Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is NCT going to fail if 3rd brake light in car doesnt work?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

Is anyone know NCT going to fail if the 3rd brake light is not working or few light s of that is burned?

Also do you know NCT going to fail if passenger washer jet doesnt work but driver's work properly?

BTW, Car is peugeot 206 (2002).

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

All outside lights should work, if not NCT will probably fail.

www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

julius128 wrote: »
    anyone know NCT going to fail if the 3rd brake light is not working or few light s of that is burned?

No, only two are required by law. We had someone posting here who said they passed with one regular brake light out, because they still had two.

Edit: may depend on the tester, though. The list in the manual is clearly talking about the two regular stoplamps, since the 3rd lamp is never of the same dimension as the others:

With the ignition and rear lights switched on apply the service brake and check the stop lights for visibility, colour, intensity and security.
    NOTE
    Additional stop lamps (other than those fitted by the vehicle manufactures) are not part of the test.
    Stop Lamps (1) Missing or not clearly visible.
    (2) Not working.
    (3) Not brighter than tail lights.
    (4) Not red in colour.
    (5) Not of same dimensions and intensity.
    (6) Insecurely mounted.
    (7) Lens missing or broken.
    (8) Contains water / moisture.
    ITEM REASONS FOR FAILURE
    National

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Zube wrote: »
    No, only two are required by law. We had someone posting here who said they passed with one regular brake light out, because they still had two.

Edit: may depend on the tester, though. The list in the manual is clearly talking about the two regular stoplamps, since the 3rd lamp is never of the same dimension as the others:

With the ignition and rear lights switched on apply the service brake and check the stop lights for visibility, colour, intensity and security.
    NOTE
    Additional stop lamps (other than those fitted by the vehicle manufactures) are not part of the test.
    Stop Lamps (1) Missing or not clearly visible.
    (2) Not working.
    (3) Not brighter than tail lights.
    (4) Not red in colour.
    (6) Insecurely mounted.
    (7) Lens missing or broken.
    (8) Contains water / moisture.
    ITEM REASONS FOR FAILURE
    National

Same thing happened to me, the third brakelight at the rear window failed on me two days before my nct. I failed on it alone because the tester said that even though the third was not legally required, if it was installed, then it must be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Zube wrote: »

In fact, I think that you could only have two brakelights a while ago in Ireland - any third one had to be disconnected. Sorry for going OT.

If it's fitted by the vehicle manufactures it must work, that's how I read the manual. Makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

biko wrote: »
    If it's fitted by the vehicle manufactures it must work, that's how I read the manual. Makes sense.

The manual is not clear. This:

supports your reading. But this:

makes it obvious that the listed reasons for failure were written with 2 standard stop lamps in mind.

OK, I did a search for a previous post I remember saying that 2 out of 3 lights was OK, and I find that it doesn't refer to the NCT, but to a driving test. So, it seems driving testers will allow a test in a car with only 2 out of 3 stop lamps, but NCTers will not pass it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56002010

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is no statutory requirement to have reversing lights or fog lights therefore one can't be penalised if they don't work. They may check them to see if they are alligned properly so they don't cause irritation to other drivers.

There is no statutory requirement to have reversing lights
    Interesting, the manual only mentions rear lamps. I assumed this include reverse lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

All outside lights should work, if not NCT will probably fail.

www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf
    +1

Advertisement