Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW2 Trivia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

marcsignal wrote: »
    now you're scorching hot;), so which one ? :D

If I'd have to venture a guess id say Lindbergh, he was more "political" type i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

ojewriej wrote: »
    If I'd have to venture a guess id say Lindbergh, he was more "political" type i think

BINGO !! :D Well done !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Was it Zwolle, in Holland. LSSAH led by Kurt 'Panzer' Meyer. If it wasent Zwolle it was some other city in their path that first week of the campaign. I think one man was shot in the knee though.
    Am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Originally Posted by motherfunker View Post
    Was it Zwolle, in Holland. LSSAH led by Kurt 'Panzer' Meyer. If it wasent Zwolle it was some other city in their path that first week of the campaign. I think one man was shot in the knee though.

Am I right?

Here is a quote from Meyers book :

http://books.google.ie/books?id=2_ns-h6dJQYC&printsec=frontcover&dq

"We have to take advantage of the element of surprise. Without a moment's hesitation I jump into a Dutch car and chase into Zwolle with Obersturmführer Wünsche and Grenadier Seelenwinter. Oberscharführer Erich accompanies us on a Dutch motorcycle. I intend to take the town commander unawares and make him agree to cease-fire. Dutch soldiers are standing rigidly on the street as we shout at them and point toward the tree barricade. They throw up their weapons and go towards the barrier. The deeper we go into the city, the more uncomfortable I feel about this 'ride'. I would like to turn back, but it is to late, we have to play this game out to its end. The sound of shooting at the bunkers hase even now reached the town centre. Hubby and wife, out enjoying the beautiful May day, are scattering like frightened hens threatened by a goshawk's shadow. Despite the extremely uncomfortable situation, we have to laugh at the Dutch reaction. An imposing civic building in the city centre and the fact that a number of uniformed people are coming and going makes us try our luck there and we drive right into the middle of the crowd. Amidst the squealing brakes the car seems about to overturn. In a split-second we point our weapons at bewildered men in uniform. The Dutch stand transfixed. A respectable elderly gentleman in civilian clothes introduces himself as 'the Queens's representative' and tells us that he will order the Dutch troops in Zwolle to cease resistance. He keeps his promise Not another shot is fired in Zwolle. With several captive officers we hurry back to the tree barricade. Zwolle is ours but, unfortunately, we could not prevent the destruction of the great bridges over the Ijssel. Both bridges had been blown up in the early hours of the morning. I nearly have a stroke when I reach the dismantled barrier - my men and some Dutch youths are amusing themselves on a carousel with hardly anyone on guard."

I cant find the link to where it confirms they had no artillery, air support etc - so I will need to do some digging at home – (I have a feeling it was mentioned on one of a bunch of history channel docu’s I have on divx).

The other one was of course Dietrich - both men winners of the 'Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords' (Dietrichs with diamonds).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'll have a stab at these

What was the Operational name for the final Solution? - Operation Reinhard

What was the name given to those who were responsible for the cleanup after jews were gassed? - The Sonderkommando

What Company supplied Zyklon B to the Wehrmacht? - Was it 'IG Farben' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

2/3
    Tesch & Stabenow produced the gas. Dunno why but i read that in a book years ago and it just stuck with me.

Hmmm that's interesting. I worked in Rentokil in Terenure years ago, and I always remember coming across a few old tins of pestecide called 'Zyklon' in the stores there, whether it was Zyklon-B exactly, I cant remember, but they looked exactly like the tins they used in the Concentration Camps.

I figure if it was initially just an industrial pestecide, they would have continued to sell it after the war for that purpose.
    It was one eerie thing to come across on a monday morning with a hangover I can tell you :eek:

2/3
    Tesch & Stabenow produced the gas. Dunno why but i read that in a book years ago and it just stuck with me.

I actually read up a little bit about it a while ago, for another thread on this forum.

Tesch and Stabenow were distrubutors only i think.

IG Farben gets the "credit" for production usually, but they actually only held shares in the company that produced it, or part of it. It was all really complicated actually, lots of companies produced different ingredients etc. I think it was done this way on purpose, to spread the responsibility. All these companies were tied to Nazis very closely, shared the management etc.

There is a very good website about IG Farben - http://www.profit-over-life.org/, all the ducuments from IG Farbens' Nuremburg trial are there.

I figure if it was initially just an industrial pestecide, they would have continued to sell it after the war for that purpose.
    It was one eerie thing to come across on a monday morning with a hangover I can tell you :eek:

It's still being produced in Czech Republic, under different name though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'll have a stab at these

What was the Operational name for the final Solution? - Operation Reinhard

What was the name given to those who were responsible for the cleanup after jews were gassed? - The Sonderkommando

What Company supplied Zyklon B to the Wehrmacht? - Was it 'IG Farben' ?

Bugger too slow, I knew the answers to these tho, :D

My Bosses name is Reinhardt

I've been ribbin him about it for ages

1) Which American Unit was called 'The Rag Tag Circus' ?

US 83rd Infantry Div, because they used an array of Civilian and enemy vehicles.

2) What name and rank did the British give to the body deposited off the Spanish coast, with fake plans for the invasion of Sicily,
    in the hope the Axis would think it was the body of a dead secret courier ?

Major Martin

3) What did Rommel call the 'Devils Gardens' ?

The extensive minefields at El Alamein

4) What was the Red Plan the French underground was to execute, on hearing the broadcasted coded message 'The Dice are on the Table' ?

The cutting of all Phone and Communication lines just in advance of D-Day

5) Which German aircraft was nicknamed 'The Flaming Coffin' by its own crews ? (There's a clue on this forum already)

Heinkel He 177 (&277)

6) Which British aircraft did German U-Boat crews nickname 'Stachelschwein' (Porcupine) ?

Short Sutherland Flying Boat

7) Who said "The British, The Jewish and the Roosevelt Administration, are the 3 most important groups pushing this country towards war" ?

American Aviator Charles Lindbergh in Iowa on Sept 12th 1941. He later served with distinction as a US pilot.

8) What was the last message sent by Hitler from the Berlin Bunker before he committed suicide ?

"Where is Wenck? Where is Steiner?" (2 Generals Defending the City) The message was transmitted by "Gerda Niedieck" a Teletype Operator.

9) Who said "There are only 2 rules of war, Never invade Russia, Never invade China" ?

Bernard Law Montgommery

10) What was unusual about the Italian Cruiser 'Gorizia' and the German Crusier 'Koenigsberg' in WW2 ?

They were both sunk twice.
    'Gorizia' was scuttled off Spain on Sept 8th 1943, salvaged, and then sunk again in 1944 by the Allies.
    'Koenigsberg' was sunk on April 10 1940, salvaged, and sunk again in September 1944

;)

ojewriej scores 3 and wins the Sticky Bun again :D

Ok then, I'll throw few as well

1 What was the direct reason for Hitler's decision to move into Rhineland in 1936?

2 What is this:

nono.jpg

3 And what's the name of this weapon:

nocheating.jpg

Ok then, I'll throw few as well

1 What was the direct reason for Hitler's decision to move into Rhineland in 1936?

2 What is this:

3 And what's the name of this weapon:

French - Russian treaty + persistent french provocations /invasions.
    2 star of ....
    3 Stalins Pipes/ Stalins Organs ?

3 - Katusha - Russian heavy artilery

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

3. Studebaker US6 w/ BM-13

800px-BM-13_RB2.jpg

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

What little cove on the south coast was visited, on a number of occasions by German U-boat crews to stop for a drink?

KaG1888 wrote: »
    Debatable

Katyusha

While the eternal struggle on that one rages on . . . heres a few more :

1) Which vessel sank in 1945 with an estimated 9,400 people lost & who sank it ?

2) Who said 'I go the way that Providence dictates with the assurance of a sleepwalker.'

3) Which famous 1930's German media figure was photographed in Poland during the invasion wearing a military uniform and pistol?

4) Where\when did Goebbels give his famous 'Wollt Ihr den totalen Krieg?' speech ?

5) Which German medals became known as ;

a) 'hitlers fried egg'
    b) 'Frozen meat medal' ?

6) Which ww2 decorated German did the pianist/composer Rachmaninov regularly attend dinner parties with in the years before the war (through a shared acquantaince) ?

7) Who conducted Beethoven's Ninth Symphony for Hitlers birthday celebrations in April 1942 & ? Whose hand did he (the conductor) shake before alledgedly turning around and wiping it clean with a handkerchief ?

Morlar wrote: »
    French - Russian treaty + persistent french provocations /invasions.?

I was looking for a little more detailed answer. There was a meeting few months before this invasion...
    3 Stalins Pipes/ Stalins Organs ?

Yeah, that's what they were called by the soldiers
    KaG1888 wrote: »
    3 - Katusha - Russian heavy artilery

Correct, although manic moran has a point. Katyusha is actually a Soviet version of a Studebaker.

But the ones on the pic are Katyushas
    3. Studebaker US6 w/ BM-13

Very good, extra point for you.

• Advertisement

1) Which vessel sank in 1945 with an estimated 9,400 people lost & who sank it ?

Wilhelm Gustav, sank by a soviet submarine on Baltic. Most dead in a sibgle see incident in history, if I remember correctly.

3) Which famous 1930's German media figure was photographed in Poland during the invasion wearing a military uniform and pistol?

Leni Riefen- something? Just guessing, she is the only famous media figure from the 30's I know

5) Which German medals became known as ;

a) 'hitlers fried egg'
    German Cross

b) 'Frozen meat medal' ?

Eastern Front Campaign Medal

Wilhelm Gustav, sank by a soviet submarine on Baltic. Most dead in a sibgle see incident in history, if I remember correctly.

Yes - that one was probably easy.
    Leni Riefen- something? Just guessing, she is the only famous media figure from the 30's I know

Leni Riefenstahl actress (& director of Triumph of the will etc also maker of wildlife films after the war).
    a) 'hitlers fried egg'
    German Cross

b) 'Frozen meat medal' ?

Eastern Front Campaign Medal

Correct-amundo.

Any takers on the rest :

2) Who said 'I go the way that Providence dictates with the assurance of a sleepwalker.'

4) Where\when did Goebbels give his famous 'Wollt Ihr den totalen Krieg?' speech ?

6) Which ww2 decorated German did the pianist/composer Rachmaninov regularly attend dinner parties with in the years before the war (through a shared acquantaince) ?

7) Who conducted Beethoven's Ninth Symphony for Hitlers birthday celebrations in April 1942 & ? Whose hand did he (the conductor) shake before alledgedly turning around and wiping it clean with a handkerchief ?

*Also the medal one from - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56360916&postcount=44 is still not known.

Correct, although manic moran has a point. Katyusha is actually a Soviet version of a Studebaker.

But the ones on the pic are Katyushas

Indeed it is, for once the Soviet's version was better then the Reich's model. Comparing to the other similarities that alot of their other models throughout their war factory roster had. EG - The Tiger was far superior to that of the Stalin(can't remember the actual model name but it was nicknamed the Stalin tank). These were both sides heaviest tanks that were in mass production (Protecting myself from people saying King Tiger as it wasn't in mass production, only a hand full :) )

In regards to that medal, it would hardly be the Soviet version of the medal of honor would it? Only the highest Soviet medals were a red star.

Bugger, I got in too late for the few I knew :o

1)What is this:

nono.jpg

Is that the 'Order of the Red Star'?

churchill, (late edit Hitler in 1936 :()

was it the 'circus krone' in Munich ? (it's still there)

Wilhelm Furtwängler ?

Bugger, I got in too late for the few I knew :o

I'll guess Churchill ?

Close but no cigar (literally!) - that one was Herr Hitler - (though I remember that quote differently to how it is online thesedays).

was it the 'circus krone' in Munich ? (it's still there)

Berlin sportshall (after stalingrad) 1943

Wilhelm Furtwängler ?

Yes - I cant see youtube in work but pretty sure excerpts are there showing party highfliers in the crowd alongside soldiers home injured with arms in slings & eyepatches and all.

Close but no cigar (literally!) - that one was Herr Hitler - (though I remember that quote differently to how it is online thesedays).

Bugger, i'd found it, but too slow with the edit :mad:
    What little cove on the south coast was visited, on a number of occasions by German U-boat crews to stop for a drink?

what's the answer to this Paddy Diver?? I'm Intrigued .... was it Kilmore Quay ?? or Fethard ?

what's the answer to this Paddy Diver?? I'm Intrigued .... was it Kilmore Quay ?? or Fethard ?

Or ventry ?

Next 10

1) The British had a Dive Bomber in WW2 that was noticably very similar to the German 'Stuka' in what '3' ways ?

2) Identify the 'All Female' Fighter Group in the Soviet Air Force in WW2.

3) What American Army Air Force officer did Herman Goering offer a $5'000 Reward for ?

4) Why was the WW2 US Ship 'Phoenix (CL-46), which was present at Pearl Harbour, in the news in 1982 ?

5) To what Concentration Camp did General Patton order the inhabitants of a nearby village be brought to,
    to view the conditions they claimed to know nothing about?

6) Who said 'I hope Vichy drives them back into the sea' when he was informed the Allied had invaded North Africa ?

7) Which branch of the German Armed Forces was known as the 'Nazi Service' because of the high numbers of party members in it's ranks ?

8) Name the first German city captured by US troops?

9) "Two eyes for an eye" Who's battle cry was this ?

10) Name the German Spy, who was on the run in Ireland during WW2, and is buried in the German Cemetery in Glencree ?

• Advertisement

10) Name the most well known German Spy, who was on the run in Ireland, and who is buried in the German Cemetery in Glencree ?

I will pick the easy one first ;

Hermann Görtz.

Advertisement