Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will the EU punish us now?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭

Loads of scare tactics by the Yes Side, Forecasting Doom & Gloom..

What happens now, What punishment should we expect from the EU or were they false threats used to try and bully is into voting Yes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

They can't really do anything. Punishing us for voting no would be absolutely undemocratic and I doubt that's the message they want to give off if they ever want to get this through successfully.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

thread = fail

The EU can't 'punish' Ireland for following the democratic process.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Yes Campaign said it would be a disaster for Ireland, where's the disaster?, surley if there going to use feat tactics they must at least scare us a little bit if there ever to believed again....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

they can't punish us.

I voted Yes in the end, but was swinging both ways for ages.
    If they do punish us in some way, it would make me consider I was wrong to vote yes in favour of this institution.
    Personally, I'll be very anti-EU if they try to 'punish' us, and I'm sure many will feel the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Posted via Mobile Devicei love us to opt of of europe now :( see how we survive on our own just the way dev wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't see how they would be able to. Was just scare tactics by Yes campaign and Bernard Kouchner. He said: 'The first victims would be the Irish. They have benefited more than others.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Loads of scare tactics by the Yes Side, Forecasting Doom & Gloom..

What happens now, What punishment should we expect from the EU or were they false threats used to try and bully is into voting Yes?

This was the No crazies propoganda

What I want to know is when did Europe turn into some crazy china type state? Dishing out punishment to countries for not agreeing????? when when when answer that ye eeeejits!

But to late for that now as the no nuts won the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dev wanted us all to be farmers too :D

gcgirl wrote: »
    Posted via Mobile Devicei love us to opt of of europe now :( see how we survive on our own just the way dev wanted

I think Dev would be Carrying Gerry & Mary on each shoulder, A proud day for Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    dev wanted us all to be farmers too :D
    all except Big Mick, :pac: who he wanted dead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

There'll be no direct punishment, or any mention of it.

However, we're stuck with an inefficient system, and we missed out on what I view to be a good deal(Charter of Fundamental Rights, Global Warming aspirations, Citizen's Initiative, QMV, guaranteed parity in distribution of commissioners(though I would be surprised if a new system was brought in in 2009) and increased transparency to name a few aspects). I believe we'll lose foreign investment over this, as well as power and respect at the debating table. I can't see us being included in any future initiatives like Schengen either, and if we become more distant with Europe, we must become closer to the UK. With a conservative government coming in there soon, this is not something we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

This was the No crazies propoganda

What I want to know is when did Europe turn into some crazy china type state? Dishing out punishment to countries for not agreeing????? when when when answer that ye eeeejits!

But to late for that now as the no nuts won the day...

No no time to turn the coin the other way for a moment now. The No side got blasted over their scare tactics and many claim it's why the vote is looking like a no. Now lets look at the other side. We were warned by Biffo and co. that voting No would be a disaster and Europe would be very angry at us so.....

biko wrote: »
    I can't see how they would be able to. Was just scare tactics by Yes campaign and Bernard Kouchner. He said: 'The first victims would be the Irish. They have benefited more than others.'
    Absolutely. Nice of him to fail to mention how much other countries in the EU have benefitted from fishing our waters though considering they got about 2-3 times the amount (in €) that we got directly.

gcgirl wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we already tried that one. Wasn't that fun actually, even with oh so wondrous deV at the helm, steering us straight into the Atlantic.

Rb wrote: »
    Absolutely. Nice of him to fail to mention how much other countries in the EU have benefitted from fishing our waters though considering they got about 2-3 times the amount (in €) that we got directly.
    You have a source that suggests other member states got €114bn from fishing in our waters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

Rb wrote: »
    They can't really do anything. Punishing us for voting no would be absolutely undemocratic and I doubt that's the message they want to give off if they ever want to get this through successfully.

Punishing an entire country for the actions of a majority is as indefensible as punishing it for the actions of a minority.

Other EU countries should consider very carefully what the consequences would be if they decide to 'punish' us. Do they really want to turn the europhile elite in this country against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DishonestPikey

The Yes Campaign said it would be a disaster for Ireland, where's the disaster?, surley if there going to use feat tactics they must at least scare us a little bit if there ever to believed again....

Where's the disaster? at least wait till its over! I think the disaster you are referring to is that as politicians working in the EU they will not have the same bargaining power as previously. As a small nation that has little to offer the EU except maybe fish, we rely on people liking us and Irish politicians have been very good at gaining support from other nations for their arguments.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Now lets look at the other side. We were warned by Biffo and co. that voting No would be a disaster and Europe would be very angry at us so.....

Had "yes' won then Europe would have been a more streamlined operation but the average person on the street wouldn't have noticed any difference in their day-to-day lives. Any effects would have takes a while to filter through.

Now that you've voted 'no' I imagine that the same guy still won't feel any differences and the negative effects, if any, will take a while to materialise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

O'Morris wrote: »
    Other EU countries should consider very carefully what the consequences would be if they decide to 'punish' us. Do they really want to turn the europhile elite in this country against them?

That's not what'll happen. When Ireland is first to lose a Commissioner in 2009, the Europhile elite will have its hand strengthened: "See? We told you Libertas was full of sh!ite and you wouldn't listen!"

ShooterSF wrote: »
    We were warned by Biffo and co. that voting No would be a disaster and Europe would be very angry at us so.....

Thank you Shooter!!

The Government came out and said that quite clearly! Now if biffo and the boys are bull****ting us, they should be punished at the next election, Shamefull that our Governmemt would treat us with such little respect!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

Don't know what europe can do to us to "punish" us but the immediate consequences will be a weakening euro resulting in even higher fuels costs...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well what do you think will happen when Mr.Brian Cowen goes to Europe with proposal submissions?

Well what do you think will happen when Mr.Brian Cowen goes to Europe with proposal submissions?
    He wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

Zube wrote: »
    That's not what'll happen. When Ireland is first to lose a Commissioner in 2009, the Europhile elite will have its hand strengthened: "See? We told you Libertas was full of sh!ite and you wouldn't listen!"

Libertas will be long forgotten about by the time that happens and so there will be no political capital to be gained from I-told-you-sos

Regardless of what people on the yes side say, there is still room for renegotiation over the commission. The results of this treaty give our politicians a mandate to take a firmer line in making sure Ireland has better representation in the commission.

Zube wrote: »
    The majority of people in this country wouldn't know what the role of the commissioner is, who our one is, the consequences of losing one etc. to cause them to vote no purely on the disbelief that we'll keep ours as a consequence.

Do you not think we should send Gerry Adams, He has a lot more experience in Negotiation deals for the Irish People!!

Personally I don't see this happening. As other threads have pointed out, unlike Nice, there aren't specific points that we could possibly renegotiate.

Has anyone who called for a "no" vote ever said what they would change in the treaty should be given the opportunity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A No vote is good for Sinn Fein, election time coming around next year, and the people sided with them. Probably the best reason to risk going against the rest of the government.

"You voted No with us, now vote for us!"

BMH wrote: »
    You have a source that suggests other member states got €114bn from fishing in our waters?
    Google.

Someone else posted an article on it recently, due to the amount of threads there are on it I'm not arsed searching for it to prove a well known point, so if you're interested have a look around Googles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thecaptain

Punnish???????????????? SO you have already accepted the fact that the EU is a totalitarian enterprise???

At least that is something.

As for Punnishment, maybe they should cut all ties with Ireland, that would please me.

Advertisement