Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing exhaust

Options
  • 13-06-2008 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guy, I recently got a 1998 6th gen celica with a vvti beams engine.
    The car came with a stupidly loud exhaust. I'm not into modifying, so was wondering would it be expensive to change the exhaust to something more sensible(I'm mortified driving through estates at night). and is there any disadvantages to changing it? Like performance etc..

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

It could just be a backbox. which you could replace.

But it may the the propriate exhaust system for that engine.

(more than likely Im wrong so I'd say wait for someone with more exp.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

tuxy wrote: »
    The car came with a stupidly loud exhaust. I'm not into modifying, so was wondering would it be expensive to change the exhaust to something more sensible(I'm mortified driving through estates at night). and is there any disadvantages to changing it? Like performance etc..

I'd say it could be just a back box simple and cheap enough to replace it could however be a full system with a decat also this would be expensive, is the back box a lrge bore one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thanks guys, here it is.

exhaust.jpg
    exhaust2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

4'5 wal with a 3'5 pipe.... could downgrade to something better.... see thats the problem , all the sesors get killed by silly backboxes mainly on turbo cars as it confuses the cars computer but anyways...

yes there are solutions to issues like this , a standard back box is 80-110 quid, performance one ( silent ) is a fair bit more.

• Advertisement

Yeh Tuxy its a kakimoto exhaust, which would be loud, cant tell from your pics whether its just a backbox or a full system though, kakimoto is a decent make and could suggest its full system.

Not sure what S.I.R means but most cars ecu's can be reset and will adapt to the new exhaust system as they are driven after the reset, no sensors should "get killed"

Did you buy the car off someone who would be involved in an owners club?

any chance you could get some pics of the whole exhaust under the car all the way up to and including the cat?

draffodx wrote: »

Did you buy the car off someone who would be involved in an owners club?
    I got it from a dealer.

Is there any performance gains to a system like this?

I actually like the sound of it at about 3k rpm in fifth gear when driving on a national road. But don't want the attention while driving around town.

it seems to have an induction kit also(don't know if that is relevant)
    celica7.JPG

and under the car
    celica6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

that looks like a full exhaust system and take off the hks filter they are crap they let way to much in and filter hardly anythin

is it a jap import?? if so then its definately a full system and will be expensive to replace but the system you have will be worth a bit if you were to sell it on.

you will have slight bhp gains probably no more than 5 - 7 bhp, but theres probably a more silenced system that will give you similiar gains.

and as guil07 says remove the hks filter as soon as you can as it will be sucking in hot air from the engine bay and actually losing you power

Ya, jap import.
    Should I replace the hks with a different induction kit?

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

Ya, jap import.
    Should I replace the hks with a different induction kit?

The filter will increase your fuel consumption as well, try and source a stock filter, and a stock system should not be hard to find in scrapyards maybe.

yeh as gaz d says get a stock filter system, it should be a closed box type with the filter inside, much better for torque and performance and full consumtion and will be less noisy also.

I'd consider joining a owners club with a forum, you will find out loads about the car there including quieter exhaust systems and it will be easy to source parts you may need, you may even get someone willing to swap there standard exhaust system with yours and pay you some on top

You guys were right about that filter. I had to get the throttle body cleaned as it was ideling very rough. Will get it changed for a stock one asap.

Advertisement