Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Putting 2 cars on my insurance policy

Options
  • 13-06-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

On my current policy I have a fairly old golf that is covered for 3rd party fire and theft. I also am covered to drive other cars 3rd party only.

My sister is heading abroad for 2 months and I would like to use her car (bmw) while she is away. she has comprehensive cover for her car.

What is the best option for me?

1) Is it to put the bmw on my policy as my main car and have the golf as the 2nd car. I want to leave the golf on my policy in case I need to use it or if I want to add someone else to the policy so that they can drive it.

2) Get my sister to put my name down on her policy for the bmw and leave my own policy as is which covers the golf

3) Change car on my policy from the golf to bmw and transfer it back to the golf if I ever need to use it

hope it's not too confusing. Any info would be greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

2) Get my sister to put my name down on her policy for the bmw and leave my own policy as is which covers the golf

Otherwise you would need to upgrade your insurance to comp. Also means if anything were to happen, hope it doesn't, the cover is as she wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Is it to put the bmw on my policy as my main car and have the golf as the 2nd car. I want to leave the golf on my policy in case I need to use it or if I want to add someone else to the policy so that they can drive it.

Is it still possible to do this, I know my father had two cars insured on one policy, one full comp. the other TPFT, but that was years ago and I thought with the insurance getting like Ryanair and charging for every little extra these days that this option no longer available.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Otherwise you would need to upgrade your insurance to comp. Also means if anything were to happen, hope it doesn't, the cover is as she wanted.

Went with option 2 allright. The bonus was it was free for her to add me as a named driver. Quinn direct are good for something :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you had changed your policy to the BMW, you couldn't have driven the Golf under the 'driving other cars' clause, as this clause only covers cars not owned by you (among other limitations).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

esel wrote: »
    If you had changed your policy to the BMW, you couldn't have driven the Golf under the 'driving other cars' clause, as this clause only covers cars not owned by you (among other limitations).

and it doesn't give you cover on cars owned by your spouse/partner. Well AXA don't anyhow .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

You can't have 2 cars on the same private insurance policy anyway AFAIK.

Advertisement