Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we leave the EU?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭

Now that the Irish people had the courage to reject the Treaty should we leave the EU and become an Independent country again?
    I think it is. Taking orders from other countrys is not something any patriot should support.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

in before the lock

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Now that the Irish people had the courage to reject the Treaty should we leave the EU and become an Independent country again?
    I think it is. Taking orders from other countrys is not someone any patriot should support.

If we do we should have to pay all those grants back.

1. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    2. No.
    3. See 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

marco_polo wrote: »
    The money raped from our fishing industry should cover it.

Kev: It was a vote against the treaty, not Europe. People can still be pro-Europe and anti-treaty, if you can't understand that then you should keep quiet tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

of course we shouldn't leave Europe, this was not an anti-Europe vote. People voted no because they didn't know what they were voting yes for. The yes campaign gave no explanations as to what would happen and this lack of information made people vote no. I'm confident the Irish people would not vote to leave Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Did the French and Dutch leave after they rejected the constitution :rolleyes:

gandalf wrote: »
    Did the French and Dutch leave after they rejected the constitution :rolleyes:
    Exactly.

I have to say though, this "omgz it's the end of the world" reaction is quite comical though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Rb wrote: »
    Remember that time I asked for a source for that and you refused? I think it was around 10 minutes ago, but you're back at it already.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Kev: It was a vote against the treaty, not Europe. People can still be pro-Europe and anti-treaty, if you can't understand that then you should keep quiet tbh.

So they have fished hundreds of billions of euros have they :rolleyes:. The OP asked the question sa to whether or not we should leave, not me. I am saying if were independent then we would pay our own way.

Do you tell everyone who has a different opinion to you to keep quiet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We can't leave.

Had the Lisbon referendum been passed then Ireland could have, at the moment there is no mechanism to allow it but Lisbon made provision for leaving.

Ironing or what?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

This is one of the worst suggestions I have ever heard.

Do you know how many people would be made unemployed if we left the EU?

RB do you really think the fishing industry would been able to replace the thousnads of jobs lost if the US multinationals pulled out, due to us leaving the EU?

You really dont have a clue, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

marco_polo wrote: »

Absolutely, we would have to, and to lose the euro too. We would suddenly be in a position of having to reinforce borders to all EU countries (including the UK), no longer have free access to European markets for our goods or business, and countless EU citizens would need to apply for citizenship, visas or need to leave.

There would no longer be financial support for the Irish economy, and we would once again be a very small, isolated country out in the cold in a world which doesn't have an awful of time for isolationist loners.

The world isn't very stable right now and small, powerless countries like Ireland need to know who their friends are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

mike65 wrote: »
    We can't leave.

Had the Lisbon referendum been passed then Ireland could have, at the moment there is no mechanism to allow it but Lisbon made provision for leaving.

Ironing or what?

Mike.
    Now that's comedy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Exactly.

I have to say though, this "omgz it's the end of the world" reaction is quite comical though:)

Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Exactly.

absolutely.
    almost worth voting no to see the overreaction.Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

We might lose a bit of money but we could be glad to know that we are running our own country. We can be a good well off country on our own. Dont believe the lies that we cant survive unless there is some suger daddy like the EU leaning over us.

BMH wrote: »
    Remember that time I asked for a source for that and you refused? I think it was around 10 minutes ago, but you're back at it already.
    Hit search and find it yourself. It's been mentioned enough over the past few weeks that had you been paying attention you would have seen it. I don't need to go googling to link an article for you tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We don't need to leave the European Union if they respect democracy and the rights of ALL NATIONS.

If they do not, and recent reports indicate they want to press ahead anyway which shows how they view democracy, then perhaps withdrawal is an option that should be left on the table imo.

I do not wish to be part of an entity that does not respect my democratic values. The Treaty itself declared that they believed in such values:
    Every citizen shall have the right to participate in the democratic life of the Union. Decisions shall be taken as openly and as closely as possible to the citizen.

Now are they true to their word or will they press ahead despite the concerns of EU citrizens? We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

mike65 wrote: »
    We can't leave.

Ironing or what?

Mike.

Ha, that's brilliant.

We might lose a bit of money but we could be glad to know that we are running our own country. We can be a good well off country on our own. Dont believe the lies that we cant survive unless there is some suger daddy like the EU leaning over us.

A bit of money? Do you know how many people are employed in this country by US multinationals, just so they can export in the EU markets?

How are we not running our own country?

Look at the state of this country before it joined the EU and it should give you an accurate picture of what it would be like if we left

• Advertisement

eoin2nc wrote: »
    RB do you really think the fishing industry would been able to replace the thousnads of jobs lost if the US multinationals pulled out, due to us leaving the EU?

You really dont have a clue, do you?

We won't be leaving the EU so what does it matter?

Also lol at you and your silly little attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I think it is. Taking orders from other countrys is not something any patriot should support.

What motivates you man?

Hit search and find it yourself. It's been mentioned enough over the past few weeks that had you been paying attention you would have seen it. I don't need to go googling to link an article for you tbh.

So the fishing indutry would be able to employ everyone in Microsoft,Dell,Intel,Whyeth ect who wolud lose their jobs?

70% of this country is employed in the services sector, which is totally dependent on the EU.

Do you know anything about your own economy?

Well thats just my 'silly atitude' to the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

We should leave the EU in my opinion. But not because I don't like the EU, because I don't think we are of any benefit to the EU. We are and always have been a country of takers, yet we complain about giving a little back. Just think back to hen more countries joined the EU. Irish people complained that we would have to give grants to those countries.

We are of no benefit and we are holding back Europe. Why don't we just throw in the towel and pay them all the money back and see if we can stay afloat on our own.

"might lose a bit of money" is a bit of an understatement. More than a few people like to overlook that Ireland's temporary prosperity owes more than a little to our friends over on the continent. They subsidised it. They helped to channel it in the right directions so that Ireland became a good place in which to do business. Now, what you're suggesting is that if Ireland is outside the EU, no longer has access to those markets, that foreign investment has a reason to stay here and not go to Eastern European countries, which are now far more competitive than Ireland. The competitive advantage that Ireland used to have, of a very cheap, well-educated workforce, is gone.

You're clearly not paying a mortgage, because if you were then like many people here you would fear a wage drop that put you in a position of earning less than half your outgoings, and that's what would happen if Ireland left Europe. And it would happen within weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

Yes, I think we should leave the EU. Maybe not straight-away, but as a long-term goal I would like to see us taking steps to becoming an independent country again.

In the short-term we should consider transferring our membership from the EU to the EFTA.

mike65 wrote:
    We can't leave.

What do you mean by that? Why can't we leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im sorry but i have to ask this. Are you even old enough to vote?
    Because the arguments you are coming out with sound like something a 12 year old would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

VinLieger wrote: »
    Because the arguments you are coming out with sound like something a 12 year old would say.

Par for the course on the "No" side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

O'Morris wrote: »
    Yes, I think we should leave the EU. Maybe not straight-away, but as a long-term goal I would like to see us taking steps to becoming an independent country again.

We were an "independant" Country for all of 50 years max. and they were pretty piss poor times.

We cannot survive on our own no matter how long we wait.

• Advertisement

eoin2nc wrote: »
    So the fishing indutry would be able to employ everyone in Microsoft,Dell,Intel,Whyeth ect who wolud lose their jobs?

70% of this country is employed in the services sector, which is totally dependent on the EU.

Do you know anything about your own economy?

No, you're wrong, uncontrolled over-fishing of rapidly diminishing stocks* is the way forward. And then after that we can try and go back to farming, and live off the land. Not in an efficient practical way like the EU we'd suddenly be competing with, or like Brazil with farms the size of Irish provinces, but with bits of land left over from after corrupt, mismanaged planning processes.

Hell, we'd be great on our own! I can't wait!

*Our weak, penniless government would of course pay for the fuel.

Advertisement