Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

is metal turning gay???(ie MCR A7X FOB etc)

• 13-06-2008 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

okay, so ive noticed that people feel MUCH stronger about what they hate rather than what they like.

Bands like My comical romance are, IMO, ruining the metal scene for anyone and everyone.

when i was a child i was lured into the music by the sheer toughness and aggression of bands like Pantera, Metallica, Slayer etc.

what impressionable spotty 13-year old boy is gonna look at MCR's queer frontman crying in his videos and think to himself: "wow i wanna be just like him, i bet hes soooo tough and could beat up ANYONE"????

A GAY MFING CHILD THATS WHO!!!!

now if it was against phil anselmo with his no BS f*ck the authorities attitude, that kid would be a lot different.

Avenged sevenfold, are kind of a grey area IMO, theyre a lot tougher and meaner than MCR, but only because theyre ripping off every other bands gimmick EVAR!!!!

i want to shoot their guitarist, didnt he give himself some silly stage name???

so basically, what bands do you guys hate, why, and do you think they are to the benifit or detriment of the most popular non-popular music of all time???

METAL!!!!
    \m/ \m/

note, i dont count MCR or fallout boy as metal.
    just thought id better clear that up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Metal turning gay? Quick, warn Rob Halford! He wouldn't stand for this! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Oh sweet jesus. you see this is what happens when you let brothers and sisters marry each other.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-6839.html

You were "lured" into metal by its sheer toughness and agression - so what you cant be tough, angry and gay?

Moron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MorrisORegan

Metal turning gay? Quick, warn Rob Halford! He wouldn't stand for this! :mad:

lol

okay, maybe i should have named the thread, is metal going soft, that prob wouldve been more accurate.

rob halford......good'un.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

How old are you?

Mr.S wrote: »
    Who in gods name classed FOB and MCR as metal, i've never ever heard anyone link the two together, not even the bands themselves class themselves as metal :confused:

yes i understad that, but they are, like it or not, the mainstream counterpart of metal, the bands that kids will listen too in order to get into the music.

what kid do you know that listens to slipknot in his new ipod that mommy and daddy got him for his 9th birthday while hes having a kick around on the green???

and believe me, those 2 bands you mentioned, tear at my soul.

i

hate

them.

• Advertisement

How old are you?

7. and you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

My son is 8. While he doesn't have an ipod, he listens to Thin Lizzy and Metallica. I'm hoping he'll grow out of Metallica.

My son is 8. While he doesn't have an ipod, he listens to Thin Lizzy and Metallica. I'm hoping he'll grow out of Metallica.

and fair play to him, but im not talking about the sons of people whos father view the rock and metal forum on boards.ie, im talking about ALL THE OTHER CHILDREN ASWELL!!!!

not saying your child is wierdo or anything, but not all kids are into it.

and its QUEER bands like my comical romance and fallout boi that gonna bring them in.

and im just enquiring if they(the bands) are displaying an accurate message of what it means to rock.

and to all posters, im entitled to my opinion, so if you dont like it, go comb your hair, sit in a dark corner, cut you wrists, and shut the f*uck up.

or give out to me on the net, either way, your still waisting valuable air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Big deal. Metal turned gay years ago and heres the proof:

Manowar.jpg

Just remember - Keep reaching for the rainbow as Ronnie Dio might say (who is obviously also gay)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That's manliness, not gayness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Metal turned gay in the 90's where were yiz all? Now it's turning metrosexual! :pac:

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    Moron

You can make your point without resorting to calling people morons, thanks.

ExposedPantera.jpgExposedPantera7.jpg

Metallica

ExposedMetallicaMetalliFagsHugging.jpg

And who could forget Slayers earlier efforts
    ExposedSlayer.jpg

ExposedSlayer3.jpg

ExposedSlayer4.jpg

:D Whats all this gay talk??

Honestly, it's a pretty ridiculous argument. Does it really effect anyone if there's some kids listening to MCR? Not really. If there was no MCR would the kids suddenly be listening to Slayer and the likes? Hardly, because heavier music just wouldn't appeal to them.

Everyone goes through periods of discovering their taste in music, it's really part of growing up, and I'm sure we've all got some embarrassing things we listened to when we were in our teen years. I know I've had a few CDs I brought to a second hand shop with a red face.

And honestly, does a frontman's ability to beat someone up mean they make better music? If music to you is merely a macho display, then why not go listen to some gangster rap instead? I hear 50 Cent took a bullet or two in his time, that must make him cool enough to listen to, right? :pac:

Listen to music for the music, not for attitude, not for some machismo or anything else. Listen to it because you enjoy it. If someone else enjoys music you don't, what business is it of yours?

Honestly, it's a pretty ridiculous argument. Does it really effect anyone if there's some kids listening to MCR? Not really. If there was no MCR would the kids suddenly be listening to Slayer and the likes? Hardly, because heavier music just wouldn't appeal to them.

Everyone goes through periods of discovering their taste in music, it's really part of growing up, and I'm sure we've all got some embarrassing things we listened to when we were in our teen years. I know I've had a few CDs I brought to a second hand shop with a red face.

And honestly, does a frontman's ability to beat someone up mean they make better music? If music to you is merely a macho display, then why not go listen to some gangster rap instead? I hear 50 Cent took a bullet or two in his time, that must make him cool enough to listen to, right? :pac:

Listen to music for the music, not for attitude, not for some machismo or anything else. Listen to it because you enjoy it. If someone else enjoys music you don't, what business is it of yours?
    i agree, i didnt mean a macho display, i just feel that going f*cking mental and the "skinhead" mentality appeals to me more than the "comb my hair over my face and wear purple clothes" mentality. not that appearance matters to me either, its just the way in which i define the mindsets. i appologize if i stated my case inaccurately, hope you can understand what im on about, even if you dont agree with it.

That's manliness, not gayness.

lol

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

What if you are gay.. and you listen to a gay metal band.. that's fronted by a gay guy/gal... are you like, uber mega gay or something?
    this heavy discussion really has me wondering... is metal creating a new sexual preference of super-gay...

Damn, are we going to have another group to segregate? all this worry is worrying me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Soon metal will be so gay only people called Gay will be allowed play it. Gay Byrne, he's on drums.

New sub-forum: Rock & Metal -> Gay Metal?
    ZakAttak for mod

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

ExposedPantera.jpgExposedPantera7.jpg

Metallica

ExposedMetallicaMetalliFagsHugging.jpg

And who could forget Slayers earlier efforts
    ExposedSlayer.jpg

ExposedSlayer3.jpg

ExposedSlayer4.jpg

:D Whats all this gay talk??

"when i was a child i was lured into the music by the sheer toughness and aggression of bands like Pantera, Metallica, Slayer etc."

:pac: Congratulations on your post bmbm,you've sucessfully proved the O.P's perspective on metal and image is completely ridiculous A+++

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i agree, i didnt mean a macho display, i just feel that going f*cking mental and the "skinhead" mentality appeals to me more than the "comb my hair over my face and wear purple clothes" mentality. not that appearance matters to me either, its just the way in which i define the mindsets. i appologize if i stated my case inaccurately, hope you can understand what im on about, even if you dont agree with it.

why do you feel so strongly about it?
    why does it bother you in the slightest, i think Slayer are kinda rubbish, do i go around shouting that i think theyre over rated (and might i add that their image was once alot camper than MCR's ever will be) i think that a slayer solo is kinda like static on a radio, no i just get on with it and awknowlege theyre contribution to music.

This probably wont be recieved exceptionally well but im a HUGE MCR fan, is it the only band i like no i like next to everything (Emperor, Mayhem, Metallica, Abigail Williams, Weezer, Boyz Noize pretty much anything anything that does rap :)). Whats the point of me saying this, im not ''gay'', im not emo, i just like those bands (FOB included).

My point is though, your the kinda person that makes music bad, and by that i mean your kinda like an indie hipster who only like band who play in dumpsters and release only on poorly recorded 8tracks. You are are whats wrong with the music scene today.

If you had kids (if you do i pity the woman you managed to sneak up upon and insemeninate :P) which would you prefer them to listen to, something awful attempt at a reggae flavour song like Sean Kingston or something thats well written like MCR?

sorry for the double post, i just realise that Phil from Pantera has his hair over his eye in the second Pantera pic, this has made my day OP

Phil Anselmo, more like Phil AnslEMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Slayer or My Chemical Romance?

Choices like that make me want to do a Van Gogh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 B-max

Gay since guitars (hair, solo's and tight pants) went out of fashion!
    I like metal, but who likes the "louis walsh pop version" of metal?
    More edge these days in rock/electronic music as far as I'm concerned
    blah blah blah what?

perhaps i should clear that up, i dont think MCR are better but i PREFER them to Slayer

That's fine Fad, i don't think they're better either ;)

Driver 8 wrote: »
    That's fine Fad, i don't think they're better either ;)

well then :)

Slayer do tour with good bands (ie Trivium and Mastodon is the next one, i do not know id this will be promoted my the forbidden promoter IF it comes here, if it will be, remove this)

You were going so well :p

Ugh...the mere mention of Trivium makes me shudder. But hey, my sn comes from an R.E.M. song, that makes me gay too, right :rolleyes:

Driver 8 wrote: »
    You were going so well :p

Ugh...the mere mention of Trivium makes me shudder. But hey, my sn comes from an R.E.M. song, that makes me gay too, right :rolleyes:

i dunno i like the music their faux tough guy image is a bit much.

but what about Mastodon? now theres a band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Uh, don't really get what this thread is trying to achieve. MCR and Avenged Seven Fold aren't even metal, they're just the latest crappy hyped up bands that are around all the time. Linkin park and Limp Bizkit anyone? It's all the same.

Metal is more accessible now then ever before, every genre of it too. So to narrow it down to those two sh1t bands and say it's becoming "gay" seems utterly pointless to me. :confused::confused:

Advertisement