Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have you been stopped with your L-Plates up?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

If you have seen police pulling in Learner drivers as a result of the 6 day blitz or whatever (which started today) then please post it here...

How many police did you encounter?
    What did they say to you?
    Were you fined and so on....

Post your experiences....Best of luck all of you L-plate drivers! I am one of you :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pinkmonkey wrote: »
    If you have seen police pulling in Learner drivers as a result of the 6 day blitz or whatever (which started today) then please post it here...

How many police did you encounter?
    What did they say to you?
    Were you fined and so on....

Post your experiences....Best of luck all of you L-plate drivers! I am one of you :(
    Gardai! ;)

If this thread is about driving unaccompanied, then it will be merged with the existing thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think its more about getting a rough poll of anyone being stopping during this 6 day thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

Gardai! ;)

If this thread is about driving unaccompanied, then it will be merged with the existing thread.

Gardai??? I think you mean Gardai Siochana in that case........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 allthatjazz

I havn't been out yet.. I'm curious to know too...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

drove to work this morning (through a local estate though) and saw none, but a friend drove to tullamore from dublin at 9am this morning and saw no checkpoints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

pinkmonkey wrote: »
    Gardai??? I think you mean Gardai Siochana in that case........

careful now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

I saw "the boys" on queen st. this morning at 7am. They were letting everyone by but I'd say they were looking out for L plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smoke wrote: »
    I saw "the boys" on queen st. this morning at 7am. They were letting everyone by but I'd say they were looking out for L plates.
    Good place to find them as the MTO is there now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Erica-smiley

Drove to my last exam today actually bricking it!!:eek::eek:

But I sped home with the excitement of finishing and saw none..... Happy days :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

drove from the south dublin to dcu and back, aint seen no badge holders....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Id say they might just do nothing the first couple days so people think its grand to drive and then suddenly start checkpoints all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hmmmmm,
    Not Advocating anything here but I reckon you'd be fairly unlucky to get stopped at a checkpoint in the next week or so, despite the "Clampdown".
    I do a fair bit of mileage annually. In the 6 months till now, I've gone through TWO checkpoints.
    That said, better to stick within the law than take any risks.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

I've seen quite a number of Gardai on the backroads over the past number of days, moreso than usual. I wasn't stopped though (have no plates up) and there were no checkpoints. The whole thing is a joke though. It's been like this for so many years then overnight they try and change it - you can pass your test but that full licence is basically useless to you unless you've got somebody in the car that has a licence for two years. Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The whole thing is a joke though. It's been like this for so many years then overnight they try and change it
    If you're on your second provisional you've been given 8 months warning, any other provisional it has always been illegal to drive unacompanied.
    you can pass your test but that full licence is basically useless to you unless you've got somebody in the car that has a licence for two years. Stupid.
    If you pass your test you don't need anyone in the car with you unless you're talking about the theory test which certainly doesn't prepare you for driving on the road alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Sure about that? I thought that this whole new Gay Byrne thing meant that after passing your driving test you still weren't in the clear. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Spotted checkpoint on whatever the road between scholarstown and taylors lane is called, even though I had L's on they waved me past, most likely because my dad was with me :p

Also spotted a garda on a bike who was quite obviously looking for L plates as she cycled along.

Sure about that? I thought that this whole new Gay Byrne thing meant that after passing your driving test you still weren't in the clear. My bad.

No, this is a proposal to introduce "R", or restricted plates. This has not yet been brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Coming home from Sherkin Island today met a checkpoint on the Cork side of Skibereen, Gardai and customs, looking for L plates, discs and VRT. I have my pink slip for nearly two years though so safe enough.

There was one at Moorepark on the way down yesterday too but they appeared to be DS rather than Traffic Corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I was followed home last night around 12.30am and earlier in the day (around 4 pm) I was travelling along the ring road in Kilkenny and was stopped THREE times at three consecutive roundabouts. I'm all for a clampdown as the law is the law but that was a joke. I was stopped 3 times over less than a mile. I'm on my 2nd provisional though.

ergonomics wrote: »
    I was followed home last night around 12.30am and earlier in the day (around 4 pm) I was travelling along the ring road in Kilkenny and was stopped THREE times at three consecutive roundabouts. I'm all for a clampdown as the law is the law but that was a joke. I was stopped 3 times over less than a mile. I'm on my 2nd provisional though.

That seems a bit excessive alright, but it's nice to see the Gardai coming out in force before the 30th of June deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I've been stopped three times in the past 2 days.
    No plates up(FL), each time checked my license and asked for insurance cert..(with name and that on it..)

Then let me on..Fair amount of gardas around here though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

careful now

ummmm :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

kippy wrote: »
    Hmmmmm,
    Not Advocating anything here but I reckon you'd be fairly unlucky to get stopped at a checkpoint in the next week or so, despite the "Clampdown".
    I do a fair bit of mileage annually. In the 6 months till now, I've gone through TWO checkpoints.
    That said, better to stick within the law than take any risks.
    Kippy

Okay,
    I take back what I said.
    I've gone through 4 checkpoints since last Friday. 2 on the N 17, Outside Milltown and Claregalway respectively, one outside Swinford and one outside Balla in Mayo.
    They're obviously putting more resources into this one.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Drove from Portrush in NI to Dundalk then to Drogheda then to Lahich one nasty trip.. and back!!

saw 0 checkpoints, saw 0 speed checks...

*edit*
    full licence btw..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I drove approx 200km over the weekend between Kilkenny and Laois and saw no checkpoints and only 1 Garda speedcheck outside Abbeyleix.

I saw three gardai on patrol on my way to work, and one "L" plate driver being pulled over, i didn't see if they were accompanied or not, just noticed the gard at the window, just to let yee know. It was down near ballsbridge.

Advertisement