Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE suggests treaty is in trouble...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

A terrible day for Ireland unfolding.

A terrorist organisation and an American Libertas Organisation (which obviously care oh so much for us Irish) look like defeating all the parties we trust and have voted for all our lives.

It looks a resounding No at this stage.

ha ha. :pac: this has to be the funniest post of the year...Parties we trust in?
    I used to vote FF and look where that's got us..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Galway West
    Boxes: 100%
    Prediction Yes 46%/ No 64%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

+1 on the above but better the devil you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

cornbb wrote: »
    Such as...?

Europe has been good to us so I'm voting yes so they wont hate us

I hate SF so i'm voting yes

I dont have a clue what its about but I'm voting yes because my party leader says to vote yes

Everyone else in europe has ratified it so we should

If its no then theres no plan b so were screwed so I'm voting yes

a few of the things I've heard my auntie even voted yes just to annoy her husband

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

ha ha. :pac: this has to be the funniest post of the year...Parties we trust in?

+1 a million times over!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

To everyone who's saying that not everyone who voted no had weird reasons for it:

10 people I know voted no.
    4 because they just didn't understand it (Neither did I at first but I went and read about it)
    2 because they want foreign people out of Ireland and "they'll be telling us what to eat for breakfast" (My grandparents, honestly :o)
    My 3 aunts are voting no so that my brother won't be conscripted into the EU Army.
    Another thinks they'll change our tax and we won't be allowed to make our own laws any more.

I kid you not, sadly.

So I certainly know nobody who has any actual reason to vote no aside maybe from not knowing what the treaty is about. Wild theories about abortion and euthanasia and conscription should have been properly countered at the start.

when talking to my mum yesterday she kept going on about me and my siblings being conscripted and how terrible it would be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

BMH wrote: »
    Galway West
    Boxes: 100%
    Prediction Yes 46%/ No 64%

100% in but 110% counted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

To be honest I wasn't deadset on a yes or no and it took me a good while to decide. All the utterly mad rumours from the no side really put me off.

I don't mind people who voted no for valid reasons, good stuff. But voting no to stop conscription, foreign people is just as ridiculous as voting yes for whatever silly reasons. I was just pointing out that everyone I know who voted no did so for weird reasons.
    I wasn't saying everyone had, just those people seem to be in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nice limited it to 27

The Lisbon treaty would bring it to 18, so it would be rotated every five years.

If it was 18 from Nice we wouldn't have the issue with the comissioner in the vote.

In accordance with Nice it will be brought down to 18 next year. If Lisbon were passed it would be brought down to 18 in 2014. This is yet another one of the many issues blatantly mis-represented by many in the No campaign. And, as you have proven, people have bought what they've been saying. Exactly how many we don't know, but that doesn't matter. I like the suggestion that there should be some review of the material provided to people to ensure that there are no outright lies or misrepresentation etc and that any opinions are clearly labelled as such.

The Yes campaign was a joke, very badly run and poorly thought out, in the end resorting to ridiculous threat tactics. However the No campaign resorted to lies and distortion for the crux of its arguments, the whole time scaremongering. Neither were good enough to form an educated opinion and many voters were too lazy to do the reading required to make a educated decision. This is the biggest thing to come out of this referendum IMO and needs to be tackled. Exactly how I don't know. I am less worried about the overall result today than I am about the state of democracy in this country.

draffodx wrote: »
    Europe has been good to us so I'm voting yes so they wont hate us

I hate SF so i'm voting yes

I dont have a clue what its about but I'm voting yes because my party leader says to vote yes

Baaaaaaa Baaaaaaaaaa
    Everyone else in europe has ratified it so we should

The parliaments ratified it, the people weren't asked. The French and Dutch rejected it as Nice and were ignored with Lisbon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Go away and fu*k off. I suppose you'll be the person to decide who is intelligent enough to vote??

Those who voted No are just as intelligent as those who voted Yes

I really think that intelligence is not the right word being thrown around in here.

Being informed though is.

the argument that a percentage of the voters have misled with false information is true.

With such a low turnout it becomes even more of an issue.

There are people like johnnyq who have genuine reasons to vote no and I fully accept that.

But its will be very easy to argue and likely in the end prove that very large number of no voters were swayed by misinformation.

So it is that in the long history of european treaties and referndums that once again the curse of the government strikes again.

You'd think they would have learned from Nice or the constitution that clear easy information early and easily accessible would have been the best policy.

Christ we have great bunch of muppets in government.

sink wrote: »
    100% in but 110% counted?
    I'm hoping the No figure was the typo rather than the Yes one =/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Rte 1 now - Mary Lou talks in circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I was just pointing out that everyone I know who voted no did so for weird reasons.

Of course that might just say more about the people you know than it does about the average 'no' voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

From Mike65's previous post, Cowen seems to be bringing in the vote in Offaly.
    Its going to be tight though. Smaller counties may be less in favour but the overall picture wont be clear for a while yet.

Whatever way Ireland votes at least we can be proud that we had the oppertunity to have our voices heard.

And at the same time ashamed that most of us didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

No- 1/20
    Yes - 13/1

www.betfair.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

God be with the days of mass unemployment and emigration, 15% interest rates, the Catholic Church dictating policy on divorce and contraception, thousands dying in a sectarian war in the North, ah yes, we didn't know how good we had it back then.

Not like today, when I can hardly find a space to park my gas-guzzling SUV, and the women who clean my house and the gardeners don't even speak English without an accent! Gone to the dogs, I tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Grrr Radio 1's streaming feed from the RTE website seems to be down, anyone got a link that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

rockbeer wrote: »
    Of course that might just say more about the people you know than it does about the average 'no' voter.

That's just people I know personally. Common theme: they're old and believe anything.

Talking to friends they all seem to know people voting to stop conscription etc.
    There has been more misinformation and people believing it than most people think, in my opinion.
    But thanks for implying that everyone I know is a dope rather than representative of paranoid old people. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Anyone listening to Pat Kenny on RTE1? His bias towards the Yes side is shocking for a supposed neutral position of presenter.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Zube wrote: »
    God be with the days of mass unemployment and emigration, 15% interest rates, the Catholic Church dictating policy on divorce and contraception, thousands dying in a sectarian war in the North, ah yes, we didn't know how good we had it back then.

Not like today, when I can hardly find a space to park my gas-guzzling SUV, and the women who clean my house and the gardeners don't even speak English without an accent! Gone to the dogs, I tell you!

Don't worry..those days could be back soon..:D

I honestly think this is a fair enough reason to vote yes. You vote for a party because you like its manifesto, its policies, and to a certain extent, its strong personalities that get things done for you. If you see the party as those that represent you the best, it's clear you trust them with things you don't have time to understand, like finance bills. The Lisbon Treaty is no more important than the legislation in the Dáil.

You could use the same reasons to vote against the treaty, but I'd be surprised if in the next GE 55% of the population voted for Sinn Féin, Libertas, Cóir and the Communist Party. Assuming they stick around after our commissioner disappears in 2009, of course.

Yes - 18/1
    No - 1/50

betfair.com

Anyone listening to Pat Kenny on RTE1? His bias towards the Yes side is shocking for a supposed neutral position of presenter.:mad:

The voting is over, does it really matter now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

j2dab wrote: »
    Here we go folks.............Get ready for the recession!!

It's already here. You can't blame yesterdays vote on an economy that's been going down the tubes for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭monroe

Kenny's a neutral presenter..........news to me:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

monroe wrote: »

And so I thought. He is disgusted that the No's are winning, arguing with any No side panellist and throwing in snide remarks. His attitude to Patricia McKenna is shocking and he should be censored for his performance

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

he should be censored for his performance
    Too time consuming to censor live radio :p

monroe wrote: »

Planks of wood are rarely free-standing, they usually lean on something.

• Advertisement

Ha unbelievable

Yes - 27/1
    No - 1/100

www.betfair.com

Advertisement