Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

is metal turning gay???(ie MCR A7X FOB etc)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

It is indeed a band. What quality of band is another issue :p Dull comes to mind. Repetitive. And so on. Not my cup of tea i'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Driver 8 wrote: »
    It is indeed a band. What quality of band is another issue :p Dull comes to mind. Repetitive. And so on. Not my cup of tea i'm afraid.

yeah i think i wont press the issue :P

but my point is: i think in order for metal to expand i think it needs but less up its own arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Up its own arse? Not the best eupheism given the thread title.

Metal is, by its nature, up its own arse, its a pompous, overwrought genre. Sometimes that's whats best about it, sometimes it breeds attitudes like the OP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Can gays not be tough and aggressive?

I seem to be completely missing the point of this thread:confused:

The OP thinks that some bands are crap,fair enough, but I dont get where the gay reference comes in??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Well to be honest your examples could be classed as "gateway bands" (Where have we heard that expression before ? ;))

When I first got into metal it was through "gay" bands like Limp Bizkit and Korn I used those as a starting point, I progressed onto the likes of deftones and from there to Pantera, Slayer and the like, from there onto Death metal and from there to progressive and so on.

So basically those bands (although I cant listen to most of their releases anymore) were the ones that got me into metal proper.

So if even a small percentage find their way to the more hardcore stuff from listening to the likes of MCR then more power to them.

And even if they dont is their choice of band really going to affect anyone ? I mean th ehardcore bands will release their stuff for the fans and the "popular bands" will release their stuff for the masses. No harm dont to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Metal for me isn't about posing and playing the tough homophobe, it's just music to be enjoyed like any other music. As for 'gayness' OP, the guys from MCR have probably screwed more women than you have or ever will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

Whoever classed MCR an FOB as metal were very wrong...

IMO my chemical romance are a bunch of whining, crying b@stards...

Mr.S wrote: »
    Who in gods name classed FOB and MCR as metal, i've never ever heard anyone link the two together, not even the bands themselves class themselves as metal :confused:

My thoughts exactly.

Somebody is exagerating a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

The (only) good thing about this thread is that it made me reailse Tom Araya and John Romero were separated at birth...

ExposedSlayer4.jpg

john_romero_headshot_250.jpg

For anyone not completely familiar with Pantera's earlier image,I shall allow the guys to introduce themselves,as only a horribly camp 80's band could..

If you like it "hot and heavy",they've got it:D

pantera-metal-magic.jpg
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

The Pantera stuff

Jesus christ!
    That's crazy, Dimebag looks like Screech in a wig! And sounds like him too! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

MCR and Fallout Boy are not metal they are pop bands who will continue to churn out the obligatory three minutes of drivel they have to so they can stay on the radio for a few weeks more. Listen to Meshuggah. Thats real metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

FOB and MCR are as metal as coldplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Fad wrote: »

My point is though, your the kinda person that makes music bad, and by that i mean your kinda like an indie hipster who only like band who play in dumpsters and release only on poorly recorded 8tracks. You are are whats wrong with the music scene today.

What? What's wrong with that?

Ever hear of Big Black, no?:pac:

Bringing sound quality and bands that are obscure into the fray just cos their faces aren't on NME or Metal Hammer is a bit strange. Did you ever think that a lot of bands simply don't have the money to pay for state of the art recordings?

Did you ever think that a lot of bands simply don't have the money to pay for state of the art recordings?

No i didnt actually, because realistically a session in a recording studio isnt that expensive (im talking a small one, nothing particularly fancy) and burning it on to a cd is a helluve lot easier than faffing around with tape in this day and age :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

the metal scene is rather like the shoe industry, some shoes u would wear till the cows came home,other shoes u wouldnt wear even if you had to cross a big field covered in ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Sorry pal, you seem FAR more image conscious than any of the MCR fans. You are image conscious to the point of insecurity, in that you feel the need to bash and overstate your own "opinion" (if you can call this straw-man argument an opinion) to make yourself seem superior in some way, and are even so self-righteous as to act as a sort of observant social preservationist, saving the ignorant kiddies from themselves and the deceitful ne'er-do-good emo bands.

What would you have them do, ban all music that does not enforce the skin-head ideal? Just because the kids would rather listen to music than kick a ball around doesn't mean they fail at life. Maybe all this time spent listening to music will ignite a creative spark, enabling them to create amazing music of their own in years to come.

And I'm having trouble piecing together this ambiguity surrounding your use of the word "gay." Most of the MCR kids I see seem to be paired up in a fairly hetero way with one another. If you mean they seem happy, then I don't know about that.

For the record, I actually enjoy a few Fallout Boy song, they're catchy, fun and just mindless, serves as a nice break from the death/black-metal, electronia and what not. I could listen to Cryptopsy and then immediately switch on some Fallout Boy, then maybe a little Mutemath and then some King Crimson. Music doesn't suck so much when you learn to embrace what's good about all of it instead immediately "poo-poo"ing everythign that can't be labelled as tuff, hXc or MEHTALLLL. In summary: live a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Metal for me isn't about posing and playing the tough homophobe, it's just music to be enjoyed like any other music. As for 'gayness' OP, the guys from MCR have probably screwed more women than you have or ever will.

I was enjoying the thread up until i read this, god darn it!
    I think this thread obviously should lead to a sticky made up of really camp photos of bands!The Pantera ones are hilarious!

If you dont like certain bands, then you have the option to change the channel(or basically dont bother turning on any mtv channels!), turn off the radio or move to a different tent, its not worth getting worried about seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

gucci wrote: »
    I think this thread obviously should lead to a sticky made up of really camp photos of bands!

I agree

725.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MorrisORegan

and i would be responsible for creating a sticky???? really??/ little old me??? YAHOO!!!

• Advertisement

and i would be responsible for creating a sticky???? really??/ little old me??? YAHOO!!!

Oh god no not at all, stop slapping your own back. It was the quality dodge pictures posted by bmbm and MoominPapa that would br responsible for setting up a sticky........but i dont think theres any need for that.

Of course Poison are the ultimate hardcore heavy metal group

poison_group.jpg

And motley crue, they were double hard baxtards too

motleycrue.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I find it extremely objectionable that you're automatically associating something less "RARRRRRRR" as thrash metal with being gay. Only shows you up as being intollerant and having the maturity of a loaf of bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

hahaha thats very gay alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MorrisORegan

yes, you would be responsible after all, who ever starts a thread is responsible for its outcome, so yeah OP you would be responsible for starting a sticky.

dont mind all these w*nkers calling your opinion silly anyway, theyprobably spend all their time listening to poison, or motley crue.

Of course Poison are the ultimate hardcore heavy metal group

poison_group.jpg

And motley crue, they were double hard baxtards too

motleycrue.jpg

thanks buddy, i knew someone would agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Big deal. Metal turned gay years ago and heres the proof:

Manowar.jpg

Just remember - Keep reaching for the rainbow as Ronnie Dio might say (who is obviously also gay)

thats pretty gay allright, was it meant or was it just time to sack the stylist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Argh! I hate this kind of attitude :mad: Particularly the use of the words 'gay' as an insult. It doesn't make any sense. The band/music can't be gay, unless you mean 'happy'. If you mean 'homosexual', that doesn't make sense either. The music can't be homosexual. If you mean the band itself, in the case of MCR, all members are straight. But why should it matter? You can be 'macho' and also be gay. Just because they're not skinheads beating the crap out of each other on stage doesn't mean they're less manly than traditionally 'macho' bands, like Slayer, etc. In any case, have you never heard of an image, a stage performance? Just because the person is like that on stage, doesn't mean they are as tough/'gay' in real life.

OP, your post reminds of a battle of the bands I once attended where the winner was an 'emo' band (for want of better term), who must have only been about 15. A drunk guy came up from the audience to roar abuse at them, telling them that they should 'keep metal real.' Basically, he was making a complete show of himself, just because he didn't like the genre of music.

Lastly, what does it matter to you what the trendy kids are listening to these days? Does that mean you have to stop listening to what you like? As they say, 'fads come and go, but good music remains forever'.

Oh, just because I disagree with you it doesn't mean I 'sit in a dark corner slitting my wrists'. There are times I like to listen to MCR, and times I like to mosh to Pantera. That doesn't make me 'gay', 'queer' or 'emo'.

For the record, i never claimed any bands were gay, i just pointed out a few that dressed quite camply....(is that a word?) That Rammstein video is hilarious!

That Rammstein video is hilarious!

Ignore the video! get a translation for the lyrics! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,480 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I like a bunch of FOB songs. Lucky me.

Advertisement