Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is Irish (OL) marked?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I want over 500 points - but am worried if I failed my ordinary level subject (Irish) . . . I did get an honour in the Junior Cert, and was still pretty good at it in 5th year (averaging 90%+ in OL). However I did ZILCH in the last 12 months, and I am beginning to ponder since I woke up this morning after a bad dream (an E in Irish).

All the good courses where I'm going generally require a D3 in OL Irish (among many other things) - are there any exemption / entry exams I could take (UL)? Or would they let me off for failing such a minor need?

It's not set in stone that I failed - I just have no idea how it's marked . . .

Oral (150m); Perfect on the reading . . . Then I kept the conversation going although I was stuttering a little, and wasn't too revealing - resulting in alot of questions being asked - all of which I understood and answered but in a slow manner.

Paper 1; SCEAL (60m); Wrote on how I made a team, won a final, half time occurances - boring ****e basically - One refill page in total, very average grammar.
    LITIR (60m); I wrote on getting a job in England and not wanting to return home to college in Ireland - I'm very happy with this - possibly more than anything in my exam, used some phrases I remembered from my JC course and that got me through - again, average grammar and one refill page - layout was perfect however.
    COMPREHENSION (100m); I basically quoted 1, maybe 2-3 lines of paragraph for every answer - a few of which I feel may be wrong anyway? I had my own minor input in each however.

Listening (120m); Disaster really, couldn't understand the questions just like the Junior Cert three years ago, gave it a bash and wrote down the words surrounding the questions I heard on the tape, but I feel as though I did VERY poor here, about only 25% of the answers I have confidence in! Do they give attempt marks for translating the questions?

Paper 2 (110m); Disasterous, Only knew one story, but luckily came up in the concentrated part of (A) so did a fairly good answer on Claire Sa Spair, the 20-marker question at the bottom of the page I left unanswered. As for the poetry, knew nothing here either but did the best I could of what was in front of me - say anywhere from quarter to half marks on (B)!

BTW - I do have a history of being negative after exams - maybe its the feeling of being this test being crap compared to the others I did very well in? But could anyone conjure a result for me? I can't go back studying until I get some opinions, how hard is the Oral marked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I bet you'll pass....Paper 2 is only worth 18%. Oral is marked easily afaik. In the RC's you still get the majority of marks even if you don't change much. If the letter is laid out right and you have a decent start and end you'll have most marks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Ah you'll deffo pass with that I did worse in the mock and got 57%

Advertisement