Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon looks defeated Yippee

Options
  • 13-06-2008 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Allthe other threads seem to be in mourning that Lisbon is defeated, so i want to start one that celebrates the fact it was. Already the yes side is blaming the no vote for the recession. Don’t know if they have been outside their door in the last couple of months but the recession is already here. Been here for months so cant blame that on the No side. If the government wanted the yes side to win the didn’t show it, sending out info that only a few could understand they shot themselves in the foot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

suimhneas wrote: »
    If the government wanted the yes side to win the didn’t show it, sending out info that only a few could understand they shot themselves in the foot.

Well, I'll agree that firstly, the Nos seems to have it and yeah, the government was ineffective. Nice posters of TDs faces with nothing to say. They spent time and effort in a pointless personality war with Libertas and Sinn Fein... Much as it pains me to say it, really really pains me in the case of Coir, the No campaign was well organised, well run and highly effective.

Before lunch, though, here's a way out thought. Britain will likely vote in a conservative government in the next year or so. The conservatives have expressed a wish to distance themselves from the EU. Is it possible that along with our considered disdain for the Lisbon treaty, Britain could separate from the EU and drag us out with them?? It's sounds completely far-fetched (so don't throw rocks at me!) but if it happened, we'd be sitting outside the EU trading block with Britain as our partner. Wouldn't that be great. SF would have kittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

It is completely far-fetched, you are correct. We have the Euro.

Also the current situation in a fellow small coutry, Iceland, where interest rates are 15.5% shows the value of being part of a strong EMU where our currency isn't susceptible to attacks from speculators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

carveone wrote: »
    Before lunch, though, here's a way out thought. Britain will likely vote in a conservative government in the next year or so. The conservatives have expressed a wish to distance themselves from the EU. Is it possible that along with our considered disdain for the Lisbon treaty, Britain could separate from the EU and drag us out with them?? It's sounds completely far-fetched (so don't throw rocks at me!) but if it happened, we'd be sitting outside the EU trading block with Britain as our partner. Wouldn't that be great. SF would have kittens.
    The Conservatives have more sense then to leave, especially since they seem to represent big business more than sicial conservatives now. The only party that's advocating leaving is BNP, and they, well, you know.

A no vote won't result in us leaving, but it will harm foreign investment if companies see that we're currently less inclined to become involved in EU initiatives. I guess the success of the mis-information campaign might hurt our perception as a knowledge-based economy:rolleyes:

e:But I think this debate isn't for this thread...

Advertisement