Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a foldup bike

Options
  • 13-06-2008 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Ok i'm commuting on DART and i already have a foldup bike but it was a cheap one and the gears have packed in on me.
    Can anyone recommend a bike/shop/ebay site etc. Main thing is that its compact,lightweight and has gears.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I would recommend looking at Brompton, Mezzo or high-end Dahon (the low end Dahon's are not great).

The first two are sold in Cycleways in Dublin. You'll have to get a Dahon online, there's no Irish dealer.

You should be prepared to spend in excess of 800 euro for a decent folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 RedTea

If i needed a folder that i had to fold up a couple of times a day i'd probably go with a brompton as from what i've seen they're pretty quick when it comes to folding/unfolding.

Dahon curve seems to be the best offering from them on the commuter front.

http://www.dahon.com/intl/curvesl.htm

I've got a dahon Speed P8 which I'm more than happy with but I'm not folding it daily - would take 20-30 sec. I think 20" wheels are a bit big when it comes to getting it on/off dart etc. 16" better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

Thanks for the replys guys. I should have stated that i'm only cycling approx 5k per day on it so i'm not really prepared to spend that much.

I bought a Sunlova(terrible i know) from ebay for about €100 and would prob do the job if i patched it up. Saying that i'd prefer something a bit more reliable.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

might be cheaper to get two normal bikes and lock them at the stops you get on/off from.

RedTea wrote: »
    If i needed a folder that i had to fold up a couple of times a day i'd probably go with a brompton as from what i've seen they're pretty quick when it comes to folding/unfolding.

Dahon curve seems to be the best offering from them on the commuter front.

http://www.dahon.com/intl/curvesl.htm

I've got a dahon Speed P8 which I'm more than happy with but I'm not folding it daily - would take 20-30 sec. I think 20" wheels are a bit big when it comes to getting it on/off dart etc. 16" better.

I have a Dahon Speed and I can fold it in under 10 seconds.

• Advertisement

boy_wonder wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys guys. I should have stated that i'm only cycling approx 5k per day on it so i'm not really prepared to spend that much.

I bought a Sunlova(terrible i know) from ebay for about €100 and would prob do the job if i patched it up. Saying that i'd prefer something a bit more reliable.

Thanks again

You could also have a look at this one now that I think of it

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360028504&N=Kalkhoff%20Pro%20Connect%20F8

Seems to get good reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

paddyb wrote: »
    might be cheaper to get two normal bikes and lock them at the stops you get on/off from.

Good suggestion Paddy.
    Tried and tested and bike wheels buckled overnight by vandals and eventually stolen...the lock was worth more than the bike so cant be trusted im afraid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 RedTea

penexpers wrote: »
    I have a Dahon Speed and I can fold it in under 10 seconds.

it depends what height your handle bars are before you start folding it..mine are set low, so if i want to fold it i need to raise the bars so they don't clash with the front hub when folding... so it take me a bit longer.

15 sec is the time given on the dahon material...but would take a bit of practice..plus you may need to add a few secs if you want to pop it into a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

boy_wonder wrote: »
    Ok i'm commuting on DART and i already have a foldup bike but it was a cheap one and the gears have packed in on me.
    Can anyone recommend a bike/shop/ebay site etc. Main thing is that its compact,lightweight and has gears.

Thanks in advance

Found this on buy&sell.ie

Bike. Leinster Co. Dublin
    Fold up, €40. 01-8344394

Might be worth a look..

• Advertisement
Advertisement