Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

1huge1 wrote: »
    I said it was in the local super markets in the town, then wrote down aldi, ceebo and lidl.
    fairly sure thats right

I tihnk i got the robot thing right, just wrote down loads of words and tihnk the right thing was in there somewhere

I think i got that question wrong, I just said she took his phone, did everyone say frederika for the one who was more confident and forward?
    No I said Tessa(was that her name?!) because Tessa seemed to be more confident, and Frederika said something about her heart racing or something. And Tessa went up to get the drink while Frederika stayed behind. I dunno, I just got the general impression that Tessa seemed to be more confident. But I found that comprehension hard so I'm probably wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leomessi

Was anyone that was thinking of doing german next year dissuaded by today?I know I got a good result but it just highlighted (especially in listening as people in germany don't like repeating themselves 3 times) how much is left to master.

In my letter I was a bit controversal. Called yer man a bastard for the tickets. When asked about other german-speaking countries talked about good auld Adolf (clearly misunderstood, who else saw South Park...wir mussen die J- ....) and inserted Anschluss between Ostereich....it seemed good at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

CoolCiaran wrote: »
    Clean the glass of the railway station I think. He could work 5 times as fast as a human. And there was something else about 1500 or something but I didn't catch it.
    I got the same, he cleans the roof, 1500m squared of glass.

Worst part was your man's name in the note, you'd think it was Dachsen or something but he spelt it more like..Deaksen? I can't remember, but it didn't look very German so I was probably wrong.

For the comprehension I said Tessa was the confident one, because she told the other one to be cool with her eyes, and Frederika was sweating and her knees were shaking and she wished she was Tessa. Basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

leomessi wrote: »
    In my letter I was a bit controversal. Called yer man a bastard for the tickets. When asked about other german-speaking countries talked about good auld Adolf (clearly misunderstood, who else saw South Park...wir mussen die J- ....) and inserted Anschluss between Ostereich....it seemed good at the time

If your grammar was acceptable and you answered all the points, they can't actually dock you off marks I think... I wouldn't have tried it that's for sure :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Worst part was your man's name in the note, you'd think it was Dachsen or something but he spelt it more like..Deaksen? I can't remember, but it didn't look very German so I was probably wrong.

For the comprehension I said Tessa was the confident one, because she told the other one to be cool with her eyes, and Frederika was sweating and her knees were shaking and she wished she was Tessa. Basically.

I said it was Frederika as she was the one who robbed the wallet and it said something that Tessa left escpaed out of the cafe before her.

Neither of them is wrong as long as you back it up and the points are right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fated2pretend

leomessi wrote: »
    Was anyone that was thinking of doing german next year dissuaded by today?I know I got a good result but it just highlighted (especially in listening as people in germany don't like repeating themselves 3 times) how much is left to master.

I'm hoping to do German next year, and you're right, it really does show that there's never a specific point when learning a language that you can stop and say 'Yup, I'm finished'.

I'll still be doing it, though, and I'm still looking forward to it. It'd have been nicer if it'd been a nicer paper (and I do think it wasn't a great paper - the Schriftliche Produktion on water was paticularly difficult), but I'm not going to let one day put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Paul Darken I tihnk I wrote

damn I messed up that part then with frederika, ah well is only one part of the comprehension. though they might accecpt both answers if you made good points like, I thought my points were good.
    I'm hoping to do German next year, and you're right, it really does show that there's never a specific point when learning a language that you can stop and say 'Yup, I'm finished'.

I'll still be doing it, though, and I'm still looking forward to it. It'd have been nicer if it'd been a nicer paper (and I do think it wasn't a great paper - the Schriftliche Produktion on water was paticularly difficult), but I'm not going to let one day put me off

I too want to do german next year but im panicing now because I don't know if I'll get the C1 needed for UCC, like I did really good in my oral, though my tape went faily well but I dont really know how I did in the comprehension's like could of done well not sure, my letter was fairly good except for the global warming kinda stuck for idea's. My auserung wasnt great either but Ill have the marks for content in it.

I know its not a lot to go on but if I did fairly ok in the comprehension do you think I should get a C1?

Was a strange literary text, and they were in an art gallery, and they were looking at the painting and the people in it! I thought it was that those people were actually there. :o

However, I wrote it in a way that I probably won't lose that many marks. Hopefully :p

I wrote Paul Dachsen, did he spell it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

crap, wonder how many made that mistake

Me :(

Yeah, I didn't know what that was at all! I thought he said Dachsen but when she spelled it I could have sworn there was an "r" in there...Derksen?
    titan18 wrote: »
    I said it was Frederika as she was the one who robbed the wallet and it said something that Tessa left escpaed out of the cafe before her.

+1

Jakkass wrote: »
    I wrote Paul Dachsen, did he spell it out?

That's what I got too. The receptionist spelled it out and he just confirmed it.

For the art gallery, I think that the painting had inspired them or something - it showed a father and son using tricks to get money from people, and the very last line has one of the girls saying 'Now we've done the same as them - or even better' ... Something like that, anyway :confused:

Is the paper online yet?

• Advertisement

I know its not a lot to go on but if I did fairly ok in the comprehension do you think I should get a C1?

A good oral, a good tape and an alright paper should get you a C, don't worry :D

I was hoping for an A myself, but I'd say I probably got a B - which is grand too!

So all of us German learners, how many of us admire Hilter, is he a source of pride and inspiration when you spit back venomous insults against da Frenchies! Do you keep a copy of Mein Kampf under yer pillow
    I think we all should've drawn a huge swastica on our exam papers:D
    I always think he's a ledge:cool: (what an orator)until you see the concentration camps, then you have to say ,look he just got carried away.:(

Can anyone confirm what the third part of the b ausserung meant?
    Gesund zu essen ist wichtig, damit man sich fit hält. Nennen Sie drei Dinge,
    die man bei seiner Ernährung besonders beachten sollte.

Is it what kind of things you should eat? Or why it is important to eat healthily?

A good oral, a good tape and an alright paper should get you a C, don't worry :D

I was hoping for an A myself, but I'd say I probably got a B - which is grand too!

I'd love a B1 :)

That's what I got too. The receptionist spelled it out and he just confirmed it.
    No way :( I was SURE I heard 'ka' when the receptionist spelt it, but looking back it was probably 'ha', damn my incessant deafness.

I did write 'Dachsen' down when I heard it first, but crossed it out when the b!tch spelt it, any idea if you get marks for correct crossed out answers?

Yeah, the receptionist said the name really quicly. I had Paul Dachsen, but changed it to Derksen after she said it. I don't know if that's right or not.

I found it very hard to think of a national competition, I just wrote about the Concern Debates. And for my school, I just wrote about a Chess tournament(which doesn't exist by the way!) that everyone really wants to win!

tabouli wrote: »

Is it what kind of things you should eat? Or why it is important to eat healthily?

I did the first Ausserung, I found it far easier with the e-mail, and the points seemed easier.

Three things that one should especially observe in ones nourishment,

Yeah, the receptionist said the name really quicly. I had Paul Dachsen, but changed it to Derksen after she said it. I don't know if that's right or not.

Did you just put a line through it or did you scribble it out completely. If they can read the other answer you put they can give you marks.

• Advertisement

tabouli wrote: »

Yeah I was a bit confuserd about what that meant aswell, but I had to pick the B Ausserung and take my chances because the A Ausserung looked awful, lol! I know nothing about inline-skating! For that third part, I just wrote how people should play sport, drink water and eat breakfast. No idea whether that's right or not, but it's seems to be along with the general theme of what that ausserung was about.

Just make it up? I was more confused about the second one than the first!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I could of sworn there was K in it aswel, spelt it darksen,

anyway in that part when ticking the box did everyone choose the last box?

3.'wird noch heute Vormittag einen Rückruf erhalten.' 'will receive a call back this afternoon'
    4.'soll sich heute Vormittag noch einmal melden. 'should ring again this afternoon'

I ticked the third, 'cos she took his number...

Yeah I was a bit confuserd about what that meant aswell, but I had to pick the B Ausserung and take my chances because the A Ausserung looked awful, lol! I know nothing about inline-skating! For that third part, I just wrote how people should play sport, drink water and eat breakfast. No idea whether that's right or not, but it's seems to be along with the general theme of what that ausserung was about.

Me neither! :p Yeah I just wrote that you should drink lots of water, eat fruit and avoid fast food...hopefully that'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

3.'wird noch heute Vormittag einen Rückruf erhalten.' 'will receive a call back this afternoon'
    4.'soll sich heute Vormittag noch einmal melden. 'should ring again this afternoon'

I ticked the third, 'cos she took his number...

Same

I could of sworn there was K in it aswel, spelt it darksen,

anyway in that part when ticking the box did everyone choose the last box?

"kah" and "hah" sound very similar in fairness. Dachsen sounds like a German name imo anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Did anyone else find Frau Koch's voice really irritating?

Exam could have gone better. It wasn't that difficult a paper. I think it was just the fact that the mocks fooled me into thinking it would be easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

Does anyone know what the third reason for the cuckoo's decline was? I got climate change and the felling of trees for roads...

Paper was ok overall, but some of the listening was harsh. Kept thinking of LOADS of oral stuff during the letter. Some of that was Junior Cert like; differences between Ireland and Germany!

• Advertisement

Stevieo wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the third reason for the cuckoo's decline was? I got climate change and the felling of trees for roads...

Pesticides?

Advertisement