Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding through Kilmacanogue

Options
  • 13-06-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Has anyone ever been caught speeding in Kilmacanogue?

Are there cameras? 'Tis bizzare ! There is a 60 speed limit and those in the left crawl along - those in the right lane can be doing almost 100 - feel like a tool in the left lane .. .. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I saw someone getting done today southbound. There are no fixed cameras there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

They have speed checks there from time to time, normally set up on the left just after the Esso station in behind the wall so you can't see them as you're slowing down from 100 to 60 travelling northbound.

It's a bit crafty I guess, but I'm sure the limit is 60 for a reason. I've seen plenty of occasions when folks get stopped along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Could never understand why the limit was 60 until I tried to leave that garage. You only have a few meters to get out onto the duel carriageway and thats driving straight through a slip road. It's almost impossible to pick up enough speed when other cars are coming at you at 100kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what they should do at the garage is, to make you go up and around the roundabout and back down to the N11.

Cremo wrote: »
    what they should do at the garage is, to make you go up and around the roundabout and back down to the N11.

That or everyone else just slow down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

ian_m wrote: »

Its a joke making people slow down for the sake of a petrol station. They should have just put some thought into the petrol station and planned it better.

Large on and off roads, thats all thats needed.

I would class it as dangerous, when you slow down to 60, and cars (in one case a large dump truck) scream up behind you at 100+ and then try to hop into the right lane in a very dangerous manoeuvre to get around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Theres no fixed cameras, but i have seen people getting caught. They hide in at the entrance for Avoca Handweavers when your going northbound. Southbound ive been told in by the bridge.

Jemmy wrote: »
    Theres no fixed cameras, but i have seen people getting caught. They hide in at the entrance for Avoca Handweavers when your going northbound. Southbound ive been told in by the bridge.
    Or sometimes, going southbound, they are on the central reservation under the flyover. Very hard to pick them out down there and they have a long range to pick you out!

As for the Shell Station, you're SUPPOSED to go up the slip road and join the N11 after the flyover!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's got bugger all to do with 'slowing down a bit' ... whichever idiot allowed that junction to be designed such that people coming out of the garage come out onto, and have to merge onto the N11, from an OFF RAMP for the Glendalough exit should be hung, drawn, quartered and any traffic engineering qualifications he might have removed ceremoniously from his writhing dead body. And that's putting it mildly :)

You could put a 50km/h limit on that bit of road and it still wouldn't make it any safer.

As for the Shell Station, you're SUPPOSED to go up the slip road and join the N11 after the flyover!
    Common sense would indeed dictate that you should do this, if you were made aware of the situation as you left the station, or if you knew the road beforehand, but IIRC there are no signs saying you should do this as you leave the station, and if you're a stranger to the area, you'd have no idea as you left that someone could be that stupid to design a junction like that.

The whole thing is made even more dangerous by idiot truck drivers who park in the slip road with their 'park anywhere hazard lights' on, to presumably just pop into the Shell station for their breakfast roll / fags / copy of the Sun, as was the case this morning when I took that exit. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Common sense would indeed dictate that you should do this, if you were made aware of the situation as you left the station, or if you knew the road beforehand, but IIRC there are no signs saying you should do this as you leave the station, and if you're a stranger to the area, you'd have no idea as you left that someone could be that stupid to design a junction like that.

How would you go about explaining that to drivers? It would only cause confusion. This is why they have implemented the speed limit. It's easier to get people to slow down and easier for people to merge.

How would you go about explaining that to drivers? It would only cause confusion. This is why they have implemented the speed limit. It's easier to get people to slow down and easier for people to merge.
    Very easily I'd imagine.

It's just a plain stupid arrangement, full stop. Deliberately design and build something that is, by definition, unsafe and contrary to every traffic engineering rule in the book, and then impose a speed limit to make it "safe". The phrase "only in Ireland" springs to mind. Even 60km/h isn't enough to make something that obviously insane safe by any reasonable measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Drive there daily. I have often seen police crouched behind the wall of the glencormack estate (northbound), just before the entrance but never any on the southbound road.

The garages on either side beggar belief: Southbound you have people zipping out of the garage as you attempt to take the slip road; northbound, you have people queuing to enter the garage and blocking the slip, and then two to three buses that may pull out as you enter the dual carriageway.

Perhaps the slip road at Shell needs to be separated from the carriageway with barriers or something?

It means you'd have to join the slip earlier, but it would also prevent cars coming out of the garage and straight onto the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I have to use that damn exit every day on the way into work, in winter in the rain with spray flying around, I've had a few near misses even with slower traffic, any faster would be total disaster.
    That damn Shell Garrage and the truckers that park out side it totally wrecks my head! I've seen traffic backed up almost to the Eniskerry turnoff on R755 because of idiots parking opposite that garage.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Perhaps the slip road at Shell needs to be separated from the carriageway with barriers or something?

It means you'd have to join the slip earlier, but it would also prevent cars coming out of the garage and straight onto the N11.

I think there was talk of doing this but not sure if anything will come of it. Would be a good idea imo. Very unsafe and no signs saying you are supposed to go over the flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Agree with most posters re. the Shell garage. However it would not be necessary to put up barriers or signs, a continuous white line should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

loobylou wrote: »
    Agree with most posters re. the Shell garage. However it would not be necessary to put up barriers or signs, a continuous white line should be enough.
    yes i agree with a single continious white line, but it's ireland we are talking about here, if you put a big red button on the top of grafton street with a sign saying do not push, the button will be pushed. ditto for this line as people are in the habit of rejoining the N11 from the garage. A barrier is the only way to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

The Shell garage southbound is a recipe for a MAJOR pile-up sometime

AMIIAM wrote: »
    The Shell garage southbound is a recipe for a MAJOR pile-up sometime

Not so sure about that. If people keep to the speed limit then it is highly unlikely. Major pile ups happen on motorways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Kilmac section of the N11 is fundamentally badly designed. There should be continuous, seperated slip-roads on boths sides through the village to handle the local traffic - they could then raise the limit on the main carriageways to 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

loyatemu wrote: »
    the Kilmac section of the N11 is fundamentally badly designed. There should be continuous, seperated slip-roads on boths sides through the village to handle the local traffic - they could then raise the limit on the main carriageways to 80.

I think only the Southbound lane is a problem, the Northbound one has a decent slip road for both exiting and entering. Yet, of course, that's where the speed guns are.
    ian_m wrote:
    Major pile ups happen on motorways.

Are you sure about that? I know that motorway fatalities make up only a very small percentage, and I think pile ups are rare enough also.

eoin_s wrote: »
    I think only the Southbound lane is a problem, the Northbound one has a decent slip road for both exiting and entering. Yet, of course, that's where the speed guns are.
    Yes, I've always wondered what the problem is with the northbound section that warrants the 60km/h limit. The slip road exiting from that side is plenty long enough, although that doesn't stop people exiting the garage from suddenly stopping dead as if they were almost surprised to see a road there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

You wanna try cycling past the Shell garage....

One day cycling northbound past the Esso I was going to turn left past Avoca towards Kilcroney. When I signalled left at the hatched markings by pure chance I glanced over my left shoulder which was then nearly removed by a truck from a well known local refuse collection firm that had crossed the hatch markings and into my path. In fairness when I got home and calmed down I rang to complain. Call was returned by Transport Manager who then spoke to driver of truck (which happened to be owner/driver) and had his driving reassessed before he was given any more work by said company.
    Can't argue with that feedback!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Evenescent

'Tis just bizarre.

Surely hundreds of people could be stopped along there daily, including me.

everyone just tears on through - never seems to be a bother

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dazmetron

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, I've always wondered what the problem is with the northbound section that warrants the 60km/h limit. The slip road exiting from that side is plenty long enough, although that doesn't stop people exiting the garage from suddenly stopping dead as if they were almost surprised to see a road there :)

There is a stop sign just past the Esso garage as the road splits to form the bus stop and the slip lane. Why the sign is there I don't know, you are going out into a dedicated slip land and there is no white line across the road so the sign is ignored by everyone (including the Gardai) except tourists and people who don't use the road regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

There are draft proposals for that section of road....by the looks of it they are going to increase the north bound section to 80km/h and keep the south bound to 60km/h

You can see the proposal here

All other Wicklow draft proposals are on the wicklow.ie website here

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

astrofluff wrote: »
    There are draft proposals for that section of road....by the looks of it they are going to increase the north bound section to 80km/h and keep the south bound to 60km/h

That actually makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

yeah seem to fly through, but the speed limit is a joke, 60kph. Heres a camera..

http://michaelr.camstreams.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

yeah seem to fly through, but the speed limit is a joke, 60kph. Heres a camera..

http://michaelr.camstreams.com/

Where is that camera? I have driven up that road a million times and cant see the fecker & very rarely see garda presence too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement