Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE suggests treaty is in trouble...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

mcaul wrote: »
    a 10 cent change in one day would be catastrophic for world financial markets and won't happen.

Spot on. It won't happen.
    last saw a move of that magnitue back in 1985 !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

mcaul wrote: »
    a 10 cent change in one day would be catastrophic for world financial markets and won't happen.

A significant change is regarded to be 2%. The Euro & US dollar has been range bound for the past 5 months at 1.54 - 1.58 with the odd mid-day dip or spike.

1.53 has marked a new downward trend and shows that financial traders have started to lose confidence in the euro. - The immediate result in this will be a rise in petrol & diesel prices as crude oil has not moved down with the dollar as it has on previous occasions.

A gradual 10% change over 1 month is what we need to take the pressure of Eurozone exporters. It would really help the economy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Anyone listening to RTE Radio 1 now? They're taking it as over. Sinn Fein, Patricia McKenna and Libertas asked what needs to be renegotiated when Brian Cowan goes back to the EU... barely a response past an embarrassed mumble, although Declan Ganly thinks we should get our commissioner back. :rolleyes: The reality of their "better deal" is becoming obvious to the public, I hope.

Whether or not the treaty is passed, I think we can expect to see SF, Libertas etc quietly stepping aside over the next while. They do not have to deal with the fallout, either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I dont know why the "yes" side here are predicting doom for ireland.
    The sun will fall and will rise tomorrow.
    Summer will come and go and the leaves will fall.

Europe will still be there and we will be part of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Declan Ganly thinks we should get our commissioner back. :rolleyes:

How does he think we could get that negotiated and ratified before Nice kicks in for the 2009 commission?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

To everyone who's saying that not everyone who voted no had weird reasons for it:

10 people I know voted no.
    4 because they just didn't understand it (Neither did I at first but I went and read about it)
    2 because they want foreign people out of Ireland and "they'll be telling us what to eat for breakfast" (My grandparents, honestly :o)
    My 3 aunts are voting no so that my brother won't be conscripted into the EU Army.
    Another thinks they'll change our tax and we won't be allowed to make our own laws any more.

I kid you not, sadly.

So I certainly know nobody who has any actual reason to vote no aside maybe from not knowing what the treaty is about. Wild theories about abortion and euthanasia and conscription should have been properly countered at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

We will but we will be on the fringes. Fantastic place for an island of four or five million people to be, out of population of 450 million.

We've stuck our fingers up to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Tally results at this stage would seem to indicate a No vote, but its wise to wait until the full tallies are in.

Its gonna be close in the end it would seem, with less than 10% of a gap. So either way, not a resounding result for either side, which is what the polls pre the vote predicted.

5 constituencies are Yes in Dublin, 11 around the country, many of course are No in Galway, Cork, etc. There seems to be an east-west divide. But most constiuencies are close, such as 47% Yes, 53% No.

We'll know more over the next few hours.

If it is a No, it will be interesting to see representative democracy at work, where 96% of our TD's will as a result of a No vote have to represent and articulate that side. (ie: dont bet on it).

Redspider

It is a NO. The Yes side are all but conceeding on the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Biro wrote: »
    Not much choice really.... Vote according to posters of monkeys, or vote according to posters of smiling liars.

Or vote according to information that you researched yourself all the while ignoring the monkey and liars alike. Is that really too much to ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

To everyone who's saying that not everyone who voted no had weird reasons for it:

4 because they just didn't understand it (Neither did I at first but I went and read about it)
    2 because they want foreign people out of Ireland and "they'll be telling us what to eat for breakfast" (My grandparents, honestly :o)
    My 3 aunts are voting no so that my brother won't be conscripted into the EU Army.
    Another thinks they'll change our tax and we won't be allowed to make our own laws any more.

I kid you not, sadly.

So I certainly know nobody who has any actual reason to vote no aside maybe from not knowing what the treaty is about. Wild theories about abortion and euthanasia and conscription should have been properly countered at the start.

I know just as many people who voted yes for just as stupid reasons

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

God you really are a bitter little person.
    gurramok wrote: »
    Good grief, you haven't a clue.
    Did I stutter?

I guess there won't be a United State of Europe after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

conceited wrote: »
    People aren't as stupid as you believe them to be.
    It seems the whole country voted no so that speaks volumes.

The majority of the electorate didn't vote at all so that opinion/point is wholly incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭uptherebels

draffodx wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Such as...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I know many people who voted yes because they wanted to do the opposite to SF.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

redspider wrote: »
    If it is a No, it will be interesting to see representative democracy at work, where 96% of our TD's will as a result of a No vote have to represent and articulate that side. (ie: dont bet on it).
    I don't know whether you misunderstand what we voted on, or are wilfully misrepresenting it.

The "no" vote means the Dáil can't legally ratify the treaty. It doesn't mean anything else. It certainly doesn't give anyone a mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pal wrote: »
    Whether that's a stupid reason or not, is debateable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I kid you not, sadly.

Well 10 people is a good representation. Now if only 10 people vote yes because the govenment said so, they "feel" it's good for europe, europe was good to us before so were forever in their debt (a tactic drug dealers and loan sharks use :eek: ) oh and the good old the rest of europe will be angry even though we like everyone of them under the rules have just as equal a right to reject it. Hmm could be a tight race with the ignorance balanced out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

We must vote yes otherwise we will be thrown out of Europe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭uptherebels

molloyjh wrote: »
    The majority of the electorate didn't vote at all so that opinion/point is wholly incorrect.

the majority of the electorate chose not to vote.

Certain yes voters voted because, SF was calling for a no, they thought the EU done well for Ireland but had no clue what was in the treaty so were prepared to write a blank cheque or voted yes because their party voted yes. Certainly no better than alot of peoples reasons for voting no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Pal wrote: »

That's not a stupid reason if SF's policies have been uniformly wrong for as long as you've been alive, and, oh look, they have. It's common sense.

Or maybe they just weren't bothered voting about an unispiring and relatively mundane piece of legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fransgone

I spent considerable time considering my vote in the last number of
    weeks and in light of who was representing the 'NO' side, I searched
    hard for reasons to vote Yes. I felt both sides were certainly guilty
    of scare-mongering.

While I agree that the EU needs some reform, the
    main reason why I voted No was ultimately the enormous amount of text
    in the treaty relating to security policy and 'common defence'.
    Although Ireland retains a veto against these matters, it appears that
    this treaty aims to push the EU towards becoming a superpower rather
    than an economic union between member states.

This is hardly related to the reform of EU governing bodies?

Not an ignorant 'NO' voter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Were they as stupid as voting no to avoid their children getting conscripted into the army?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Newstalk: No to Lisbon looks certain 11:43:36
    It looks like Ireland's about to give the Lisbon Treaty an emphatic rejection as counting continues of the referendum vote.

Just 2 and a half hours after the boxes were opened, tallies suggest the YES campaign has lost.

It now looks like 39 of the country's 43 constituencies will reject the Lisbon Treaty.

And The only places to say YES will be An Taoiseach Brian Cowen's home turf of Laois/Offaly, and Dublin South, Dublin South East and Dun Laoghaire.

In some working class areas the NO's have won out by more than 8 to 1, and where middle class areas have accepted it, the margin is tiny.

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    That's not a stupid reason if SF's policies have been uniformly wrong for as long as you've been alive, and, oh look, they have. It's common sense.

And so voting no because FF are corrupt is logical?

Advertisement