Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Collins or Bill O'Herlihy?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

For the record I think young Collins might grow into this role in time. I'd say Bill has one comp left in him, if even.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Peter Collins
    For the record I think young Collins might grow into this role in time. I'd say Bill has one comp left in him, if even.

I would say its been a while since he has been described as 'young Collins'.

Well he's a baby in comparison to the rest of them.

Peter Collins
    Well he's a baby in comparison to the rest of them.

Come to think of it he is hard to put an age on,what would you say..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Peter Collins
    I'd say he is late 30s

Mike.

Peter Collins
    mike65 wrote: »
    I'd say he is late 30s

I would say mid 40s but one of these 'new men' types who like to get waxed and use sun beds.They are a cnut to put a age on.

Peter Collins
    Could be, he also has a full head a nice shiny black hair which gets you a long way.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Has to be our Billo! I just had this realisation that bill,eamon,liam, and johnny giles won't be around forever... it's gonna be sooo **** when they go. Houghton, Cunningham, Stevens... that's ****in sick. Although Cunningham is almost comical so maybe that's not fair.

Kenny Cunningham has really grown into being a TV pundit. He was a tad wooden at first but has become very good (also has cut out saying "possibly so" every 5 seconds;)) He has been a extremely competant co-commentator and is finally starting to put life into his analysis.

Speaking of co-commentators, what ever happened to Jim Beglin? :confused:

Peter Collins
    Beglin is on the ITV panel. I heard him the other night.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Doesn't Beglin only do Irish matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Peter Collins hair disturbs me.

Bill is the perfect panel host because he "acts" (lol, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt) like he hasn't got a clue whats going on and therefore can be inquisitive on a variety of levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Peter Collins
    Bill = institution
    Peter Collins = long way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

funny the OP should say Bill hasn't a clue... more often than not his predictions (when he makes them) are better than the rest of the panel.

Yeah, I may have overstated that. I thought he was great yesterday, and he does play the straight-man very well. Why was Brady so grumpy with him yesterday? "I don't know where you get your facts, Bill."

Ah, I get it. He still has some Arsenal loyalty to Henry.

However with Bill, Dunphy, Gilesie and one of Chippy/Souness in the studio, there is always the possibility of magic in the air. :D:D:D

Completely agree. The gulf in class between RTE's football coverage and everyone else's is unbelievable. It's intelligent, passionate, funny, and completely fearless. I think someone wuold be bounced out of the BBC studios at half time for saying that European football is corrupt and incompetent, or criticising the FA, or having such a fierce go at individual players.

I may still have last night's porter seeping out of my liver, but RTE football makes me proud to be Irish.

BBC panel on the battle of the Somme: "I think Field-Marshall Haig will be a little disappointed with that."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Peter Collins
    A bit off topic but still relating to tv coverage, isn't hilarious how SSNs top story at 10pm was NZ v England cricket rather than anything about Holland. Wonder would this be the case if they were showing games?

• Advertisement

Peter Collins
    gogglebok wrote: »

BBC panel on the battle of the Somme: "I think Field-Marshall Haig will be a little disappointed with that."

:D It should noted that the RTE panel has developed as it as at least in part due to the vast amount of airtime availible, on the Beeb or ITV they show matches on the main channels and are always pushed for time, RTE simply clears 6 hours and says "right lads, fill your boots" So they do. :)

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    :D It should noted that the RTE panel has developed as it as at least in part due to the vast amount of airtime availible, on the Beeb or ITV they show matches on the main channels and are always pushed for time, RTE simply clears 6 hours and says "right lads, fill your boots" So they do. :)

It's a great decision. I'm the first to knock RTE for almost everything, but they really have the edge in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

peter has impressed me i have to say!

but bill shows how to grow old gracefully on tv punditry-he's like a good brandy: gets better with age......

jim magee on the other hand:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

A bit off topic but still relating to tv coverage, isn't hilarious how SSNs top story at 10pm was NZ v England cricket rather than anything about Holland. Wonder would this be the case if they were showing games?
    was the same with the rugby world cup last year!!

it could also have somethin to do with the fact england arent in it!!1

Anyway when they do cover somethin they have the rights to then every second statement is invariably: "exclusively live on SS1 now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I think someone wuold be bounced out of the BBC studios at half time for saying that European football is corrupt and incompetent, or criticising the FA, or having such a fierce go at individual players.
    Surely that is simply because they are not in the same country?

We don't get much by way of critical analysis of GAA from RTE Sport: the hype doesn't leave any room for it. So it's fair to assume that if the football was domestic and of the same scale of importance in Europe then this much-vaunted fearlessness (who should they be afraid of?) would be rather less in evidence.

• Advertisement

SectionF wrote: »
    Surely that is simply because they are not in the same country?

We don't get much by way of critical analysis of GAA from RTE Sport: the hype doesn't leave any room for it. So it's fair to assume that if the football was domestic and of the same scale of importance in Europe then this much-vaunted fearlessness (who should they be afraid of?) would be rather less in evidence.

But they are just as fearless about the FAI as they are about any English organisation. I'm sure they must have come under pressure to go easier on the Irish team, but they slaughtered them when it was against the mood of the country, in Italia 90, and they weren't any gentler on McCarthy or Kerr or Staunton. The only time I'm seen evidence of caution, let alone fear, was when they made Dunphy read out his allegations about Venables rather than improvise them. They still let him go ahead, and it was biting.

But they are just as fearless about the FAI as they are about any English organisation. I'm sure they must have come under pressure to go easier on the Irish team, but they slaughtered them when it was against the mood of the country, in Italia 90, and they weren't any gentler on McCarthy or Kerr or Staunton. The only time I'm seen evidence of caution, let alone fear, was when they made Dunphy read out his allegations about Venables rather than improvise them. They still let him go ahead, and it was biting.
    I don't buy it. It's a national pastime to slag off FAI. Nothing exceptional there.

SectionF wrote: »
    I don't buy it. It's a national pastime to slag off FAI. Nothing exceptional there.

My point is that there is nothing like it on British television, and if there was heads would roll. It is, as you say, and a national pastime to slag the FAI. Some of the best and most vociferous examples of it come from Dunphy and co, and they should be applauded for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Peter Collins
    APM, applehunter, Bubs101, DmanDmythDledge, DSB, dsmythy, IRISHSPORTSGUY, micmclo, Neil1984, Seaneh, SectionF, shockwave, Telgere

seriously, wat the **** are you thinkng?

My point is that there is nothing like it on British television, and if there was heads would roll.
    That is why, if you were looking for a parallel, you would have to see RTE Sport getting stuck into the GAA before you called them fearless or groundbreaking. Now that would be career-threatening.
    There is no downside for an Irish broadcaster dissing English football. It's fantasy punditry. That is also why the programme can have an anchor who patently knows very little about football and has little interest beyond the theatre that is being staged in his studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dub13 wrote: »
    Poll added.

I have not made my mind up yet,Collins has gone up in my book since the Euros started but I still cant make my mind up.

Agree with Dub13 on this. He has gone up in my estimation since the Euros started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Peter Collins
    collins on again tonight :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I like both, Bill just seems like the trademark of the RTE along with Dunphy, just seems right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

OPENROAD wrote: »
    collins on again tonight :mad::mad:

Well don't forget Bill has been seriously ill lately.

Peter Collins
    Well don't forget Bill has been seriously ill lately.

seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Peter Collins
    Recovering from cancer since late December. Hopefully he is doing ok.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/oherlihy-on-mend-after-cancer-battle-1253184.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Peter Collins
    Recovering from cancer since late December. Hopefully he is doing ok.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/oherlihy-on-mend-after-cancer-battle-1253184.html

Wow I had no idea. As you say, hopefully he's doing alright.

Peter Collins
    I did not know either, hope he is fully recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Peter Collins
    mewso wrote: »
    Hard to put the finger on it but hes part of a crop of staff RTE have with weird accents that seems unreal or something. Should let some personality into his presenting.
    this.

He sounds like one of these hollywood reporter style guys. real fake sounding accent. drives me mad.

but....
    If you are a fan of Peter Collins, tonight is your night, as he is all you can hear in the Nigeria - South Korea match:mad:

Peter Collins
    Eeugh! Peter Collins, did you have to search out this thread and BUMP it?

Peter Collins
    lol yep.
    after listening to him and him alone for 15 mins, including the sound of his breathing when no other sound was to be heard, I just had to know if anyone disliked his style as much as me.
    lmao, he just came on again there outta knowherelol.gif (i'm in a different tab)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Peter Collins
    Poll would have been alot closer if the choices were beteen Peter Collins and bowel cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Can I not vote for Darragh Moloney??? he's better than both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Peter Collins
    SarahBM wrote: »
    Can I not vote for Darragh Moloney??? he's better than both.

He's absolute rubbish. The charisma of a clamp only more irritating.

I'd pay the fine to get him off the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

He's absolute rubbish. The charisma of a clamp only more irritating.

I'd pay the fine to get him off the air.

could you explain exactly why you dont like moloney? i think he's been great so far

Peter Collins
    could you explain exactly why you dont like moloney? i think he's been great so far

me too.
    I think hes alot easier going when the lads go at it arguin, whereas collins looks like hes gettin nervy that they won't get through the material before the commercials.
    Tries a bit too hard to be a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Darragh is great! he makes great points, has the craic too. not half as boring as the likes of murphy and collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Peter Collins
    Tony O Donoghue has an air of smug git off him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Peter Collins
    Joanne Cantwell should get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Peter Collins

He just irritates me, I would say that everyone I know who watches football dislikes him. A lot of it stems from his time on The Premiership. Just awful.

Plus he wears glasses and much like Pol Pot, I've never trusted anyone with spectacles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Peter Collins
    Bill hasn't been the same since they stopped showing the Playstation ad with the vultures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Peter Collins
    This really should be a Maloney versus Collins thread. I for one am delighted I haven't had to see or hear Peter Collins this summer. He gives the air that he would much rather be an American news anchor, but only for one of the major networks. Pompous git, and although I'd rather hear Darragh Maloney in the commentary box he's much more my cup of tea than Collins. Commentary on the RTE is unbearable (with George Hamilton taking great delight in announcing the first corner of the half, especially if it happens more that ten mins in "Believe it or not that is Brazil's first corner", fascinating) but the punditry is unmissable, unless it involves Ronnie "The Granny" Whelan.

Advertisement