Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon I is over, roll on Lisbon II...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

djpbarry wrote: »
    People have come out with this argument over and over and over again without (as yet) providing any evidence whatsoever that the majority of people in Britain, France or the Netherlands (or any other EU state for that matter) actually want to vote on the Lisbon Treaty. Can you please either provide some evidence to back up this claim, or else ditch it and just accept that most EU citizens are happy enough for their parliaments to ratify the treaty for them.

Have a wee a look through the 160 odd comments here, some rubbish as usual but a lot of people in the UK giving a clear indication of their thoughts on the matter !

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91211-1318932,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DishonestPikey

SkepticOne wrote: »
    No, in a democracy there is no right or wrong reasons, there is only the will of the people.

Wrong. The will of 1 million does not get to decide the will of 500 million. that is not a democracy. and I might add this sort of "democracy" would have been addressed had the treaty passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

The yes campaign were continually referring to the fact that we were a 'central player' and 'highly regarded coutry' amongst the rest of europe. I think the fact they plan to continue ratification says alot about how they feel about Ireland and its citizens opinions. Very worrying.

If we are that central, why isnt it stopping the whole process right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

People have come out with this argument over and over and over again without (as yet) providing any evidence whatsoever that the majority of people in Britain, France or the Netherlands (or any other EU state for that matter) actually want to vote on the Lisbon Treaty. Can you please either provide some evidence to back up this claim, or else ditch it and just accept that most EU citizens are happy enough for their parliaments to ratify the treaty for them.
    Might not be a majority but it's a start Click

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I am not sure that all countries will now ratify the treaty. I think the UK in particualr will have a hard job pushing it through. I believe 15 countries have yet to ratify the treaty in their parliaments and many of them were waiting to see how the irish voted first.
    There may yet be referendums in other countries.....

If everyone ratifies this there will be some concessions to the irish and we should have Lisbon 2 in about a years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Rb wrote: »
    Might not be a majority but it's a start Click

It was about a hundred people all across Europe. The pictures are here, on the organisers' site.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DishonestPikey

bobmeaney wrote: »
    The yes campaign were continually referring to the fact that we were a 'central player' and 'highly regarded coutry' amongst the rest of europe. I think the fact they plan to continue ratification says alot about how they feel about Ireland and its citizens opinions. Very worrying.

Its a bit late now to be getting worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

bobmeaney wrote: »

Because the No vote just came through today! Hardly expect everything to collaps straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You want me to provide you evidence that the Dutch and French electorate - who rejected the document which we just rejected - were not happy with being denied a vote?

Are you for real man? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

fitze69 wrote: »
    Because the No vote just came through today! Hardly expect everything to collaps straight away!

Figure of speach... just concerned with the sentiment among the rest that "regardless we will carry on".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Their is NO LISBON 2 ... that was it! :mad: That was Irelands chance to secure a stable reliable future

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

bobmeaney wrote:

One can be central to Europe because you're a vital part of the power-balance of Europe - and one can be central to Europe because you've cleverly insinuated yourself into the corridors of power by being great guys, always on-side, etc, despite being a complete non-entity.

We are about to find out which one we are, and I'm afraid it's going to be a bit of a shock for some people.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Barosso has just been on the box. He basically said that the remaining countries should continue to ratify the treaty and Brian it is over to you. We wait to hear what you do next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

This is not true and has been debunked over and over again.
    quote]

It's in the treaty - Read it. It was debated on Prime time so if you still think it's not true make sure to tell RTE's researchers and the people who debated it live on national television.

In any case I don't see what all the yes voters are in such a panic over, you'll get a second chance unlike if a no vote had been carried.

Read the comments page on Sky News, people from all over Europe thanking us for the No vote, lets have a referedum in every country and we'll see how united this so called union is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Barosso has just been on the box. He basically said that the remaining countries should continue to ratify the treaty and Brian it is over to you. We wait to hear what you do next?
    Yes although I expect Cowan's explanation as to why the people are wrong will be done behind closed doors.

thecaptain wrote: »
    Agreed. Although they will avoid a vote the next time. This pack of scum will not let this stop them. Time for the people to make further stands.

They can't avoid a vote the next time! It's in our constitution that any changes need to be ratified by vote by the people of Ireland ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Andystoran

Im sick as a small hospital here:(

I cant believe its a no.

I wonder what the first wrap on the knuckles will be?:rolleyes:

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Their is NO LISBON 2 ... that was it! :mad: That was Irelands chance to secure a stable reliable future

Not according to what Manuel barroso just said.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Not according to what Manuel barroso just said.

have a link ? Their won't be another chance for the people of Ireland to vote in a Lisbon Treaty again

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

These are questions rather than comments.

1) Just because other countries ratify the treaty, surely this does not mean that it comes into effect?

2) How can it come into effect, for example, with the commissioners, will we keep a commissioner all of the time and the other 26 countries only have one for 10 in 15 years?

Paddyo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

there's a very good reason treaties like this don't get to the general public -they are complicated legal documents by necessity and hence it is sometimes better that elected representatives (you see democracy) negotiate and agree on the general publics behalf. A major complaint of no voters that it was too complicated and didn't know what was in it so rather than not vote on something they didn't understand they voted No :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

We have until January 1st to ratify. I'm thinking the government will launch an enormous fundraising campaign, take a few months to prepare a more refined, expensive campaign (more akin to their general election efforts) and come back. It'll be the autumn, I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

Paddyo wrote: »

1) Just because other countries ratify the treaty, surely this does not mean that it comes into effect?

Why not. 26/27 ratify, Ireland will be the only one on a single speed in a two speed Europe. That's what "they" are saying - to be honest I need to do more reading to find out what that means.
    2) How can it come into effect, for example, with the commissioners, will we keep a commissioner all of the time and the other 26 countries only have one for 10 in 15 years?

Nope. Nice is active anyway so we could lose "our" commissioner tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

have a link ? Their won't be another chance for the people of Ireland to vote in a Lisbon Treaty again

From the RTE News site:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0613/eulisbonreax.html

Interesting that Eamon Gilmore has come out and said that he wouldn't support a rerun of the referendum.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/212248,extra-lisbon-treaty-still-alive-barroso-says.html

I am taking the last sentence of "The commission head said he had invited the Irish government to explain the motives behind the no vote" as meaning he will later try to fix whatever our objections were.

the fact is that Lisbon is a dead duck unless all 27 members approve it, so if he wants the reamining countries to ratify it then he must plan to come back to Ireland later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

woodseb wrote: »
    A major complaint of no voters that it was too complicated and didn't know what was in it so rather than not vote on something they didn't understand they voted No :confused:

Boards has seen major arguments on this all day but I'd have rather they'd just stayed at home. Yes and No side both.

O'Morris wrote: »
    From the RTE News site:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0613/eulisbonreax.html

Interesting that Eamon Gilmore has come out and said that he wouldn't support a rerun of the referendum.

Thanks, your link is better than Mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Paddyo wrote: »

Officially it's not supposed to, Barrosso acknowledged this on Sky News a few minutes ago. If it does, well it'll say a huge amount about the EU, what they really think of Ireland and their stance on democracy.

They're shocked that a country voted no, despite two countries voting no to a very similar document. They literally do not know what to do now, how could such an institution as the EU have NO contingency plan for this? How could they stand there baffled as to what to do if one country voted no?

paddyo wrote:

Paddyo

Nah we'll lose him soon enough, as agreed in the Nice Treaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I favour democracy and I don't like seeing national parliaments ignoring the rights of people.

Let's see referendums!

I've been wondering about this point for a while, where do you draw the line on what to have a referendum on? Why elect politicians if we want to make every slight decision on a referendum?

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    while, where do you draw the line on what to have a referendum on?

Constitutuional issues.

Advertisement