Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aftermarket Cruise Control

Options
  • 13-06-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I am looking at getting an Aftermarket Cruise control fitted to my car. I am looking at a few at the moment, through work.

Has anyone ever had on fitted? Any idea of the fitting costs, not a DIY job as their are clutch switch, speed sensors etc. to be fitted. Can anyone recommend a system? Or are the a complete waste of time and money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭blackbox

CC is definitely nice to have but I can't imagine it would be worth the effort & expense of an aftermaket installation unless your car is a some sort of classic.

How much for the kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I am looking at getting an Aftermarket Cruise control fitted to my car. I am looking at a few at the moment, through work.

Has anyone ever had on fitted? Any idea of the fitting costs, not a DIY job as their are clutch switch, speed sensors etc. to be fitted. Can anyone recommend a system? Or are the a complete waste of time and money?

I remember reading of someone who got a revo remap on an octavia RS and they fitted cruise control to it as part of the modification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

blackbox wrote: »
    CC is definitely nice to have but I can't imagine it would be worth the effort & expense of an aftermaket installation unless your car is a some sort of classic.

How much for the kit?

It's a 2006 Mondeo Diesel. I drive 80miles a day, mainly motorway that's why I was thinking of getting. As for the price, lets just say, I will pay less than a motor factor would for it. reckon Ford would charge an arm and leg for it.

Ferris, you wouldn't have any other details on that would you. Would like to get car re-mapped.

This is the revo dealer in Ireland

http://www.westwardeng.com/contact.htm

best of luck

Thanks for that. Rang Westward, Revo are for VAG only, but they don't fit cruise control. Tuning Box works out at €530 fitted. Will fit box and let test drive to see increase of power. Might look at this after CC, will reduce chances of points...

edit: Will bring 115bhp to 143bhp, plus plenty of extra Nm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

If its 115bhp now i assume its a TDCi, would you not be better getting a higher spec Mondeo, like the 130bhp and Zetec models most likely have cruise control. I think even a lot of the LX models in UK have cruise control AFAIK.

HJL wrote: »
    If its 115bhp now i assume its a TDCi, would you not be better getting a higher spec Mondeo, like the 130bhp and Zetec models most likely have cruise control. I think even a lot of the LX models in UK have cruise control AFAIK.

It's the 2.0TDCi alright, Zetec model. LX models here are only 90bhp. Only have the car less than 1 year, went for it because the trade in was great (gave me €500 less than I paid for the car trading) and milage was low. It was very hard to get this spec car here, most Mondeo diesels here are rep cars therefore tend to be LX model.

Then try a good mechanic for the CC, try to get the bits out of a scrappie to reduce the cost. The hardware is probably pretty modular and easy to fit, it has to be for factory assembly. The software end of things I don't know about.

I'd go for a remap before a tuning box, look up www.superchips.co.uk for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I know many cars now come will all the kit for CC as standard. All they put on is the stalk (and possibly a clutch switch) when you get the CC as an extra on a new car. Knowing this I went to the dealer and bought the stalk & Plastic panel for my 05 Alfa 156 and fitted it in less than 5 minutes. (Total Cost €80)

I also bought the stalk and a clutch switch for my other half's 04 Astra and fitted them in 10 mins (did need to get it activated in the Opel dealer though) (Total Cost €100)

I'm sure if you google you'll be able to get info for lots of other cars too!!

If I can help let me know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

hey bottletops..........where did you get the stalk etc for your cars ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

hey bottletops..........where did you get the stalk etc for your cars ?

From the Dealers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I can't see the benefit of cc on irish roads, very few are long enough & most have too much congestion to make it worthwhile.

The kit I was looking at is not suitable, mine is on a electronic accellarator (sp) system.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    I can't see the benefit of cc on irish roads, very few are long enough & most have too much congestion to make it worthwhile.

I drive a motorway every day that is around 20 miles between exits and can easily take the car up to 160kph. I am sure that there are many more like this around.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

there are PLENTY of roads where CC can be used !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I have CC and its great. I also drive 80 miles a day round trip.

The only problem is that the amount of times I get to use it are minimal. That being said I travel from Waterford to Wexford at peak times.

Its great when it comes with the car but I dont think I'd bother installing it aftermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I drive a motorway every day that is around 20 miles between exits and can easily take the car up to 160kph.
    160km/h? You need a governor, not cruise control!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement