Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My mk4 golf engine missing any ideas why?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

So as it says my engine is missing its jumping the odd time when driving it, and doesn’t seem to have full power. So far iv change the fuel filter which helped it a good bit but its still a good enough miss in it.

I was thinking it might be the coil pack I think? Anyone else have any ideas to what it could be? Its a 1.4 16v engine. Is there a sensor that could be gone because since I have the car a few months now when the engine is cold for the first min or so of driving it would have feck all power and nearly dye if I put the pedal to the ground. Could it be a sensor gone? Or the coil pack, or any other idea guys???

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

The throttle body most likely needs to be cleaned out. There's has been a few threads covered before about the issue. I'd a similar problem with my old golf. May be worth doing a search for 'throttle body'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

As far as I know the coil pack issue is only for 1.8T engines.

I'd check the air filter to see what condition it's in, maybe have a look at the spark plugs to see if one of them is banjaxed. After that look at that oxygen sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Vain wrote: »
    So as it says my engine is missing its jumping the odd time when driving it, and doesn’t seem to have full power. So far iv change the fuel filter which helped it a good bit but its still a good enough miss in it.

I was thinking it might be the coil pack I think? Anyone else have any ideas to what it could be? Its a 1.4 16v engine. Is there a sensor that could be gone because since I have the car a few months now when the engine is cold for the first min or so of driving it would have feck all power and nearly dye if I put the pedal to the ground. Could it be a sensor gone? Or the coil pack, or any other idea guys???

Cheers,

Hi Op,

I had the EXACT same issue with my Mk 4 Golf 1.4 last October. Basically the diagnostic showed that there was a cylinder mis-firing. I got a new cylinder lead to replace the banged up one and a new coil pack. The lead cost about 25, coil pack about 145. (If I remember correctly, and both bought from a main dealers parts garage).
    I got an independant mechanic to look after it though and he charged me just 30.

I'd be amazed if this wasn't the same case for you as your lack of power (almost to the point of cutting out going uphill) sounds like a match to me.

Assuming this is your issue, you could maybe just buy the lead first and see if that clears it! At the time I had a lot of mileage in one week ahead of me so didn't take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

cheers guys il look into what ye said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Could be the Air flow meter (MAF), if the problem is mainly when the engine is cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Could also be the coolant temp sensor, see if you can find anyone with vag-com and they can do a scan to see if any fault codes show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

am i the only person who read the title and thought "who'd manage to steal a whole engine?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

preilly79 wrote: »
    am i the only person who read the title and thought "who'd manage to steal a whole engine?"
    Nope you're not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

ha i thought the same

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I was going post the old chestnut "The engine is in the front now!"

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement