Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE suggests treaty is in trouble...

Options
  • 13-06-2008 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

RTE has suggested that based on early observations, the Lisbon Treaty may be in trouble with working class areas apparently voting 2 to 1 against the treaty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

radio tv what ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Listening to Pat Kennys programme and working class/inner city is deffo no by 70/30. The suburbs and rural vote will balance that.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, mostly 'No' dominating so far with no 'Yes' boxes ahead, closest being 50/50. Still early days yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Pal wrote: »
    radio tv what ?

Source: www.rte.ie

It may be that the swing in Donegal could be based on a protest vote by the fishermen.

Limerick is a mixed bag but even the "rural" boxes are 50/50 so if urban Ireland is voting no then the referendum is lost.

Mike

• Advertisement

I have so say that despite all my firebranding on here lately, I would not blame the yes side for asking for another referendum based on a no decision coming from a low election turnout. It seems the turnout for this election was in the region of 45%, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement of anything, especially if the pollling is close. Having said that, I suppose if people want to sit at home and not bother voting there is not much that can be done about it, another election might not be any different in that respect. You can't blame the weather for a low turnout yesterday.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Source: www.rte.ie

It may be that the swing in Donegal could be based on a protest vote by the fishermen.

thanks

Counting is under way in the Lisbon Referendum, and very early indications are that the treaty may be in some difficulty. Firmer indications are due late this morning.

Ballot boxes are being opened around the country, and while it is far too early to be definitive, the Yes side are not too happy with the early indications.

Cork is tight as ducks arse but the faces of the various establishment figuers is described as glum I guess they are looking at the suburban boxes and not seeing what they need, Kerry says no apparently.

edit Ballincollig says no (suburban). Fermoy says no on the basis of one box, Rathgormack (rural/commuter Cork City) says no

Waterford is very tight maybe edging no.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I have so say that despite all my firebranding on here lately, I would not blame the yes side for asking for another referendum based on a no decision coming from a low election turnout. It seems the turnout for this election was in the region of 45%, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement of anything, especially if the pollling is close. Having said that, I suppose if people want to sit at home and not bother voting there is not much that can be done about it, another election might not be any different in that respect. You can't blame the weather for a low turnout yesterday.

And would you accept the no side making the same request if it were a yes vote? :rolleyes:

lots of republican heads in Kerry. wouldn't be the norm.

too early I say.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    And would you accept the no side making the same request if it were a yes vote? :rolleyes:

does SF in ShooterSF stand for you know who ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

I would not blame the yes side for asking for another referendum based on a no decision coming from a low election turnout.

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Looks like Lisbon is lost....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

getting a bad feeling that the no vote has it. fools....

Call_me_al wrote: »

I see you're a good believer in the democratic process in this country......only if they agree with you of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

If people have so little opinion on it that they arn't arsed to come out and vote then their opinion doesn't really matter anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Pal wrote: »
    does SF in ShooterSF stand for you know who ?

No Pal but I can see why that's probably the concensus, It's actually just my harmless initials :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Jip wrote: »
    I see you're a good believer in the democratic process in this country......only if they agree with you of course.
    TBH if I was running the country there'd be severe penalties for people deliberatly peddling lies in the run up to a referendum or election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Democracy sucks.

TBH if I was running the country there'd be severe penalties for people deliberatly peddling lies in the run up to a referendum or election

And again you're making the assumption that everyone who voted 'No' done so because they're gullible and believed in the lies.

Having said that I heard one woman who was interviewed in Galway who decided to vote no in the polling booth, her reason being that she didn't want her sons conscripted into the army :confused:
    Maybe an IQ test before you get a vote is preferable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Call_me_al wrote: »

pity not everyone is as educated as you....:rolleyes:......fool

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well I would wholeheartedly support the idea of a quorum. That is, if only X amount of the electorate turns out, the vote is invalid.

I would have an issue with the Government putting the exact same thing up for a vote again. If, like Nice however, they made some fundamental changes to the constitutional amendments, then I see no issue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Cadet?

pity not everyone is as educated as you....:rolleyes:......fool

Yup.

It is a pity.

Connaught/Ulster early tallies are 60/40 against

Galway West 40 % boxes open 56/44 no
    Galway East 25% boxes open 50/50 no

Mayo 10% boxes 60/40 no

Sligo-Lietrim 30% boxes 66/44 no

Roscommen 50% boxes 56/44 no

Donegal NE 63/37 no

Mike.

The point I made has no relation to the argument that forms the basis for the election or where someone might stand in relation to the debate. All I'm saying is that there is a case to be made for saying in future that before a referendum can be considered to be full and final, that maybe a "quorum" should be insisted on so that a majority of the people have actually spoken. Other's would argue that a non-voter can speak as loud as a voter by not voting, I just think people should go to the bother of voting. This nonsense that a referendum can be swung a particular way if a load of people stay at home and don't bother voting seems a bit Irish to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

And again you're making the assumption that everyone who voted 'No' done so because they're gullible and believed in the lies.

Having said that I head one woman who was interviewed in Galway who decided to vote no in the polling booth, her reason being that she didn't want her sons conscripted into the army :confused:
    Maybe an IQ test before you get a vote is preferable.
    You wouldnt have to be gullible, there seemed to be lots of different groups all telling the same stories and there were posters everywhere. You wouldnt have to be a fool to think this treaty affected our Tax system or right to have a permanent Commissioner.

I hear Zimbabwe are looking for a leader if your interested in sticking in your CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭What Vision?

There was allot of false alligations made about the treaty, and listening to that woman who didn't want her sons conscripted?

Maybe if they made a reality show out of the referendum more people would have voted.

"Ireland's next Referendum"

or

"Project Lisbon"

I know people have the right to vote and the right not to vote but turn out's of less that 60% it should be run again no matter what the result.

I know many people who have voted to maintain the status quo on this issue, based on a "if in doubt, throw it out" approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if people only listened to me more there would be no need for a referendum.:D

sure the democratic process is a joke anyway, even if the no votes "wins" only 25% of the country's eligible voters would have made the decision, of which i would say 10% voted no because they didnt "understand" the treaty. and they my friend are the fools. this attitude "if you dont know vote no" is ridiculous and is the downfall of the system . if you (general public) havent bothered to get up off your lazy ass and find out about the treaty then you dont deserve a vote.

Advertisement