Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY bike repair

Options
  • 13-06-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭

I've been a cyclist for fairly long time and I can do most of the basics of bike repair but I'm at a loss when it comes to gears/cassettes? I have an old bike and I want to change the rear wheel on it because a lot of spokes are broken and it is buckled, I found another old rear wheel which is in good condition and I want to replace it with that. The problem is the current wheel has a 7 speed cassette and the wheel I want to put on it has a 6 speed cassette. Would it possible to take the cassette of one and put it on the other or is that just going to cause me problems? Also I vaguely remember reading somewhere before that you need a special tool to remove cassettes, is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Should be possible. You might need to mess around with the spacers to get the 7 speed onto the 6 speed cassette.

You need two tools for this - a cassette lock tool and a chain whip tool. The chain whip is pretty standard but the cassette tool will be specific to the cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Would it possible to take the cassette of one and put it on the other or is that just going to cause me problems?
    . Maybe it's possible, but it is also possibly not do-able. a 6 or 7 cassette is *probably* a threaded hub rather than a splined hub like is used now in 8/9/10/(11!) cassettes, although it's also possible that one is threaded the other is splined.
    Another issue is that the 6 speed wheel will have less dishing than the 7 speed, so there might not be the room to put the 7 speed block on the 6 speed wheel and still have it fit inside the frame. These are all hypotethical issues that may or not actually cause problems depending on the exact combination of factors.
    Also I vaguely remember reading somewhere before that you need a special tool to remove cassettes, is this true?
    Yes, you need 2 - a chain whip and a cassette extraction tool, which is a splined nut which goes into the block to unscrew it from the hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If it's an older cassette as the 6 one probably is, you might not need the hain whip, it could just be a screw on cassette. You'll need the correct cassette tool. Go into a bike shop with the wheel and ask for the right one that will fit.

They might even take the cassette off for you if you ask nicely. Those screw-on cassettes are torturous to remove, they are tightened by the cycling motion, so can be tiiiiight !

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hmm this sounds a lot harder than I thought it would. Would it maybe be easier to try and replace the broken spokes and straighten up the wheel at the same time?

Advertisement