Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should suped up/boyracers cars be banned?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Should suped up/boyracers cars be banned?

Should suped up/boyracers cars be banned? 98 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    21% 21 votes
    enforce existing legislation re noise and safety
    45% 45 votes
    create new legislation re noise and safety
    32% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

No, we have enough of our freedoms already limited. Banning would be silly.

**edit**: Who would we have to laugh at then? All these little cars with a volume control for an accelerator are a good laugh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No but it should be allowed to throw rocks at them.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Banned from what? From the roads? Modified car owners, not specifically. Boy racers. Definitely. Also people who talk on handheld phones, drive in the wrong lanes, the ones who can't use roundabouts, those who can't indicate. Fat arsed people who ding other peoples cars. All banning offences. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

MarkR wrote: »
    Banned from what? From the roads? Modified car owners, not specifically. Boy racers. Definitely. Also people who talk on handheld phones, drive in the wrong lanes, the ones who can't use roundabouts, those who can't indicate. Fat arsed people who ding other peoples cars. All banning offences. :pac:

That's what? 90% of the population? I'd love that, no more traffic jams :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

If it was banned do you think it would stop them. Just because drugs are illegal does it stop people using them no.. If there were more gardai on the road the penalty point system should get all the dangerous drivers off the road.

You cant say every one with alloys on there car should be banned its only a very few small boy racers that give us Modified car owners a bad name and its people like you hitting us all with the same stick. just because people drink doesn’t make us all alcoholic , you get me etc...

Rant over:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Mena wrote: »
    That's what? 90% of the population? I'd love that, no more traffic jams :pac::pac:

I'd be hoping for all other drivers bar me tbh. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

You might want to clarify what you mean and why you would want a ban on them, for example; power wise a BMW 6 series would have more BHP than a lot of so called suped up cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

hellboy99 wrote: »
    You might want to clarify what you mean and why you would want a ban on them, for example; power wise a BMW 6 series would have more BHP than a lot of so called suped up cars.

My Gran's Nissan Micra has more power than some of those "souped up" cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

While their idea of style (typically loud and vulgar) leaves alot to be desired, I'd have no problem with their cars if they could drive them properly.

Freedom of choice is still a civil right in this country, so no, don't ban them yet, although maybe you could get lack of taste added to the road traffic act as an offence, say 4 points and a fine equal to the stupid amount of money they spent ruining their cars.

(Edit) I don't mind tastefully modified cars, but some of those body kits they put on, make the cars look like they melted. personally I'm more into stealth and fast cars that don't shout it from the roof's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

NiSmO wrote: »

Or even a gt starlet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

NiSmO wrote: »

How about a 1.6 Micra versus a 1.3 Starlet with a bad bodykit, massive soundsystem draining the power system, weighty exhaust mods, and Glanza stickers? As I've seen a few of those around

caoibhin wrote: »
    With or without your gran behind the wheel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Added two more options to the poll ...a simple yes or no doesn't really do the subject justice.

There is absolutely no harm in stickin a few plastic bits and go-faster stripes to your car, if you so wish.

There is a problem though with overly loud exhausts, wheels that don't fit the car, stickers that inhibit the view throught the windscreen, etc

peasant wrote: »
    Added two more options to the poll ...a simple yes or no doesn't really do the subject justice.

There is absolutely no harm in stickin a few plastic bits and go-faster stripes to your car, if you so wish.

There is a problem though with overly loud exhausts, wheels that don't fit the car, stickers that inhibit the view throught the windscreen, etc

This mods shouldn’t be getting passed the nct so this hole thread is about the lack of enforcement of laws on the roads

Vain wrote: »
    This mods shouldn’t be getting passed the nct so this hole thread is about the lack of enforcement of laws on the roads
    You will find that a lot of modified cars go through the NCT with some of the mods off so you really can't blame the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

OP: how do you specifically legislate for the banning on a Souped up/boyracers car?

anything with a turbo, an induction kit, a spoiler, non-factory stereio/ stickers/ interior, anything over a certain BHP, anything thats Jap & white?
    or does it just have to go bbbbaaaaAAAARRRRRPPPP up the road?

perhaps you would like to give that discretion over to the guards so they can judge it on a car by car basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

MarkR wrote: »

Thank you :)

I am a modified car owner but i am 26 years of age and a mature driver that happens to love cars, its a passion. How dare someone tell me i can no longer drive my car.

Boy racers on the other hand are a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Speaks volumes for the OP's view on car modification, when suped (sic) up cars = boyracers. My car is modified. I changed the stereo to a model that accepts USB sticks. I've uprated brake pads and better tyres. Hardly makes me a menace to society, now does it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

im not into modded cars at all, in fact most make me laugh. So much effort to make a car look sporty, yet its stuck in dismal traffic on the m50!!

However the OP is really trying to stereotype all mod car drivers as a problem on the road.

Road traffic law enforcement should be enforced with all motorists in mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

no how is that fair, i could think of millions of other road users that should be banned if you look at proper stats it not modified car inthusists that causes crashes its lil boys/girls who cant drive or people who should not be aloud on the road.

I drive a modified car and i cant break the speed limit because i would wreck my car on irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd be in favor of a creation of noise limits for the NCT, it gets irritating listening to muppets going around at night with tuned up hairdryers. I've nothing against anyone supping up their car once it's not bothering anyone else and they adhere to the law.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I'd be in favor of a creation of noise limits for the NCT, it gets irritating listening to muppets going around at night with tuned up hairdryers. I've nothing against anyone supping up their car once it's not bothering anyone else and they adhere to the law.
    That won't work either, just change exhaust system for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I drive a modified car and i cant break the speed limit because i would wreck my car on irish roads.

The bits would fall off? :D

Having a modified car is no reason for banning someone.

Acting like a gob****e, however, should be grounds for dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

hellboy99 wrote: »
    That won't work either, just change exhaust system for the test.
    #

On that Note...

I mate of mine had a decat STI.

its a bolt on bolt off job literally takes 20 min to replace it with a CAT and before the NCT.

Passed no probs

and then he took it off later. and bolted on the DeCat pipe.

when I say it was loud with the DeCat its actually an understatement.
    you wouldn't be able to hear the people talking in the back seats if you were sitting in the front!!!!

Its V.illegal and I don't condone it and there are racing CATs out there that only reduce the performance ever so slighty compared to having a DeCat.

cost €€€€'s though
    and LBR/LGR's arent interested in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

Tipsy Mac wrote: »

while i agree with you about muppets and the like what about STI's ect?
    should they fail for a factory exhaust?
    It BeeMee wrote: »

Having a modified car is no reason for banning someone.

Acting like a gob****e, however, should be grounds for dismissal.

exactly, there is an intollerable amount of bad ignorant and reckless driving on our roads, you see it every day.

And its not just boy racers or modified drivers, its 50 y/o businesmen and women dangerously overtaking because they equate overtaking power in the Merc enginebay to overtaking skill behind the wheel,

farmers in their 91 nissan bluebirds, with balin twine holdin the boot closed, sauntering along at 30, oblivious to the 12 cars up their hole,

reps in their repmobiles not looking left as they exit petrol statiosn on busy main roads,

fresh auld ones in jeeps thrown half up on footpaths and accross 2 parking spaces,

lads in 106 vans tearing round backroads.

at the end of the day its the driver that dictates how good or bad the car is used, ban or punish the driver for their actions not the car they drive.

punishment shoud include mandatory driver education, id say re-education except there doesnt seem to be any there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭blackbox

caoibhin wrote: »

I'd ban your Gran!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

I dont think they should be banned but they should definiteley have a curfew, at night is when they come out and terrorize the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

It BeeMee wrote: »

no nothing would fall off its all on proparely, it would just get damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

blackbox wrote: »
    I'd ban your Gran!

:D

My gran drives group B. Group_B gran FTW:D

925_633.jpg?Nissan-Micra-Super-Turbo-1990-Modified-Cars

Silly thread over and over again. Ban dyslexics,priests,nuns and builders with bald spots on there ass,:rolleyes:

Advertisement