Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike alarms. Do you use one?

• 13-06-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Just curious to see how many bikers use Motorcycle Alarms. I use one and it prevented the bike being stolen once, and scared off a few teenagers that were messing about with it. It also scared the bejaysus out of a little 3 year old kid who decided he would like to sit up on the bike when it was parked outside a supermarket...hehe. :D

It didn't stop a crazy neighbour from cutting all the cables on the bike once, but there's not much you can do to stop that anyway.

One thing I hate about my alarm is that it 'beeps' every 7 seconds when the indicators are used...and I mean very loudly. So I disconnect the alarm before driving. A pain, but I'd never leave the bike un-alarmed now.

Also. if you do use an alarm, did you get an insurance discount after it was installed?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It didn't stop a crazy neighbour from cutting all the cables on the bike once, but there's not much you can do to stop that anyway.

What the hell???? :eek:

There is a similar thread on alarms below:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055312484

I alarms ftw IMO. Its a necessity nowadays.

the last time i checked, the insurers werent offering discounts in Ireland for having an alarm fitted though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Have a datatool alarm installed... Don't know about that beeping every 7 seconds thing on yours, sounds like something wrong there to me?

Anyhow, makes me feel a bit more confident about leaving it places alright when there's an alarm on. It has a motion sensor and immobiliser, I tend to switch off the motion sensor when outside the house at home because the rain cover can trigger it but elsewhere I have both armed and several times have come back to the bike to find the alarm was triggered in my absence, sometimes more than once, which makes me think it does serve its purpose well.

Wouldn't buy a bike now without one basically.

Quinn direct took some details of the alarm but they didn't seem too interested in actual proof etc. Don't think I got a discount but not sure now, can't remember the details of the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

faceman wrote: »
    What the hell???? :eek:

There is a similar thread on alarms below:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055312484

I alarms ftw IMO. Its a necessity nowadays.

the last time i checked, the insurers werent offering discounts in Ireland for having an alarm fitted though

Yeah, neighbour was a paranoid schizophrenic who believed I had 'ratted' on him to the TV Licence Inspector. He decided to get revenge by taking a wire snips to the bike. And after weeks of harrassment he kicked me from behind and knocked me down a flight of stairs.

But I guess this is not really bike related so I won't go into any further details.

Thanks for the link to the other thread....I hadn't noticed it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have a basic acumen on my KLE, had nothing on the Transalp. I had gotton into the habit of not using it the battery went on the fob. Anyway because of the transalp going I replace the battery last night and it didn't work so I took of the side panel and the wires had being pull and snapped. Don't know what to make of this, was it connected to the Transalp being robbed or did it happen whilst I was getting work do on it?

Which ever it was I need to get it sorted. The transalp has taught me a lesson I had a very good lock and chain on and it was cut like butter. Its also the first and last bike I brought without an alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Have a Meta on my yolk, does grand and keeps the scum away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I have an alarm on my road king, I've lost on FOB so if I lose the other one I'm fooked as I'll have to pay through the nose for replacements.
    Other bikes don't have alarms but I live in the country and have them in an alarmed concrete gaarage so I need not fear the scum.
    I've also had my bike sabotaged, someone slashed my break hoses once.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

kowloon wrote: »
    I have an alarm on my road king, I've lost on FOB so if I lose the other one I'm fooked as I'll have to pay through the nose for replacements.
    Other bikes don't have alarms but I live in the country and have them in an alarmed concrete gaarage so I need not fear the scum.
    I've also had my bike sabotaged, someone slashed my break hoses once.
    Id try getting another fob now, as sometimes you use your existing one to set your new one. Depending on the alarm, it can be a nightmare to get a replacement otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I had a databool on my old sv and just found it a pain in the t*ts!! Won't ever put another alarm on a bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I have one on my bandit 600, don't know the name of it but i would rather have it than not, it is an alarm and imob.......I always put it on when i go in to oay for pertol as well just to stop the little fookers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Oryx wrote: »
    Id try getting another fob now, as sometimes you use your existing one to set your new one. Depending on the alarm, it can be a nightmare to get a replacement otherwise.

Yup, new alarm system if I lose this fob, and I will, but I'm also incredibly lazy.
    I'll either get around to it eventually or, more likely, be on here complaining about how harley are a bunch of bastards who overcharge for new alarm systems :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I have one on the F6,it talks to me too. A bit embaressing actually,hawk system armed,hawk system disarmed, this bike is alarmed,please stand away. I'd have prefared if it just said,get the fook away from this bike scoby

Advertisement