Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Did the Horse's Leg Evolve

• 13-06-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Ok I am unbelievably confused about horse's legs. Why do the joints on their legs bend the opposite way to most other mammals? Are the limbs turned around or something. For example on a dog their front legs bend like our arms. So why doesn't a horses.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spottykatt

Em... not sure if your taking d p*ss or what cause horses front leg bends the exact same as a dogs, shoulder, elbow, knee/carpus and distal joints - the legs are anatomically very similiar with the only significant difference being the number of digits as the horse is ungulate or 'single toed'

Maybe the OP means, why do all four of a horses' leg bend in the same direction.

In dogs (and human) our legs and arms bend in opposite directions (I think, I'm no vet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

spottykatt wrote: »
    Em... not sure if your taking d p*ss or what cause horses front leg bends the exact same as a dogs, shoulder, elbow, knee/carpus and distal joints - the legs are anatomically very similiar with the only significant difference being the number of digits as the horse is ungulate or 'single toed'

No I'm not taking the piss.

See in this vid how the front legs bend at the knee forwards where in a dog it bends backwards if ya get what I'm saying. And in the back legs it bends bacwards where in a dog it bends forward.

Am I making any sense or have I got it completly mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spottykatt

Maybe the OP means, why do all four of a horses' leg bend in the same direction.

In dogs (and human) our legs and arms bend in opposite directions (I think, I'm no vet).

Nope, dogs and horses largely the same and same joints as humans hind end too ie. hip, stifle/knee, hock/ankle, and then the obvious differences with the distal joints but its cause the digits are less numerous. (pretty certain on this one, vet;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

Okay did a bit more research and cleared up my problems. Thanks for putting up with me anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement