Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your Silage season going?

• 13-06-2008 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

How are you finding this silage season? It's far ahead of last year for us anyway. We have about 150 bales made out of an approximate 600 that we will have in total. Meadows aren't over heavy, but the quality of the silage is excellent. Wrapped some bales for a neighbour who complained of bale count being down 25% from last year, and they were cut the same time. Think he will put it down to a combination of less fertilizer used, and the fact that he had his grass better wilted this year.

We have no such problems, we got slurry out on all of our meadows in April - a combination of pig and cattle slurry. We just gave a light sprinkle of Urea, approx 50kg per acre on top of the slurry and we have better grass than ever. I really think that farmers are going to have to learn to use their slurry in spring for grass growth. Most people around us spread in late August and early September. I don't think this is any good for the ground as all the nutrients are leeched away over the winter and what grass does grow is not eaten and it ends up as a white sole which has to be topped before meadows are taken up in spring.

Anyway, power to the work!!

Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

reilig wrote: »
    How are you finding this silage season? It's far ahead of last year for us anyway. We have about 150 bales made out of an approximate 600 that we will have in total. Meadows aren't over heavy, but the quality of the silage is excellent. Wrapped some bales for a neighbour who complained of bale count being down 25% from last year, and they were cut the same time. Think he will put it down to a combination of less fertilizer used, and the fact that he had his grass better wilted this year.

We have no such problems, we got slurry out on all of our meadows in April - a combination of pig and cattle slurry. We just gave a light sprinkle of Urea, approx 50kg per acre on top of the slurry and we have better grass than ever. I really think that farmers are going to have to learn to use their slurry in spring for grass growth. Most people around us spread in late August and early September. I don't think this is any good for the ground as all the nutrients are leeched away over the winter and what grass does grow is not eaten and it ends up as a white sole which has to be topped before meadows are taken up in spring.

Anyway, power to the work!!

Dan

i put out slurry on almost all the silage ground and spread 3 bags of cut sward per acre afterwards , i still ended up with a very light cut
    cuts are very light this year all over the shop

Advertisement