Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hang on landing?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I heard this a few times on Galway tower, just wondering if anybody here knew what it was, I asked in other places but they didn't know, maybe its just a Galway thing! I googled it too and just got a bunch of hang glider stuff. Basically, it was requested on finals for 26 by a robinson 22. He took off shortly after too I believe. Did I hear it wrong or is this a procedure, and if yes what is it? I don't think I heard it wrong because the ATCO approved it!

Thanks,

Darragh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

i think what you heard was a 'Bang on landing', its a common thing with helicopter pilots. Similar to a touch and go in a fixed wing aircraft, the helicopter hits the ground, or 'Bangs on landing' and continues the circuit detail. Ya i.ve often heard it too, You probably heard 'request bang on landing runway 26' 'bang on landing approved' its a dangerous technique only performed by skilled pilots.
    Hope that helps. :):)

Only messing i have no idea what it is and have never heard of it before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Never heard of it in Galway or elsewhere. Either you misheard the phrase or it's some local idea.

Possibily it's related to Executive Helis and the their training? Hangar landing perhaps? As in landing beside their hangar? Perhaps after they finish their detail out on the field they ask to land by the hangar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

cp251 wrote: »
    Never heard of it in Galway or elsewhere. Either you misheard the phrase or it's some local idea.

Possibily it's related to Executive Helis and the their training? Hangar landing perhaps? As in landing beside their hangar? Perhaps after they finish their detail out on the field they ask to land by the hangar?

Thanks, perhaps it is, Ill ask atc next time I'm up with them! Never heard it before other than once or twice on Galway.

But if I misheard it, what is it? and also, the atc usually givs them taxi instructions with landing clearance, but still a hangar landing seems to be the best theory I've gotten so far on it between the 2 forums, I'll enlighten you all when i find out:)

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Nothing to do with them doing their Autorotations? Hence the "hang/bang"?

Advertisement