Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library of The Nocturnal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

got my copy of pliny the elders Natural History today ^_^

book im reading at the moment : Vampire Hunter D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

The cartoon/film is amazing. I have plans to steal your book when you're finished.

Currently reading Interview with the Vampire. I really should have gotten round to this sooner. It's a really good read.

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I'd also recommend the walking dead comics. Its a series about people trying to survive a world over-run with zombies.

Focuses a lot on the characters and not too much on the zombes. Found the series a very good read so far.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

koth wrote: »
    I'd also recommend the walking dead comics. Its a series about people trying to survive a world over-run with zombies.

Focuses a lot on the characters and not too much on the zombes. Found the series a very good read so far.
    amazing series! i was immediately hooked and spent a weekend reading 50 issues,
    saw the volumes (hardbound collections) in forbidden planet, but they are pricey, especially since you gotta buy 3 or 4 for 30+euros each. :(

Nerin wrote: »
    amazing series! i was immediately hooked and spent a weekend reading 50 issues,
    saw the volumes (hardbound collections) in forbidden planet, but they are pricey, especially since you gotta buy 3 or 4 for 30+euros each. :(

That is pricey seeing as you can get the paperback volumes for around €12. Just after picking up volumes 3+5. Just waiting on vol.4 to arrive in the post:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I am Legend by Richard Matheson. Read the book, then go curse Will Smith for destroying it's concepts with a s****y movie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Blood Lite by the Horror Writers Association. A fantastic collection of shorts that are perfect for before bed reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

the nemisis file by paul bruce
    its the story of an SAS execution squad sent up north during the troubles, while not dark you get a great picture of what tribulations he went through before become an alcoholic and destroying his life

on a darker note, the sabriel trilogy by garth nix
    there good reads where WWII england meets a world of magic (not actually england just what time period its in XD but in another world..... Im confusing myself now...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

reading charlie brookers screen burn right now. Really interesting look at the decline of all things truthful or even just good on television. I dip into it most nights when I'm about to drift off.

Pretty much anything by Charles Stross. Lot of computers, math, and Old Ones rolled together. I may not get the math but I get what a basilisk is and want that app on my cell phone.

• Advertisement

If anyone wants to learn a bit about the dark side of teh innerwebz, I suggest "steal this computer". Good read.

SDooM wrote: »
    If anyone wants to learn a bit about the dark side of teh innerwebz, I suggest "steal this computer". Good read.
    Guessing by the title it would be an update of "Steal This Book", for the information age ,eh Doom.

Guessing by the title it would be an update of "Steal This Book", for the information age ,eh Doom.

I don't think it is an update, more of a companion.

I don't think it is an update, more of a companion.
    Sounds intriguing, I may have to check it out. The original volume was highly entertaining to read, even if most of the info was hopelessly outdated by the time I got a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Mr Fonnen

I read what a carve up by johnathan coe the other day its good night reading

Been reading the Complex. Screw horror, Scientology is terrifying.

Been reading the Complex. Screw horror, Scientology is terrifying.
    Careful what you say about Scientology Doom. They love to destroy critics lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Currently reading Making History by Stephen Fry and re-reading the first Harry Potter Book (A bi-annual event) would very much recommend Mr. Fry's novels, very well written, in Particular The Stars' Tennis Balls, a kind of modern retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo. Reading like a fiend at the moment due to having no TV and Internet at home so any recommendations are appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

reading a historical/mythical fiction fantasy based on the story of Deirdre and the Sons of Uisne. really really enjoying it so far, though the spelling of Naoise's name is driving me nuts.

in irish, it's Naoise, to the best of my knowledge. Now the book uses a lot of irish spellings for names, and has a pronunciation guide too... and in the pronunciation guide, it's pronounced the same - 'nee-sha', but spelt naisi. i know it's pronounced neesha, but every time i come across the name, my head pronounces it to rhyme with daisy. driving me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

reading a historical/mythical fiction fantasy based on the story of Deirdre and the Sons of Uisne. really really enjoying it so far, though the spelling of Naoise's name is driving me nuts.

in irish, it's Naoise, to the best of my knowledge. Now the book uses a lot of irish spellings for names, and has a pronunciation guide too... and in the pronunciation guide, it's pronounced the same - 'nee-sha', but spelt naisi. i know it's pronounced neesha, but every time i come across the name, my head pronounces it to rhyme with daisy. driving me nuts.

One of the best arguments I've ever had was a drunken row with a then girlfriend over the correct pronunciation of an Irish name. Good times. :pac:

I just reread a rake of Terry Pratchett books, and started on some Bill Bryson ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

haha... i have the same arguements daily, but that's usually with twats over the phone who dont actually need my name, but insist on having it, and then don't understand why i get pissed off when they deliberately spell it wrong for the sake of 'making things easier'. for christ's sakes, there's 5 letter in my name, dropping it down to 4, and spelling 3 of them wrong is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Dont know if they're here already: The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.

Continuing my reading journey through the weird and wonderful and awful religious aspects of our world I read this book on the Rapture:

Have a Nice Doomsday

Funny informative and interesting, i'd give it 3.5 Holy returning Christian warriors out of 5.

I want to dig out a book I bought on the inquisition next.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I want to dig out a book I bought on the inquisition next.

spanish_inquisition.jpg

Mac Beth anyone?
    makes sense, a world in turmoil, day becomes night?
    makes perfect sense and when its not on your leaving cert course its enjoyable :P

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    Mac Beth anyone?
    makes sense, a world in turmoil, day becomes night?
    makes perfect sense and when its not on your leaving cert course its enjoyable :P
    That or a Midsummer Night's Dream

That or a Midsummer Night's Dream
    I've actually never read it, really should though, know the story sounds pretty fantastic, anyways!
    I've already spoken about the author garth nix but I've gotta reiterate!
    go read the Sabriel trilogy, very dark and menacing with a nice mixture of worlds, (country divided in two by a wall, north of the wall nothing mechanical works and modern things literally fall apart, magic rules, south of the wall magic can only be used when the wind blows from the north and when this happens mechanical objects stop working, this is a world based in the 1920's)

Joe R. Lansdale. His short stories are disturbing as all get out. I'm rereading his collection High Cotton for the fourth time right now.

• Advertisement

wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not, seeing as it has been a while since someone posted here.

Would like to recommend Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link.
    Taken from Amazon.co.uk
    Blending fairytale, fantasy, horror, myth and mischief in a delicious cocktail, Kelly Link creates a world like no other, where ghosts of girlfriends past rub up against Scrabble-loving grandmothers with terrifying magic handbags, wizards sit alongside morbid babysitters, and we encounter a people-eating monster who claims to have a sense of humour. With more than a pinch of macabre humour, this is writing to come back from the dead for.

Even the design of the book is nocturnal, black cover with the outside of the pages painted black.

c21417.jpg

Advertisement