Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW2 Trivia

Options
  • 13-06-2008 2:51pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What was the only American ship named after a foreign city?

Answer shortly..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

American ship named after a foreign city?.

USS Canberra.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Morlar wrote: »
    USS Canberra.

Damn Google!

I read it the other day and I was intrigued.
    Right I'm off to find a much harder question :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Meantime, I'll fill in for you:

What's the connection between pic in my sig to Stalin?

ojewriej wrote: »
    Meantime, I'll fill in for you:

What's the connection between pic in my sig to Stalin?

Sadly enough I actually had heard this one before (but couldnt remember the exact detail)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here

There are many urban legends attached to the Kilroy graffiti. One states that Adolf Hitler believed that Kilroy was some kind of American super spy because the graffiti kept turning up in secure Nazi installations, presumably having been actually brought on captured Allied military equipment. Another states that Stalin was the first to enter an outhouse especially built for the leaders at the Potsdam conference. Upon exiting, Stalin asked an aide: "Who is this Kilroy?" Another legend states that a German officer, having seen frequent "Kilroys" posted in different cities, told all of his men that if they happened to come across a "Kilroy" he wanted to question him personally. Another one states the entire gag was started by a soldier in the Army who was sick of the Air Force[dubious – discuss] bragging that they were always the first on the scene; the little man and phrase then began appearing in ludicrous places to indicate that someone had, in fact, arrived prior to the Air Force.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Ok, i was trying to think of some WWII trivia that wouldn't be too easy to find on the net and thought of this:

During WWII the Free State gave a concession to RAF coastal command which helped them fight the U-boat war, what was it?

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    Ok, i was trying to think of some WWII trivia that wouldn't be too easy to find on the net and thought of this:

During WWII the Free State gave a concession to RAF coastal command which helped them fight the U-boat war, what was it?

Confiscating German radios and allowing allied pilots to slip home was a benefit in the war though I dont think thats what your referring to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

delly wrote: »

Allowed them to fly over Donegal?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Arabel wrote: »
    Allowed them to fly over Donegal?

Bingo!!

a)
    Which town did the germans force to surrender by sending the inhabitants the message that they had to surrender or be obliterated, despite the fact that at that time the german unit in question having no artillery, armour or air support.

The bluff worked - the germans captured the town intact and lost/killed no men in the process.

b)
    Who alledgedly said to Adolf Hitler;

'That's your reward for all that you (we) have done in these past five years!? I'd rather be shot than obey that order!'

on being told to remove the cuff titles from the men of his unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

a)
    Which town did the germans force to surrender by sending the inhabitants the message that they had to surrender or be obliterated, despite the fact that at that time the german unit in question having no artillery, armour or air support.

The bluff worked - the germans captured the town intact and lost/killed no men in the process.
    Was it Zwolle, in Holland. LSSAH led by Kurt 'Panzer' Meyer. If it wasent Zwolle it was some other city in their path that first week of the campaign. I think one man was shot in the knee though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

a)

France :D

Sorry, too big. Paris did go retty much that way though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Besides Dublin where else in the republic was hit by the Luftwaffe?

bonus points if anyone can tell me the actual building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Campile?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

b)
    Who alledgedly said to Adolf Hitler;

'That's your reward for all that you (we) have done in these past five years!? I'd rather be shot than obey that order!'

on being told to remove the cuff titles from the men of his unit.

It was Sepp Dietrich, in March 1945 after the failure of the IV Army to relieve Budapest where the XI SS Corps which included Florian Geyer Division and the 22nd Freiwilligen Kavallerie Division had been cut off. These divisions made their own attempt to break out and only 785 men out of an original 50'000 survived.

Hitler's Samuri, St Edmundsbury Press 1986, p 106 ;)
    Besides Dublin where else in the republic was hit by the Luftwaffe?

bonus points if anyone can tell me the actual building

The Creamery in Campile Co. Wexford, 3 women were killed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Wiki really does rule:)

Right Guys, here are a few gems ;)

1) The Japanese code name for the attack on Pearl Harbour was called what ?

2 Which American Aircraft was known as the 'Flying Prostitute ? and Why ?

3) What as Churchill's British Code Name ?

4) Which German Luitenant General was called 'Smasher Karl' ?

5) What were the names of Hitler's and Himmer's private Trains ?

6) How many rooms were there in the Berlin Bunker ? (including lounges in hallways, and storage areas)

7) Name any 2 of the 5 Luftwaffe pilots who scored more than 250 kills ?

8) Which neutral country had an official 2 day mourning period after the death of Hitler ?

9) Which Allied Aircraft is credited with scoring the first 'kill' against a German Aircraft ?

10) Which was the first German city to suffer a bombing raid in WW2 ?

marcsignal wrote: »
    Right Guys, here are a few gems ;)

I can attempt few without wiki:

Tora?

B26 - it had small wings, i.e. "no means of support" or something like that

Karl Weidling

8) Which neutral country had an official 2 day mourning period after the death of Hitler ?

Ireland?

[/QUOTE]

I can attempt few without wiki:

B26 - it had small wings, i.e. "no means of support" or something like that

Karl Weidling

Bingo ! Spot on, on Both counts ! :)

Well done ojewriej ;) I have loads more to post, but I'm trying to deliberately post stuff that'll be hard to find on wiki, just to seperate the men from the boys :D

The Creamery in Campile Co. Wexford, 3 women were killed
    Almost completley right, the building is called 'Shelbourne Co Op' it was the creamery and canteen that was bombed.

WIKI seems to suggest that Harland and Wolfe were going to build a shipyard near Campile, this is most likely bollox cos the only place near Campile that would be feasible for this is the Great Island, the site of the Barrow bridge and Great Island Power station (obviously the powerstation wasnt there til the 60's)

6) How many rooms were there in the Berlin Bunker ? (including lounges in hallways, and storage areas)
    42??????? :D

• Advertisement

Almost completley right, the building is called 'Shelbourne Co Op' it was the creamery and canteen that was bombed.

I just remember hearing about it on that 'Seven Ages' series when they covered the Emergency, great episode :)
    42??????? :D

Bummer, you were 10 out Mahatma coat :(

(Unless Adolf had a huge Amphetemine stash he was keeping secret :D)

Right Guys, here are the Answers

Operation Z

B26 Martin Marauder because it had 'No visible means of Support' also called the 'Widow Maker' because it was thought to be unsafe

3) What as Churchill's British Code Name ?
    Colonel Warden

General Weidling

5) What were the names of Hitler's and Himmer's private Trains ?
    Amerika and Steiermark, respectively

7) Name any 2 of the 5 Luftwaffe pilots who scored more than 250 kills ?

Eric Harrtmann 352 (Top Ace of WW2)
    Gerhard Barkhorn 301
    Gunter Rall 275
    Otto Kittel 267
    Walter Nowotny 255

Portugal, where flags were flown at half mast on April 30th and May1st

9) Which Allied Aircraft is credited with scoring the first 'kill' against a German Aircraft ?
    An american Made Lockheed A-29 Hudson serving with the British Costal Command.

10) Which was the first German city to suffer a bombing raid in WW2 ?
    Brunsbuttelkoog on Sept 4th 1939 by the RAF

ojewriej got 2 right without using wiki, and wins a sticky bun :D

I'll post another 10 questions later :)

ojewriej got 2 right without using wiki, and wins a sticky bun :D

Yay!

To keep the ball rolling:

This one won't be so easy to check on wiki.

What important event is pictured below?

StopCheating.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It looks very much like the signing of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact.:cool:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It looks very much like the signing of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact.:cool:

Blue_Peter_Badge.gif

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thanks, I'm overwhelmed with emotion.:p

Right Guys, Here's the next 10

1) Which American Unit was called 'The Rag Tag Circus' ?

2) What name and rank did the British give to the body deposited off the Spanish coast, with fake plans for the invasion of Sicily,
    in the hope the Axis would think it was the body of a dead secret courier ?

3) What did Rommel call the 'Devils Gardens' ?

4) What was the Red Plan the French underground was to execute, on hearing the broadcasted coded message 'The Dice are on the Table' ?

5) Which German aircraft was nicknamed 'The Flaming Coffin' by its own crews ? (There's a clue on this forum already)

6) Which British aircraft did German U-Boat crews nickname 'Stachelschwein' (Porcupine) ?

7) Who said "The British, The Jewish and the Roosevelt Administration, are the 3 most important groups pushing this country towards war" ?

8) What was the last message sent by Hitler from the Berlin Bunker before he committed suicide ?

9) Who said "There are only 2 rules of war, Never invade Russia, Never invade China" ?

10) What was unusual about the Italian Cruiser 'Gorizia' and the German Crusier 'Koenigsberg' in WW2 ?

I'll fire out the answers in a coupla days or so ;)

Good Luck :)

Again, I can only attempt few:

5) Which German aircraft was nicknamed 'The Flaming Coffin' by its own crews ? (There's a clue on this forum already)

One of the big Heinkels, 177 or 277 I think

6) Which British aircraft did German U-Boat crews nickname 'Stachelschwein' (Porcupine) ?

That I know - Short Sunderland flying boat. Awesome plane, great firepower, radar, the works.

7) Who said "The British, The Jewish and the Roosevelt Administration, are the 3 most important groups pushing this country towards war" ?

No clue but I'd venture a guess that it was some high profile anti-semitic American. Walt Disney;-) ?

8) What was the last message sent by Hitler from the Berlin Bunker before he committed suicide ?

Don't remember exact worlds, bot something to the effect "Fcuk jews and communists", sent to Benito iirc. I wrote about this on my Leaving Cert paper.

9) Who said "There are only 2 rules of war, Never invade Russia, Never invade China" ?
    I don't know, but when someone asks who said some snappy bon mot, the answer is usually G. B. Shaw, Oscar Wilde or Churchil. So I'm guessing Churchill.

2) What name and rank did the British give to the body deposited off the Spanish coast, with fake plans for the invasion of Sicily,
    in the hope the Axis would think it was the body of a dead secret courier ?

This one is wrecking my head. I re-read Ambrose's D-Day not long ago, and it was there. It might come back to me later.

Again, I can only attempt few:

One of the big Heinkels, 177 or 277 I think

That I know - Short Sunderland flying boat. Awesome plane, great firepower, radar, the works.

Right on Both Counts again ojewriej ;) you're getting warm on a few of the others too :D

Right Guys, Here's the next 10

Henry Ford or Charles Lindbergh?

• Advertisement

Henry Ford or Charles Lindbergh?

now you're scorching hot;), so which one ? :D

Advertisement