Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library of The Nocturnal

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Found this in a book store over the weekend. Just had to buy it.
    Any reviews I've found seem to be good. Can't wait to read it.

Thought it might something some nocts might enjoy.

queenvictoria.jpg
    From Amazon.co.uk

There were many staff at Kensington Palace, fulfilling many roles; a man who was employed to catch rats, another whose job it was to sweep the chimneys. That there was someone expected to hunt Demons did not shock the new Queen; that it was to be her was something of a surprise.

London, 1838. Queen Victoria is crowned; she receives the orb, the sceptre, and an arsenal of blood-stained weaponry. Because if Britain is about to become the greatest power of the age, there s the small matter of the demons to take care of first...

But rather than dreaming of demon hunting, it is her love for Prince Albert that occupies her thoughts. Can she dedicate her life to saving her country when her heart belongs elsewhere?

With lashings of glistening entrails, decapitations, and foul demons, this masterly new portrait will give a fresh understanding of a remarkable woman, a legendary monarch, and quite possibly the best Demon Hunter the world has ever seen . . .

A E Moorat weaves a seamlessly lurid tapestry of royal biography, gothic horror and fist-gnawing comedy as he lifts the veil on what really took place on the dark and cobbled streets of 19th-century England.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Spotted these in the bookstore yesterday:D

sssm.jpg
    From amazon.co.uk

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters expands the original text of the beloved Jane Austen novel with all-new scenes of giant lobsters, rampaging octopi, two-headed sea serpents, and other biological monstrosities. As our story opens, the Dashwood sisters are evicted from their childhood home and sent to live on a mysterious island full of savage creatures and dark secrets. While sensible Elinor falls in love with Edward Ferrars, her romantic sister Marianne is courted by both the handsome Willoughby and the hideous man-monster Colonel Brandon. Can the Dashwood sisters triumph over meddlesome matriarchs and unscrupulous rogues to find true love? Or will they fall prey to the tentacles that are forever snapping at their heels? This masterful portrait of Regency England blends Jane Austen’s biting social commentary with ultraviolent depictions of sea monsters biting. It’s survival of the fittest—and only the swiftest swimmers will find true love!

and this one:)

pride-prejudice-zombies.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Read through the whole thread, some great books recommended.

Just finished the latest Pratchett (Unseen Academicals) and it does to football what Moving Pictures did to cinema and Making Money did to banking etc etc, but I'm really posting to recommend anything you get your hands on by Neill Gaiman.

I started reading his books because his name kept cropping up as an amazing writer for comics/graphic novels, but wow, his novels are amazing.

(following aren't spoilers, he generally gives alot away on the back of the book, the magic is in the telling)

The Graveyard Book - Story about a child who is adopted by the ghosts in a cemetery and grows up there. Aimed more at younger readers, it's quite beautiful.

The Neverwhere - The novel is on my to-do list, but the graphic novel is hugely inventive. About an odd dimension out-of-step with real world London, great characters etc.

American Gods - Story about how all the immigrants to America brought their gods with them and how the old gods are fighting for survival against the new gods (gods of the internet, of credit cards, of mass media etc)

Stardust (recently made into a movie) - A perfect fairytale. Has enough edge to keep an adult reader interested but uses tried and tested tricks from the days of the Grimm bros.

Anansi Boys - Anansi the spider god dies and this is the story of his unwitting son. Pretty damn excellent.

I listed them in the order I read them, not chronological, though the books don't interact with each other.

He's the type of author that does things you'd never think of, mind boggling twists and story arcs at times.

Anyhows, I think the contents of even the lightest of his stories has a dark little twist for nocturnal types. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

All the Neil Gaiman books I bought are in my ex's apartment whom I lent them too. Damn. :pac:

Picked up chew. Premise of the comic looks promising.

Chew_01.jpg
    From play.com

Tony Chu is a detective with a secret. A weird secret. Tony Chu is Cibopathic, which means he gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats. It also means he's a hell of a detective, as long as he doesn't mind nibbling on the corpse of a murder victim to figure out whodunit, and why. He's been brought on by the Special Crimes Division of the FDA, the most powerful law enforcement agency on the planet, to investigate their strangest, sickest, and most bizarre cases.

• Advertisement

Picked up Air vol. 1 + 2 today. Looks like it could be a good series.

200px-Air_1.jpg
    From amazon.com

Ladies and gentlemen, there's been a change in our flight plan. You may have heard of a group called the Etesian Front -- vigilantes dedicated to taking the skies back from terrorism. Sounds like a noble cause, right? But there's more to them than meets the eye. They're after someone I know. Someone who is either an average frequent flier -- or a terrorist. And he's got a secret. Something that will change the way we fly -- and the way we see technology -- forever.

To find him, we've altered course. We're en route to a country that doesn't exist on any maps. Only one person knows how to get us there: me. My name is Blythe, and I'll be your stewardess today. So buckle your seatbelts -- this will be the flight of your life.

Another one I picked up. Lots of blurbs on the cover from other comic book people, such as Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis and Brian Azzarello.

Really looking forward to reading it.

200px-Unknown_Soldier_1.jpg
    From amazon.com

Welcome to Northern Uganda. In 2002, it's a place where tourists are hacked to death with machetes, 12-year-olds with AK-47s wage war, and celebrities futilely try to get people to care. Moses Lwanga is a pacifist doctor caught at the center.

But when his life is threatened, Moses suddenly realizes he knows how to kill all too well. What is this voice telling him the only way to fix what's wrong with the country is by slaughtering those responsible? What is Moses' connection to another past bandagewrapped warrior?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

koth wrote: »
    Another one I picked up. Lots of blurbs on the cover from other comic book people, such as Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis and Brian Azzarello.

Really looking forward to reading it.

200px-Unknown_Soldier_1.jpg
    I am so tracking this down

Another one in my to-read pile.

Winter_Men_cover_001.jpg
    From amazon.co.uk

In the modern, post-collapse Soviet Union, criminal gangs rule under the aegis of a crumbled government, and old soldiers roam the streets...as do old superheroes. One such man is Kris Kalenov, a former member of the Russian elite military force 'Red 11', now a Moscow policeman.

Caught up in a kidnapping case, Kalenov encounters the dark heart of the New Russia at every turn, bringing him into conflict and allegiance with friends and enemies alike as he searches for both a missing girl, and the secret of the Soviet super-project codenamed 'Winter'. Author Brett Lewis and artist John Paul Leon ("Static") present a tour-de-force graphic novel soaked in vodka, blood and sweat. Warning: Adults Only!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Just some advice don't read 'The Origin of Species' if you're in to that kind of thing in the first place..Darwin was not a witty or entertaining man..im about to start reading a book called 'Whisky Galore' by Compton Mackenzie.

n172992.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

FINALLY, LZ has got his hands on Batman: Vampire, this is literally years in the making. :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Haven't been reading anything decent in ages but as I'm heading to Savannah, Georgia in a few weeks one of my friends insisted I read 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' as it's set there. The name sounds far darker than it actually is but it's a great book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Can;t find the book your looking for, this maybe the problem....

1yJfG.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I just finished catching up on Marvel's Noir line. Very interesting stuff, although Luke Cage, and Daredevil were weak entries in my opinion. Looking forward to the Iron Man volume though.

Something I thought you lot might enjoy.

Night Owls

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Reading This right now, 7th book in my favourite series.

Dark undertones...check!

Deals with underworld and otherworldly creatures...check!

Awesome storyline from book one through to now...?

Check!:D

51VaQUU7XEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Imagine, for a moment, the worst crimes against humanity. Picture the cruelest affronts to decency. Conjure your darkest nightmares... and then realize it could all be so much worse. When civilization crumbles in one terrifying moment; when people are gleefully breaking into unthinkable acts of violence all around you; when everyone you love has died screaming in agony: What do you do? There is no help. There is no hope. There is no escape. There are only the Crossed. Garth Ennis has pulled out all the stops to write the most depraved and twisted book of his career, one that also may be his most poignant human drama! Crossed is Ennis' horrifically visceral exploration of the pure evil that humans are truly capable of indulging and collected here are all ten heart-stopping chapters. This gut-wrenching vision is brought to vivid (and more than a little disturbing) life by his partner in crime Jacen Burrows.

Only started reading it, and definitely some of the most disturbing stuff I've read by Ennis .

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

hello :) well ive recently finished the last book in the George R R Martin series 'a song of fire and ice' im absolutely gutted im finished, ive got slight withdrawal symptoms but im getting through :cool: ive read about another, the last one but i can see head nor tail of it arriving soon :(

im also looking for any cool vampire novels, except twilight

ShadowGal wrote: »
    im also looking for any cool vampire novels, except twilight
    Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series may appeal to you then.

• Advertisement

Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series may appeal to you then.

thanks, ill investigate. im not too much into the soft vampire stuff if you know what i mean

edit; apart from Ann rice (i know, hypocritical much)

thanks, ill investigate. im not too much into the soft vampire stuff if you know what i mean

edit; apart from Ann rice (i know, hypocritical much)
    Anita's nickname is The Executioner.

just had a google, Anita Blake doesnt look too bad

snap . thanks. ive got a few book floating around my house at the mo but im not getting into any of them

I live to help.

hello :) well ive recently finished the last book in the George R R Martin series 'a song of fire and ice' im absolutely gutted im finished, ive got slight withdrawal symptoms but im getting through :cool: ive read about another, the last one but i can see head nor tail of it arriving soon :(

Worst thing about them is how long he takes to write books. Doubt the series'll ever finish. :mad:

Worst thing about them is how long he takes to write books. Doubt the series'll ever finish. :mad:

did you read it too ?? i loved it !

They're brilliant books, very dark, but I've always enjoyed them.

They're brilliant books, very dark, but I've always enjoyed them.

coool, any favorite characters ?

• Advertisement

coool, any favorite characters ?

Arya Stark'd be my favourite I think.

Advertisement