Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus/NTL Letter about excessive usage :S

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Well if your not happy with their customer service, broadband usage cap monitoring, upgrade of speeds etc why stay? why not just switch isp????

It is not exactly broadband heaven in Ireland is it?
    In other countries you pick the best one, here it seems you have to settle for the least crap one.

Do i now get the advise to leave the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Well if your not happy with their customer service, broadband usage cap monitoring, upgrade of speeds etc why stay? why not just switch isp????

Because I have no other option for TV. If I did, I would leave them completely. As it is I have to use them for that so I may as well stay with them for BB. As soon as I find a viable alternative, I will be gone unless they start to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

inforfun wrote: »
    I am using net traffic meter myself.
    That of course only tracks my pc usage, XBOX is not monitored.
    And i dont have a clue what a few ours of PES2008 would generate as it comes to data traffic.

I believe there is a few progs out there that monitor netgear router activity and not just pc activity!
    I done a quick google search there and saw 4 different programs in the first 5 results.
    It is quite possible for people to monitor router activity if they are worried about multiple users or if they have external devices that connect to the router (X360 or PS3) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I said that no isp would be as hard line as you would like people to belive. ie you get immediatly charged per mb downloaded if you go over usage very first time....

There are several ISPs in this country that do exactly this. Three and UTV both charge per MB in excess of the cap, with no warnings or leeway. I've also heard the Vodafone and Perlico also charge. Don't know anyone using these who have been charged, so can't confirm them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

so basically you want to argue????

you come here saying their terrible....

Now your saying their great cause everyone else applies charges for over use????

What is it you want lol!

• Advertisement

so basically you want to argue????

Does anyone else find this somewhat humorous?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Ha ha Mark I have seen people downloading 560gb in one month!!! Fact. Son had got a ps3 in his room and his dad didnt realise it could log into the wifi!!! lol. Son was downloading all 560gigs on movies, games and music! Half a terra of data in one month and all in a ps3 now thats impressive.

Well that's a load of crap considering you can't fit a hard drive that big into the PS3.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hightower100, you seem to have an awful attitude when it comes to discussing NTL/UPC and dealing with others in these threads including paulm17781.

You can say what you want but like other ISP's with caps UPC could be alot more upfront in relation to allow users to track their usage, this could be improved and you can spout whatever stuff you want about anything else but this still holds true.

Regardless of what price a customer pays a telco for services they should still expect good services.

Well seeing as you gripe all the time over something you have no choice in P i think its fairly ok.
    You give out aout upc here but refuse to put up with sticking to 4 channels and then moving your isp solving you tv/ broadband pack but wont. you want all the channels and broadband at low price????
    Images of child in their playpen sulking comes to mind

kensutz wrote: »
    Well that's a load of crap considering you can't fit a hard drive that big into the PS3.

I am only repeating what I was saw myself, one thing I think we all can agree on is that it is poss to connect everything to everything in I.T

• Advertisement

I am only repeating what I was saw myself, one thing I think we all can agree on is that it is poss to connect everything to everything in I.T

That's not even close to being accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

kensutz wrote: »

You can hook an external HD up to a PS3 dude, d/l whatever you want!! :pac:

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find this somewhat humorous?

Incredibly. I'm not feeding the troll anymore though.

And Paul M's bull dog mouth over bites his puppy dog ass AGAIN. eg ps3 hard drive connections and apps for monitoring multips pc usage

jor el wrote: »
    Incredibly. I'm not feeding the troll anymore though.

The sound of someone being outted! lol.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

And Paul M's bull dog mouth over bites his puppy dog ass AGAIN. eg ps3 hard drive connections and apps for monitoring multips pc usage

Right am sick of this trolling, hightower100 banned for acting the muppet!

Cabaal,

Cabaal wrote: »
    hightower100 banned for acting the muppet!

Aw :( But not before I was outed??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

surely it's the responsibility of anyone that orders a Service (whatever that service may be) to know what the rules and limits are for that service, it's not like they are difficult to find, I have never had any sympathy for people who exceed set download caps and get charged for it, if you think it's fine to download 160GB of crap in a month you should also assume it's fair enough for exceeding your limit that you didn't bother finding out - or more probably just ignored.
    I know the Telco's should also provide the Usage Information for people - it's not that difficult, UTV do it, but it's usually a bit behind so you never knew if you'd already exceeded it or were just on the limit, at the end of the day if you want to download that much stuff just find an ISP with an unlimited download option - at the end of the day you'll probably end up getting throttled at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

marcbrophy wrote: »
    how the hell can anyone d/l over 160gb in a month??

im on 188.3gb this month :( not including uploads which are about 20gb.
    i know ntl calculate both together so im over 200 now.
    inforfun wrote: »

They seem to change their T&C also when it suits them. I started with 40gb of DL data to spend and then they changed it to DL&UL combined. 40gb on a 6mb line is a joke.

what ever you signed in your terms and conditions is what your held to. if they change their t&c they need to inform you of the said changes. if they change it on their website, then i dont see how they expect you to go running off to read it every time to see if there's something new.

my understanding of it is, the piece of paper i signed when i got it installed is the only terms and conditions im held to. they havnt called me or wrote to me informing me of anything thats new or different.
    NIBBS wrote: »
    surely it's the responsibility of anyone that orders a Service (whatever that service may be) to know what the rules and limits are for that service, it's not like they are difficult to find, I have never had any sympathy for people who exceed set download caps and get charged for it, if you think it's fine to download 160GB of crap in a month you should also assume it's fair enough for exceeding your limit that you didn't bother finding out - or more probably just ignored.

what about someone who doesnt have a clue about using a computer or the internet and just got it installed to e-mail and for their kids to use?

do those parents have to fork over the extra money because they "didnt bother finding out?"
    80% of their customer's wouldnt have a clue what DU meter is or any other program that does the same.

also, how can they monitor traffic if its from an xbox? or a ps3?

du meter will only monitor traffic from the computer it is installed on. nothing else.

if NTL wont provide a method to monitor all traffic on the line, then its their fault. not the customer's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Du meter has always managed to monitor what i download on a specific pc/laptop. And my linksys router with ddwrt firmware can manage the rest. And imagine my pain, im on a 30gn cap, which i can hit in 2/3 days :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement