Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Total Station Recommendations

• 13-06-2008 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a total station for the office.
    I haven't used one since college and am a little rusty on the topic.
    Before I start enquiring could anyone give me any recommendations, advice etc. when buying for both the software and hardware. There seems to be a huge selection out there with big price differerences.
    I will be using it for general setting out, site surveying mostly in rural areas so it dosent have to be ultra-accurate.
    Is extra training needed before using it or is it easy to pick up with previous basic college training.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

If you've used one before jimbo you'll probably pick it up fairly handy.

When buying confirm the following :

1. Warranty and what it covers.
    2. Waterproofing rating of the instrument.
    3. Will replacement cover be provided if repair is ever necessary.

Look for timber legs - much more stable than aluminium.
    Standard and mini-prism kit (mini essential for setting out)
    Check reflectorless range - important for picking up ridge /eaves / corners of buildings on adjoining sites even for smaller jobs.
    Get a spare battery thrown in, and a car charger kit - essential !!!!
    Also ask about whether a data logger is practical for your needs or not - one of these little babies is great for reducing drawing time back at base, but a bit pricey maybe for the type of work you've described.

Most companies will provide you with specific software for the instrument you buy, and you can also purchase more advanced land surveying software to reduce your workload when you get back to the office if this is necessary / practical for your needs.

There's a huge range out there - I have 2 different models at present and am happy with both, but I've worked with another couple and they aren't as user friendly.

Budget will decide basically. A standard job with reflectorless function you could get for €4.5 - €7k. Full robotic - last price I got was about €28k, but will go up to €40k depending on manufacturer.

Most companies will provide minimal on site training, with phone back up afterwards, but as usual the best way to learn is get out and do it.

PM me if you need more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Brilliant advice Super. Thanks very much.

I might just PM you when I get a chance to look into it further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Sound jimbo .... glad to be of assistance.

Advertisement