Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

Damn....I said 'pests'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

^^^something like a constant decrease in living space ... not too sure ^^^^ and pesticides lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Stevieo wrote: »
    Damn....I said 'pests'!

Me too :(

Maybe they'll take it as some form of abbreviation? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 karkar

The name was Paul Derksen.
    The cuckoo's living space was decreasing due to the spread of pesticides I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ are you sure about derksen? i might of actually got it right so

I also got all the reasons said for the cuckoo but I also said emmisions from cars, could of sworn I heard that in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fated2pretend

For the first grammar question, did anyone else say Genitive?!

Er war vielleicht ein Geschäftsmann aus einem der großen Bürohäuser.

I know 'aus' takes Dative, but I figured that 'einem' would be 'one of' ... Now I'm not so sure I was right! :confused:

For the first grammar question, did anyone else say Genitive?!

Yeah, cos it's from one OF the big office blocks. Possession of the offices like...oh you Germans! Letting buildings own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Thought it was a lovely paper, the comprehensions were easier than previous years and relative pronouns came up!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

titan18 wrote: »
    I said it was Frederika as she was the one who robbed the wallet and it said something that Tessa left escpaed out of the cafe before her.

Neither of them is wrong as long as you back it up and the points are right

I think it usually has a marking scheme and only Tessa would be acceptable as
    they made many references to how nervous Fredericka was, how she thought she would be arrested etc. Unfortuantely it's not like in that respect!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Stevieo wrote: »
    Yeah, cos it's from one OF the big office blocks. Possession of the offices like...oh you Germans! Letting buildings own people.

Yes, der with a plural noun can only be Genetiv.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

lizt wrote: »
    I think it usually has a marking scheme and only Tessa would be acceptable as
    they made many references to how nervous Fredericka was, how she thought she would be arrested etc. Unfortuantely it's not like in that respect!

I'm pretty sure that either will do cos it didnt say it in the question, as long as you could find relevant points in the story to back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PILOT

i dont know how so many of you understood the first comp...only one person out of a class of 12 understood it......i was tinkin it was about 2 waitresses who spilled coffee on this baker man and he was angry...blah, blah,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

1 spilled coffee, and 1 stole his wallet. It was about a pickpocket operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Nice paper. First comprehension was very easy.

The only thing that caught me was that third section in the Ausserung. I said one should eat healthily to avoid heart attacks, obesity and something else. It was a very tough question, that shouldn't cause too many downfalls I shalln't think. The content marks may be damaged slightly, but not too seriously. Even at that, three marks in the whole gist of things is .75%. Pfft.

A1's in German are rare, aren't they? We have a superb teacher, and yet A's seem very rare over the last few years (none last year anyway). I do French also, a much easier A1 subject.

PILOT wrote: »
    i dont know how so many of you understood the first comp...only one person out of a class of 12 understood it......i was tinkin it was about 2 waitresses who spilled coffee on this baker man and he was angry...blah, blah,

A lot of my friends never latched onto it either. I was surprised.

That journalistic text wasn't too bad. I'd rather if they just gave a list of sentences to translate, the second comprehension is just a glorified form of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 thewildone

i wrote Paul Daxen or something along those lines but i know i spelt it the way i heard in english so it shud be dachsen!

i wrote The Young Scientists Award for a national competition.

I thought the oral was so hard:( It was like a chid just blabberin on:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Catikins

I wrote dachsen at first. But he seemed to pronounce it "day-chsen" and is the letter E not pronounced "ay"? Or does an umlaut on the A make it sound like "ay"?
    Maybe i just heard it wrong.

In the letter for the competition thing, I just said our school runs a competition every may and talked about the different sports played and that we won the football one last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Katerrrs

Catikins wrote: »
    I wrote dachsen at first. But he seemed to pronounce it "day-chsen" and is the letter E not pronounced "ay"? Or does an umlaut on the A make it sound like "ay"?

But when the secretary (or whoever answered the phone) spelt it out, she definitely mentioned an 'r' and a 'k'...i thought she spelt out Derksen

Katerrrs wrote: »
    But when the secretary (or whoever answered the phone) spelt it out, she definitely mentioned an 'r' and a 'k'...i thought she spelt out Derksen
    Ya I definitely heard a 'R' and a 'K'

But are you sure the second letter was 'E', sounded more like a 'A' to me as in 'Darksen' but there both very alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 **simone**

I thought this was a pretty nice paper??

Aural was lovely!!

Can anyone tell me..was it the mans wallet that was stolen in the first comprehension?????

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Easiest OL paper in the history of the new German curriculum!

1huge1 wrote: »

But are you sure the second letter was 'E', sounded more like a 'A' to me as in 'Darksen' but there both very alike.

You surely know a bit about the German alphabet at this stage:

J= yut
    K= kaw
    H=haw
    I= ee
    E= a
    A= aw

etc etc
    It was most definitely Derksen.

**simone** wrote: »
    I thought this was a pretty nice paper??

Aural was lovely!!

Can anyone tell me..was it the mans wallet that was stolen in the first comprehension?????

Yes, by the two pick-pocketers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 blueepurple

I got derksen too. anyone else just say supermarkets for the question about where in Hassloch do they do the tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Riverperson

Yeah I got Derksen as well.
    I also got pesticides for the cookoo thing.
    And I said in supermarkets for the testing thing.
    And I'm sure I ticked the 3 box in the note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

1huge1 wrote: »

yeah it was darksen or derksen forgot what i wrote down

its actully a scandanavian surname

• Advertisement

Ekels wrote: »
    You surely know a bit about the German alphabet at this stage:

J= yut
    K= kaw
    H=haw
    I= ee
    E= a
    A= aw

etc etc
    It was most definitely Derksen.

Hey no need to be rude, I just mixed up the A and the E in one part, it can easily happen.
    I got derksen too. anyone else just say supermarkets for the question about where in Hassloch do they do the tests?
    I said supermarkets, but just to be safe I also wrote down in that question lidl, aldi and ceebo.

The answer has got to be there somewhere.

Advertisement