Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Speed Traps

Options
  • 13-06-2008 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Heading to work this morning in Dundalk and there is a Garda Speed Trap at Knockbridge Football field (50kph Zone) coming out of the village heading for the Ardee Road.

Now the reason am mad is because one its a long straight road and where the Garda was parked at the football field there is a 80kph sign post right behind him.

Second, every fecking morning there is a eejit in a 06 VW Passat with blue number plates who thinks his car has wings and trys to overtake everyone in one go. The Carrick to Dundalk road is danagerous, its has bad bends, hidden dips and "The Bog Road" with its now has a 10 foot drop either side of it.

This fooker over took 5 cars since morning on one straight with a white van coming towards him, pushed his way back in, and then over took the other two cars. He does this every morning and enough is enough I am going to report him to the Garda for danagerous driving.

But my point is, what good is it having a speed trap in a 50kph zone when there is bad driving like that happening on the secondary road crap roads.

I was doing 55kph, I bet you I will get a ticket for that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

One question was the gaurd holding the gun out the window?
    If so then he would've pulled you on the spot, he may have just being sleeping but everybody was slowing down.

I doubt you'll be gettting a ticket. Sure its always like that with check points right inside the 50kph zone, just to make everybody SLAM on the breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

No he was standing behind the car, its funny because you can speed up heading towards him because your entering a 80kph zone.

I got a few flashes so I knew it was coming just wasnt sure where we would be.

To me I see this as a money earner for the Government and a way of boosting Garda figures. Why dont they go to black spots instead. Why dont they drive more unmarked cars around the roads.

For example this morning, at the M1 roundabout at Dundalk South this old man decides that the best route around it was to half of his Passat on the left lane and half on the right lad.

I see bad driving every morning on the road and where are the Gardas. No where!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

If your man in the Passat is driving like this every morning, send a letter to the local traffic corp (Dundalk most likely) advising them when and where this is happening, maybe they will act on your information, maybe not, but at least you have done your bit and his driving will be a matter of record for any futher incident.

As for the the speed trap, sure you now by now they are not there for safety purposes, just revenue collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

well the standing behind the car could be bad news!
    But wait and see now its done, was you speedo showing about 55 or you guessing.

Well ive have seen the guys who can't decide what lane to be in driving garda cars soooo!!

It is someting that is being constantly said do your speed checks but on back roads but its the money?! Its not the gardai on the streets who pick the spots the guys sitting in the offices looking at maps saying right here! unless a community gets up in arms about people speeding through an estate or on the back roads then they might put a presence someplace actually dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

kluivert wrote: »

ah here, harsh and all as it is, you were pre warned and didnt slow down.

you can moan at the guards all you want but have yourself to blame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Garda Speed Trap at Knockbridge Football field (50kph Zone)
    If the speed limit is posted then it could hardly be described as a 'trap'.

It could only be described as a trap if one were required to guess the speed limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Probably just part of the current campain. Make people think there are more Guard's out and about by getting them to sit on Main roads. higher volumes of people on main routes so that will probably get some message across.

Standing behind the car? Wasn't having a splash and dash was he?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To me I see this as a money earner for the Government and a way of boosting Garda figures. Why dont they go to black spots instead. Why dont they drive more unmarked cars around the roads.

The gardai have spoken about this before to be fair. They police the roads that has heaviest usage and just dont have the resources to do secondary roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

faceman wrote: »
    The gardai have spoken about this before to be fair. They police the roads that has heaviest usage and just dont have the resources to do secondary roads.

Which is Dublin Dublin and Dublin :D

Lol Its a Speed Trap when the bugger is hiding out of view ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Ws it not outside a village?

Surely you would want a visible garda presence outside a village, for people to slow down coming into it ?

Kids / people crossing the road / cars pulling out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

yeah i know that road, its not one you should be speeding on anyway, should stick to the limit as it has a lot of bad bends on it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

hey i know,

the gards are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This fooker over took 5 cars since morning on one straight with a white van coming towards him, pushed his way back in, and then over took the other two cars.

I think he was here posting on the overtaking thread:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Heading to work this morning in Dundalk and there is a Garda Speed Trap at Knockbridge Football field (50kph Zone) coming out of the village heading for the Ardee Road.

Now the reason am mad is because one its a long straight road and where the Garda was parked at the football field there is a 80kph sign post right behind him.

Second, every fecking morning there is a eejit in a 06 VW Passat with blue number plates who thinks his car has wings and trys to overtake everyone in one go. The Carrick to Dundalk road is danagerous, its has bad bends, hidden dips and "The Bog Road" with its now has a 10 foot drop either side of it.

This fooker over took 5 cars since morning on one straight with a white van coming towards him, pushed his way back in, and then over took the other two cars. He does this every morning and enough is enough I am going to report him to the Garda for danagerous driving.

But my point is, what good is it having a speed trap in a 50kph zone when there is bad driving like that happening on the secondary road crap roads.

I was doing 55kph, I bet you I will get a ticket for that.

Because the Gardai need to produce nice figures for their ludicrous "crackdowns"! They bugger all for road safety but they show they have increased "convictions"

Its about time their was a major public input to instruct these public servants where they should carry out appropriate speed checks and more importentley than any speed check, bad driving checks to increase road safety rather than collect useless fines

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

No he was standing behind the car, its funny because you can speed up heading towards him because your entering a 80kph zone.

!

How do you know they arent out in unmarked cars? the whole point of them is that ya dont see them.

plus ya cant speed up as you approach him, ya have to ait till your in the 80 zone :p

Advertisement