Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Big Roundabouts and turn right question

Options
  • 13-06-2008 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

When I come to a big huge roundabout. (example would be the roudabouts up by Grange Castle.) Is it ok to approach in thrid gear and take them in third?

Also when your turning right from a single lane (traffic lights) onto a dual carraigeway do you turn right onto go into the left hand lane or right hand lane or does it matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Washout wrote: »
    Hi guys,

When I come to a big huge roundabout. (example would be the roudabouts up by Grange Castle.) Is it ok to approach in thrid gear and take them in third?

If your car can handle it in third gear than yes it's fine, there's no rule saying that 2nd will work for all roundabouts.
    Also when your turning right from a single lane (traffic lights) onto a dual carraigeway do you turn right onto go into the left hand lane or right hand lane or does it matter?

The left hand lane would be the one to use, for a 2 lane dual carriage way the right hand lane is used for overtaking. Unless of course you intend on turning right soon after joining the dual carriage way, in which case the right hand lane would be the one to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You must enter onto the left lane. It is illegal to enter onto the right hand lane unless directed otherwise.

In reality it's not so simple. In congested traffic, a driver on the right lane may leave space for you. It would not be practical to wait until drivers on both sides make room.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

i was always told to take a round about in 2nd, but i presume that if the roundabout was big, to move up into 3rd when the engine needed you to move it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cornertalk

You must enter onto the left lane. It is illegal to enter onto the right hand lane unless directed otherwise.

Does this apply if you're coming off a roundabout in the right lane onto a dual carriageway?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cornertalk wrote: »
    Does this apply if you're coming off a roundabout in the right lane onto a dual carriageway?

I'm a bit confused about what your trying to say, but unless you are overtaking or are on a dual carriage way about to take a right turn, use the left hand lane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

The rule is you should drive reasonably close to the left hand side of the road so in the case of a dual carriageway you need to be in the left hand lane. So when turning right onto a dual carriageway at a junction i.e turning right at the junction from Santry lane to go return to the test centre for SGS BAllymun you need to finish in the left hand lane. If you finish on the right hand lane you will be in the wrong postion approaching the roundabout to take the 2nd exit. This will more than likely cost you your driving test! The right hand lane as said already is for overtaking, faster moving traffic or if you're turning right ahead at a junction or taking the 3rd exit on a roundabout ahead. To say that it is illegal to drive on the right hand lane is untrue!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

If you have enough speed up on the approach to a roundabout and you're in 3rd gear but there are no cars on the roundabout then you can take it in 3rd no problem. If you're approaching it in 3rd and there are 1 or 2 cars on the roundabout but then there is a gap developing where you can continue then drop into 2nd gear and then go. Approcah the roundabout in 3rd gear!! This gives you options to go if it is clear from the right or stop comfortably if you have to or drop into 2nd gear if you lost some speed or a gap developing when it is safe to continue in 2nd gear. If the roundabout is big enough, i.e Darndale, Artane, Donaghmede, Big Roundabout at SGS Ballymun and you have enough speed up then get up into 3rd gear. When you exit the roundabout you should be in the left hand lane or close to the left hand side of the road. Hope that clears that up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

coolshark wrote: »
    To say that it is illegal to drive on the right hand lane is untrue!!
    In my previous post I said it was illegal to enter a dual carriageway on the righthand lane e.g. when entering from a minor road and waiting in the centre median to complete the manoeuvre.

There is no problem entering from a roandabout or a junction with lights but if one is waiting in the centre median (in a junction not controlled by lights) and the right lane is free of traffic, I was always under the impression that it was illegal to complete this manoeuvre if it meant entering into the righthand lane.

I'm open to correction.

Advertisement