Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Collins or Bill O'Herlihy?

• 13-06-2008 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Before the tournament I would have chosen Bill every time. Now I'm not so sure. In the first match Bill had only the barest clue of who was playing, and the whole thing seemed thrown together. If I want a bunch of people who are ignorant about the teams, I've got me and all my friends.

Collins seems to have done the work. He can cite previous matches, and individual players' league form. He seems a bit anxious to impress, though, and sometimes tries to crack off a final one-liner when it would be better to leave the last word to the panel.

What do ye think? (I've kept this off the commentary thread, because it seems like a side issue.)

Who do prefer....? 140 votes

Bill 0'Herlihy
    0%
    Peter Collins
    100%
    SickBoymewsoBounty HunterMossy Monkmike65Ruu_OlddreginDrag00n79dougalLafortezzazAbbojankPsychedelicDampsquidinvincibleirishweemcdFozzyGillieBig Earssprinkles 140 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Peter Collins
    I always thought PC was a tool. The fact that he was the anchor for Formula 1 coverage on RTE didn't exactly persuade me to think that he was particularly knowledgable about football.
    Have to say though, I have been impressed with him throughout the tournament. I would have said before the Euros that Darragh Moloney would be the most likely challenger to Bills crown, but its looking like PC is on the up.

Dont mind Bill for Internationals, cause at least then every second sentence isn't one about 'ManYoo'. It's more like every 5th sentence...
    I actually think that Bill showed more background knowledge about the lesser fancied teams than any of his esteemed pundits. I think they at least are honest in saying they aren't all that well versed on Turkey, Austria, Romania etc. Rather that than hear them bullshit about these teams having just Wikied them before the cameras roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Liiiiive!

Collins does a good job, like you say, he knows what he's talking about which is impressive. Bill basically goes with what the lads say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Peter Collins
    I was impressed with him yesterday, cracking a few jokes for the 1st Apres match was good. It is good to have someone different now and again bu Bill is still ahead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Bill likes to get a good arguemnent going. Makes a silly comment and gets everyone's wick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Peter Collins
    Bill likes to get a good arguemnent going. Makes a silly comment and gets everyone's wick up.

Exactly. He knows how to get the most out of his panel.

Collins is improving though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Collins did a good job with the Formula 1, it’s a pity RTE don’t do it anymore
    He’s doing a similar good job now imo

Thread needs a poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Peter Collins
    Bill, but when he retires I'd much rather have Peter as the anchor than Darragh.

He really annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Peter Collins
    Collins was appalling on F1, seriously bad. Have not watched enough of him in euro 2008 to make a judgement.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Peter Collins
    Poll added.

I have not made my mind up yet,Collins has gone up in my book since the Euros started but I still cant make my mind up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Peter Collins
    Definately Bill as long as he is still physically able, then Collins can take over then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Peter Collins
    I voted for Bill Zero-Herlihy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Peter Collins
    Bill definitely. Like George Hamilton commentating, it's hard to imagine watching football on RTE without them :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Peter Collins
    Bill plays the 3 panelists to perfection.

He's the perfect fall-guy to get them worked up. Pretends to be stupid and innocent in his questions but really he's just stirring it up until they break a la Brady and the Wenger video this year.

And of course:
    Bill: The Sunday Times last weekend described Roy Keane as a Thug...
    Eamo: Oh, I'm not gonna listen to that sorta crap. If you...If you...IF YOU are going to start quoting..
    Bill: I'm just saying there's an alternative view.
    Eamo: If you are going to start quoting gutter journalists calling Roy Keane a thug, you can do that on yer own. If you're gonna give me Niall Quinn Mother Teresa you can do that on yer own as well. There's a lot of tabloid journalism out there and I'm not gonna listen to that kind of CRAP!

And so forth...

Finest 13mins of entertainment in Irish terrestial television history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Peter Collins
    It's not a fair fight. Collins hasn't shaken off the F1 yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Peter Collins
    funny the OP should say Bill hasn't a clue... more often than not his predictions (when he makes them) are better than the rest of the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Peter Collins
    malice_ wrote: »
    Bill definitely. Like George Hamilton commentating, it's hard to imagine watching football on RTE without them :).

ye you are spot on there! but i think that when bill does eventually hang up his okey doke then i woudlnt mind collins taking over coz he really has improved greatly! he needs a catchphrase first tho....somehting for apres match to catch on to!

"if you dont do well you will be relegated to the c team with kenny cunningham and PETER COLLINS" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Peter Collins
    i hate peter collins. his only redeeming feature is that he looks like nick cave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Peter Collins
    Bill O'Herlihy because hes live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Jazzy wrote: »
    Bill O'Herlihy because hes live

liiiiiive

okkay dokay

i do like the way bill stirs it up as well sometimes, makes the odd gaff, and its great for the entainment value to see the out comes, quite hard to pick between the two, collins may know more, buts think he takes it too seriously at times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Peter Collins
    Bill but I don't mind Peter Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Peter Collins
    Collins panders to panels own beliefs , you often see him smirking with them when talking about C.Ronaldo/England/Referees/whoever they decide to hate today , At least O'Herlihy challenges them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

gustavo wrote: »
    , At least O'Herlihy challenges them

I always was of the opinion that Bill doesn't challenge them, he just pisses Eamon off for entertainment value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Peter Collins
    Bubs101, DmanDmythDledge, micmclo, Neil1984

You should all be ashamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Peter Collins
    i dont know i just like bill he knows how to rub dunphy up the wrong way and hes just gas he just the complete opposite to anything they have on sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Peter Collins
    I voted Bill. Collins might actually be the more competent presenter, very dull though, seems to be trying to shake off that image tho with this attempt at humour with the panel......
    Bill brings that unintentional slapstick humour to proceedings, eg the other day when he was trying to read a Russian players name off the autocue, and gave up mid-sentence and just started laughin in the direction of the panel....or occasionally when he might ask Giles a question, and then the camera zooms out showin Bill havin absolutely no interest whatsoever in what Giles is saying in reply....its all just pure comedy and very entertaining :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Peter Collins
    Bill definately by a mile. He's some actor in fairness to him, puts on this naive stupid persona but often asks just the right question or makes the right point to cause a bit of controversy. What he lacks in general football knowledge he often makes up for with this. He's clearly a very intelligent man judging by his personal success.

On an completely entirely different topic, I miss Murry Walker on the F1 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Peter Collins
    Bill is a legend.

Peter Collins aint.

Having said that Peter Collins has improved a lot since he started out on football and he has performed strongly the last couple of days.

However with Bill, Dunphy, Gilesie and one of Chippy/Souness in the studio, there is always the possibility of magic in the air. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Peter Collins
    Bill for me too altough PC has improved greatly. Wonder will Bill be back for the Group of Death games or has he been relegated to the B team! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Peter Collins
    Bill really gets the lads arguing and it's great for the entertainment value however last night Peter took a few swipes at them himself. I think he has a different way of dealing with them and the more he sits in the seat the better the banter will be. He's a good backup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

As people have said already, I think Bill is best with Gilesie, Chippy and Dunphy because he knows how to get them worked up, and (for the most part) calm them down when they get too aggro.

I didn't really care for Peter Collins before this tournament but I think he's been really good. He seems to like the craic with Ronnie Whelan and Graham Souness. There's no one better then Bill, but considering he can't be there for every match I think PC is a good stand in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Peter Collins
    Well Bill has been quite unwell recently so we might get Peter for the rest of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Peter Collins
    Bill.

At least he's funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Peter Collins
    Definitely Billo. Collins is too wooden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Peter Collins
    What about Con Murphy? He's doing a decent job on MNS. If he can deal with Shoddy Collins he'll have no trouble with Dunphy and the lads.

Edit: Billo is still a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Bill's back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Anybody but Bill.

Someone said earlier that he's a ManU fan. (I wouldn't know because he doesn't spend enough time on my screen, since he presents a programme that for the most part is dedicated to expensively duplicating British channels, and on which his main tasks seem to be patronising viewers and orchestrating the hysterics of his panels of 'experts'.) But it seems a natural choice for someone who plainly would rather be golfing.

The only connection Bill O'Herlihy has with football is in his initials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Peter Collins
    How can anyone not like the legend that is Bill O'Herlihy? Collins is OK but nothing more. Bill is a national treasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

How can anyone not like the legend that is Bill O'Herlihy? Collins is OK but nothing more. Bill is a national treasure.

That's it in a nutshell, well said.

Oh and don't forget, he's also a Corkman :D

EDIT: I can hear the sighs now "she's at it again..."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Peter Collins
    Bill for me no question as I said before he does stir the ****, remember one night Liam and Dunphy were having an argument which really had started when Bill had made a comment, anyway the camera went back on Bill, don't think he was expecting it but he had a big grin on his face, class imo.

Has Peter Collins spent time in America? when he is speaking sometimes their is a hint of an American accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Peter Collins
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Bill for me no question as I said before he does stir the ****, remember one night Liam and Dunphy were having an argument which really had started when Bill had made a comment, anyway the camera went back on Bill, don't think he was expecting it but he had a big grin on his face, class imo.

LMAO. I remember that. He does stir the sh*t something rotten. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Peter Collins
    LMAO. I remember that. He does stir the sh*t something rotten. :D

Thats what makes rte coverage so great imo :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Peter Collins
    Collins has improved but it's still hard to see him as real person. Hard to put the finger on it but hes part of a crop of staff RTE have with weird accents that seems unreal or something. He has done better this time. Should let some personality into his presenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Peter Collins
    Im just waiting for Bill to mention Rooneys wedding, hes non stop with the tabloid storys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I love the way Ball cites stuff out of nowhere...Chippy took umberage to him saying Henry was booed in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

That was very funny. Brady was convinced he was spoofing. As if...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Peter Collins
    Has to be our Billo! I just had this realisation that bill,eamon,liam, and johnny giles won't be around forever... it's gonna be sooo **** when they go. Houghton, Cunningham, Stevens... that's ****in sick. Although Cunningham is almost comical so maybe that's not fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Peter Collins
    Didnt PC used to do the Beatbox on Network 2 :confused: Say no more :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Has to be our Billo! I just had this realisation that bill,eamon,liam, and johnny giles won't be around forever... it's gonna be sooo **** when they go. Houghton, Cunningham, Stevens... that's ****in sick. Although Cunningham is almost comical so maybe that's not fair.

Well Chippy is grand for the next 15 years or so, but I have a wager on that Gilsey will croke it by 2010...:(

It will be weird seeing Dunphy becoming an invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Peter Collins
    Ah Jaysus Bill is a legend.

Collins is just an Alan Partridge wannabe.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement