Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should suped up/boyracers cars be banned?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

What defines a " boy racer souped up car " exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Ridiculous notion to 'Ban' boy racers, it's merely an expression of youth for goodness sake, have seen so called 'boy racers' over the years & now see the sames guys, suit & tie in their BMW's & Lexus, alot go through this as they can not afford that car they want when starting out, ok you get a few muppets but Goodness there are many a muppet driving their RR/Pshe/Merc etc..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

JP Liz wrote: »

You were ranting about tractor drivers over in AH earlier this week.

Do you want anyone to use the road apart from you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

micmclo wrote: »
    You were ranting about tractor drivers over in AH earlier this week.

Do you want anyone to use the road apart from you?

and I like their style!!!
    Its common knowledge that everybody else on the road is a hazard

If you complain about boy racers you will inevitably get Modified car enthuasiests fighting back. One question though, whats the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Slig wrote: »
    If you complain about boy racers you will inevitably get Modified car enthuasiests fighting back. One question though, whats the difference?

if you start a thread like this you will inevitably get stupid replies.

car enthuasiests have respect for their cars and will generally have respect to other road users too, boy racers are the same as girl racers, old man racers, rep racers, old women racers, gran racers, white van man racers. ust a saying imo

no to the ban but yes to better enforcement of crappy and unsafe mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The worst of all cultures get noticed.

The memory of a modified car owner doing doughnuts illegally will stick in your mind more than the one who drove by quietly.

HOWEVER!

I live in an area that is plagued by modified car owners being a real menace. (there is a beach and a car park very near my house)

These are modified car owners, not boy racers, in very well kept Celica's, Suburu's, BMW's, Skyliners etc... acting like complete <SNIP> every weekend.

So my view of Modified car owners is somewhat tarnished when I see them to the following every week....

Doughnuts with their mates lying on the roof of the cars, Doughnuts, wheelspins, powerslides, reverse handbrake turns (or whatever Skarsky and Hutch did all the time), handbrake turns, doughnuts with passengers sitting out of the window waving like a retard, more doughnuts and more doughnuts, sometimes with some gimp standing at the nose of the car waving like another retard.

I never see any other road user but Modified car owners carry on like this.

lightening wrote: »

The memory of a modified car owner doing doughnuts illegally will stick in your mind more than the one who drove by quietly.

HOWEVER!

I live in an area that is plagued by modified car owners being a real menace. (there is a beach and a car park very near my house)

These are modified car owners, not boy racers, in very well kept Celica's, Suburu's, BMW's, Skyliners etc... acting like complete every weekend.

So my view of Modified car owners is somewhat tarnished when I see them to the following every week....

Doughnuts with their mates lying on the roof of the cars, Doughnuts, wheelspins, powerslides, reverse handbrake turns (or whatever Skarsky and Hutch did all the time), handbrake turns, doughnuts with passengers sitting out of the window waving like a retard, more doughnuts and more doughnuts, sometimes with some gimp standing at the nose of the car waving like another retard.

I never see any other road user but Modified car owners carry on like this.

some <SNIP> (mid 40's man) pulled straight out infront of me in a punto today on my bike, nearly killing me instantly. its drivers behaviour thats the problem, not just one group of people.

kceire wrote: »
    some (mid 40's man) pulled straight out infront of me in a punto today on my bike, nearly killing me instantly. its drivers behaviour thats the problem, not just one group of people.

An Isolated incident.

Does this happen three or four times a week to you with seven different cars where the driver is making a choice to do the actions, where its not an accident?

Probably not. I see modified car owners acting like what I described all the time, every week, sometimes three times a week, sometimes up to seven cars at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

kceire wrote:
    some (mid 40's man) pulled straight out infront of me in a punto today on my bike, nearly killing me instantly. its drivers behaviour thats the problem, not just one group of people.

Exactly, It's like saying should we ban all Arab looking people from Ireland because a few seem to be terrorists?
    lightening wrote:
    These are modified car owners, not boy racers, in very well kept Celica's, Suburu's, BMW's, Skyliners etc... acting like complete ... every weekend.

What is a boy racer? I reckon its an attitude and has nothing to do with the car. A boy racer could drive a stock standard Micra or Punto but still act like a ***hole, doing donuts on public roads, racing on DC's etc.

If the people around where you live act like this then it's THEM not the CAR. The car is a machine, it can't act, it's the drivers.

What is a modified car? One that has a loud exhaust? Bodykit? A car that is made (tried to be made!) look good?

Unfortunatlet people with the boy racer mentality are drawn to high performance vehicles aswell as ****boxes for want of a better word, they then try to make there ****box look more like a high performance one.

When they get the money they blow it on their cars and insurance, hence why they cruise all the time, if you spent years saving your money and thousands on insurance you'd want to make use of the car too!

Unfortunatley they find doing all the dangerous stuff you mentioned fun.

So should we ban boy racers, yes. Modified cars, no.

• Advertisement

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    What is a boy racer?

I don't really see where you are going with that Boomstick.

I am just telling you what I see. Powerful cars with modifications on them doing just what I described.

Call them boy racers, call them people who own modified cars... Its up to you. I see the regplates, I see them selling their cars online and they call themselves modified car owners.

How many of the joyriders menacing city streets are driving modified cars? generally they are stolen standard cars. Its the mentality that has to be banned. These scumbags arent gonna stop because its illegal. If excessively loud exhausts or sound systems start getting attention from the guards in the form of fines or penalty points it might encourage them to get a life.
    Same with guards visiting the carparks used for meets. Enforcement of the existing laws is the key, people still speed because they know that the chances of getting caught are extremely slim, same with drink driving, talking on mobiles etc.

An Isolated incident.

Does this happen three or four times a week to you with seven different cars where the driver is making a choice to do the actions, where its not an accident?

Probably not. I see modified car owners acting like what I described all the time, every week, sometimes three times a week, sometimes up to seven cars at a time.

YES it happens to me at least twice a day, once on the way to work and once on the way home. every single day people pull out in front of me, swap lanes with me there etc etc

so to answer your question, yes it does, withe more than seven didderent cars. its people driving behaviour that bothers me, not what kinda car they rae driving. its peoples driving ignorance and arogarance (sp) that bothers me. they have no time for other road users and would rather cut me up then be 4 secons later to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

lightening wrote:
    I don't really see where you are going with that Boomstick.

Look at the thread title. I asked it as a question, then gave what is, IMO, a boy racer. What is your definition? Is it a type of car that makes someone a boy racer? Or how said person acts in (any) car?

You said modified car owners, not boy racers distinctly in bold so I want to know what's the difference?

The loud exhausts is too much alright, no need for em, they just want their tiny 1/1.2 litres to sound more like a V6/V8

another crap boy racer thread....boring

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    You said modified car owners, not boy racers distinctly in bold so I want to know what's the difference?

I don't know. These people call themselves modified car owners. I don't think they would like to be regarded as boy racers.

Personally I would have another word for them.

kceire wrote: »
    another crap boy racer thread....boring

but you still felt the need to post 3 times:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

j2dab wrote: »
    I dont think they should be banned but they should definiteley have a curfew, at night is when they come out and terrorize the streets.

so you ban people from driving at night. isn't that restrictive on their rights? what about people in non modified cars that have teh stereo load do they also face said restrictions?

to knowledge most of these exhaust systems are E marked making them street legal. so until that law changes then there is not much that can be done.

i myself deive a modified car with a modified exhaust, but I make a point of taking it easy on teh gas when in housing estates and not reving teh arse out of teh car to raise teh noise leves, same goes with teh stereo.

teh problem as others have said is the driver and not the car. for every 1 w@nker doing doughnuts or a Jturns there are more that love their cars, modify them and look after them AND obey teh laws.

on and if you're wondering i voted to enforse existing laws re noise and safety so if they act teh <SNIP> ban the individual

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

JP Liz wrote: »

No but these threads should be banned in motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

it would not be possible to ban boy racers because they have wheels/exhaust. what about the multi millionaire that wants to put a 10 grand exhaust on his ferrari?

i agree that seeing these boy racers in their "modified" micras/civics/starlets is annoying but even without the exhaust/wheels they would still be flying around, revving the engine, etc.

the only way i can see an end to boy racers is if the govt ban anyone under the age of 30 from buying starlets/civics, etc. :pac:

• Advertisement

Just to clarify! I am sure for every one of these fella's doing what they do there are twenty mod car owners that are better drivers than me! Its just the ones you see doing stupid things stick out more and tarnish all the mod car owners!

Slig wrote: »
    but you still felt the need to post 3 times:D.

it started out ok, but turned into another boy racer thread. 4 times now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

It BeeMee wrote: »
    The bits would fall off? :D
    :D:D:D:D:D:D Probably!

Advertisement