Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renting a car in the US - Irish license?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm off to the US tomorrow, and have left it a bit late for sorting out the International driving license. What do you think my chances are of being able to rent a car using my Irish driving license while over there?

--
    Angry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its an "international driving permit" not a licence, its just an authorised translation. US hire firms rarely require it as your licence is in English as it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

I've hired many cars there using my regular irish license. I've never had anybody question my license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

FYI : You can walk into the AA shop in 56 Drury Street (Dublin 2) and they'll make you up an international license there and then.

You just need your Irish license, passport photos and possibly some proof of address ( bills )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

You won't need it. Irish licence is fine as long as it's a full licence, and you've held it for greater than 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

When i got the International permit and handed it in when i was getting the car the woman pushed it back saying it alright i don't need it we only need it if we cannot read your licence.

I have never got one since and NEVER been asked for one. You can live without as your licence is in English.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

FYI : You can walk into the AA shop in 56 Drury Street (Dublin 2) and they'll make you up an international license there and then.

You just need your Irish license, passport photos and possibly some proof of address ( bills )

Just make sure its a full license. They still get muppets going in on provisionals looking for international licenses! :rolleyes:

Advertisement