Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sean Kelly Tour

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I did the WW100 and I'm signed up to do the SK100 also.
    Don't think i'm ready for the full one yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Signing up for the what was the Kelly Legacy from last year, the 100km run.

Last year was excellent, well-run and a great day out. Fingers crossed the weather will be as nice as 2007!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I am planning to do it - have a cousin who lives down that direction and who swore he was going to do it too. That may have been after a few drinks mind, I will have to recheck. 160km for me thanks (although I have heard suggestions it is worse than the W200 :eek:.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The 160 does look worse than the W200, so I'm leaning either on the side of the 100, or possibly the 200 bypassing the worst climbs (says you can do that on the site) -I've still not got Sllieve Maan out of my system yet

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Would love to go down to it but I will be away on two weeks holidays at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Yea - thinking of going with a few girls from the club - 100 looks good enough - I heard the climbs are some very serious ones on the 160 one ... The distance appeals to me ... not the killer climbs...

... and you get a free SKT t shirt ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I did the 100 last year and was very impressed with the organisation, food, marshalling etc Looking to go for the 160 this time round leaving out Seskin so that way it won't be as daunting as the WW200 . The bunch start meant that there was plenty of wheels to hang on to and the group didn't really fragment until after the first food stop.
    Caroline, a further incentive for your friends - Sean Kelly also laid on 4 or 5 young male masseurs at the finish to revitalise those sagging limbs !!

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Caroline, a further incentive for your friends - Sean Kelly also laid on 4 or 5 young male masseurs at the finish to revitalise those sagging limbs !!

Aaah Sean ... such a thoughful man!

I might have to train on these hills over here if I want to try the 160 minus the massive climbs, like Tiny mentioned you could do.

72 days to go ... Can't wait for the masseurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm in, 160.
    Seskin hill is short enough so don't worry about it. There is plenty of road to recover after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'm possibly in. Probably only for the 100 though.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    I'm in, 160.
    Seskin hill is short enough so don't worry about it. There is plenty of road to recover after it.

I am sure it is ... but I am real crap climber ... usually on a hill I need beating up with a stick to go up ... could also be lazyness I guess ...

Yea - thinking of going with a few girls from the club - 100 looks good enough - I heard the climbs are some very serious ones on the 160 one ... The distance appeals to me ... not the killer climbs...

... and you get a free SKT t shirt ... :pac:

That's cool, more girls.
    can't let the boys have all the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That was my first proper event last year, really enjoyed it! Weather was ok, fierce headwind coming out of dungarvan. Really well organised (in my opinion, better than w200).

The 160km has been done a few times by a friend of mine who had also done a few 200s and he says that physically its on the same level. 3 grade 1 climbs all towards the end and the wind was a killer last year.

If you are travelling down te night before, book early. We left it late and waterford seemed to be festival city that week so most places were booked out. Ended up in a B&B about 45 mins from Dungarvan.

LDB wrote: »
    That's cool, more girls.
    can't let the boys have all the fun.

There are a good few of us training together regularly- I will PM you.

Thanks ;)

I just contacted the Sean Kelly Tour people and they said we can always sign up for 160 and just do the 100 on the day - It's the same price... i might just do that -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

I’m going for it too.

Just the 100 though, haven’t been on a bike for years, and I HATE hills!

[FONT=&quot]Is there anywhere to camp down there? [/FONT]

I just after registering now :) for the 160 ... i guess I ll have to train for it ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

I'll be doing the 160 KM too.

I’ve been put off the N81 / Blessington Road, due to too many near misses and potholes.
    Are there any good hill runs near there I could try? As, I suppose I’m going to have to do a few for the Sean Kelly thing.
    [FONT=&quot]Any help much appreciated. [/FONT]

• Advertisement

Chris Peak wrote: »
    I’ve been put off the N81 / Blessington Road, due to too many near misses and potholes.
    Are there any good hill runs near there I could try? As, I suppose I’m going to have to do a few for the Sean Kelly thing.
    [FONT=&quot]Any help much appreciated. [/FONT]

I dont like the Blessington route either ... I usually follow people ... from far behind

The worst bit seems to be just past Tallaght. So, I’m tempted to drive to Brittas and take it from there…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

I am sure it is ... but I am real crap climber ... usually on a hill I need beating up with a stick to go up ... could also be lazyness I guess ...
    It might have something to do with growing up on the Gironde! No hills.:)

sy wrote: »
    It might have something to do with growing up on the Gironde! No hills.:)
    ... as flat as can be ... so much so that we used to call anything over 5 metres high 'a hill' ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Signed up for this before the W100. I'll be doing the 100km route. Think the W200 and SK160 will have to wait until next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Lads - the 160 sounds good to me - of course, I've not done it yet but the W200 was ok, mostly I was ok on the hills it just seemed to go on for ever near the end. I'll see the Boards lads there. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

just registered for the 100

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I've signed up for the 160km.

Folks, if you've climbed the Wicklow Mts., Mt. Leinster, Slieve Bloom, etc. The Sean Kelly 160km will be ok for you, just take it at YOUR pace and pedal easy.

I'm not a fast climber but I love it. It's great for the scenic views and before you know it you're over the top!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

I'm aiming for the 160k but we'll see closer to the day.
    I did the 100k route a couple of months back and found it ok. Will need to get a few more hills in between now and then but given that the route is on my doorstep I've no excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

I did it last year the only tough climb is mahon falls, I think the difficulty was increased by the savage head wind and the fact I started so late.
    The stand out bit of road on the day in a negative sense is the descent from Mahon falls. It is quite steep narrow and badly surfaced. I think I found that hairyer than the ascent to be honest.

Advertisement