Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW2 Trivia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

jmayo wrote: »
    I know the MP38/MP40 can fire sten 9mm ammo so can the sten SMG fire German 9mm ammo ?

Also the Lanchester SMG?

And as far as I remember, both sides used Browning Hi-something pistol, which used 9mm ammo as well, would that qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ojewriej wrote: »
    Also the Lanchester SMG?

And as far as I remember, both sides used Browning Hi-something pistol, which used 9mm ammo as well, would that qualify?

That's a blooming MP28 just renamed.
    Forgot the Germans had the Browning FN plant in Belgium :mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Yeah the Sten is one, and the Browning Hi-Power another, both using 9mm.
    I'll take your word jmayo on the SOE pistol, would make sense they could fire German ammo.

The other gun I'm thinking of was 7.92mm, and mass produced. It wasn't developed in the UK, it was a design they bought, but didn't bother modifying to the standard .303in due to cost/technical issues. The logistical problem of it using different calibre ammo was solved by using it in a branch of the Army that had its own supply chain.

ojewriej, just checked on the Lanchester, have to say it was a new one on me, hadn't heard of it before. It wasn't the one I was thinking of, but it would certainly qualify.

elurhs wrote: »
    The other gun I'm thinking of was 7.92mm, and mass produced. It wasn't developed in the UK, it was a design they bought, but didn't bother modifying to the standard .303in due to cost/technical issues. The logistical problem of it using different calibre ammo was solved by using it in a branch of the Army that had its own supply chain.

Only one i can think of, based on a design they bought is Bren. But that's obviously not it. Was it some kind of a mounted weapon? Heavy MG or something like that? No name comes to my mind though

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Only one i can think of, based on a design they bought is Bren. But that's obviously not it. Was it some kind of a mounted weapon? Heavy MG or something like that? No name comes to my mind though

You're not too far out. It was the Besa machine gun, bought from the same company they got the Bren from. It was mounted as the machine gun on all British tanks, the Royal Armoured Corps having a separate supply line from the infantry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

just 2 quick ones for now :

1) The handwriting & voice of which ww2 figure can be seen/heard in outer space ?

2) Who was the first (non prisoner) German combatant to step onto English soil during ww2 ?

Morlar wrote: »
    just 2 quick ones for now :

1) The handwriting & voice of which ww2 figure can be seen/heard in outer space ?

Albert Einstein on Voyager ?
    Edit: after bit of research could it be Kurt Waldheim ?
    2) Who was the first (non prisoner) German combatant to step onto English soil during ww2 ?

Rudolf Hess landing in Scotland ?
    Or does this involve the Channel Islands by any chance or a British embassy?
    Sorry to be pedantic but do you mean UK/Britain or just England ?
    If England then it must be shot down pilot if England.

Albert Einstein on Voyager ?
    Edit: after bit of research could it be Kurt Waldheim ?

Rudolf Hess landing in Scotland ?
    Or does this involve the Channel Islands by any chance or a British embassy?
    Sorry to be pedantic but do you mean UK/Britain or just England ?
    If England then it must be shot down pilot if England.

Waldheim is correct & your right about the islands - I should have said British soil not english. ps Not shot down.

Here are a few more :

1) Beginning in WWI and continued into WWII on what was the 'We got mittens too' jibe based ?

2) Who said . . .

"We didnt wish to die and would kill and massacre as if to avenge ourselves in advance for what was about to happen. When we died it was with fury because we hadnt been able to exact enough retribution."

3) In the context of the war in the east what was the ;

'rats war' ?
    Red Orchestra ?
    red october tractor factory (ie why important) ?

4) Which country did the Spy ring code-named Lucy report to & where did they report from ?

Here are a few more :

1) Beginning in WWI and continued into WWII on what was the 'We got mittens too' jibe based ?

Got mit uns (got with us) on german belt buckles.

'rats war' ?
    Red Orchestra ?
    red october tractor factory (ie why important) ?

I'm not really sure if I get this question right - Red Orchestra was a german code name for Soviet spy network in Europe. ROTF was a scene of most ferocious fighting in Stalingrad, I'm not sure about rats war - something to do with combat in unerground canals?.

• Advertisement

Got mit uns (got with us) on german belt buckles.

I'm not really sure if I get this question right - Red Orchestra was a german code name for Soviet spy network in Europe. ROTF was a scene of most ferocious fighting in Stalingrad, I'm not sure about rats war - something to do with combat in unerground canals?.

Yep - knew they were too easy. The belt buckle one is correct, Red orchestra indeed was the spy network, ROTF is correct (but what I was looking for was about that the last transmission recieved by an encircled german unit) - also yes, acknowledged as scenes of some of the most intense close quarters fighting. The rat's war or 'Rat War' as google finds it referred to the house to house fighting in stalingrad which included cellars and sewers.

So the ones which are left are :

1) Who was the first (non prisoner) German combatant to step onto British soil during ww2

2) Who said . . .

"We didnt wish to die and would kill and massacre as if to avenge ourselves in advance for what was about to happen. When we died it was with fury because we hadnt been able to exact enough retribution."

3) Which country did the Spy ring code-named Lucy report to & where did they report from ?

Waldheim is correct & your right about the islands - I should have said British soil not english. ps Not shot down.

Ok is it the German recon pilot that landed on Guernsey and they surrendered to him.
    Must be the French influence.
    For some reason I thought i was a trick question and involved them taking an embassy somewhere :)

On Waldheim question I originally thought it was Einstein but when I checked he doesn't seem to be on the Voyager record, whereas the ex Austrian president/child deporting German officer is.

Ok is it the German recon pilot that landed on Guernsey and they surrendered to him.
    Must be the French influence.

It was Roman Gastager -
    http://www.hubhobbyshop.com/review173.htm
    Couldnt find a wiki page but thats the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Name the unit and commander of the only 2 Irish men known to serve with the Waffen SS during WW2.

Name the unit and commander of the only 2 Irish men known to serve with the Waffen SS during WW2.

Sepp Dietrichs good buddy Otto Skorzeny. SS Jager Battailon 502. Also under direct command of SS-Hautscharfuhrer Manns at one point or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Thought that was a bit too easy.

Interesting that they fostered the commando unit that got Mussolini out. As an fyi that book 'Hitlers Irishmen also has a pic of the unit in the courtyard of Bendlerstrasse the day after Stauffenberg was put to death there for his part in the attempt on Hitler.

Here are some more short ones :

a) According to Goebbels who was 'Isidor' ?

b) How many court cases did 'Isidor' bring against Goebbels ?

c) How were Goebbels and Victor Chaim Arlosoroff connected & how/where did Arlosoroff die ?

Interesting that they fostered the commando unit that got Mussolini out. As an fyi that book 'Hitlers Irishmen also has a pic of the unit in the courtyard of Bendlerstrasse the day after Stauffenberg was put to death there for his part in the attempt on Hitler.

Here are some more short ones :

a) According to Goebbels who was 'Isidor' ?

b) How many court cases did 'Isidor' bring against Goebbels ?

c) How were Goebbels and Victor Chaim Arlosoroff connected & how/where did Arlosoroff die ?

a. Dr. Bernhard Weiss - Deputy police chief of Berlin in 1920s

b. Weiss sued goebels 28 times for libel I think

c. Goebels was going out with Arlosoroff's girlfriend Magda who later married Goebbels ?
    He was killed in Tel Aviv in 1933 by Zionists.

And no I didn't use Wiki.

Here is one....
    What was the rumour surrounding Goebbels son Helmut ?

Correct on all three ! Apparently Magda - a peroxide blonde also had a liasion with herbert hoovers nephew and married to an elderly prussian while having an interest in his son alledgedly. Apparently Arlosoroff' fired a gun at her when he found out she was seeing the Naxi Gauleiter of Berlin.

I read somewhere that one of the times Goebbels was sued for libel it was for publishing a cartoon picture of Weiss's face on a donkey spreadeagled on the ice.

In court Goebbels said 'No thats not him' The judge said 'Of course thats him' - next day the headline in Goebbels paper said 'Judge confirms Weiss looks like a donkey'.
    Genius!

Here is one....
    What was the rumour surrounding Goebbels son Helmut ?

I think the rumour was that he was not Goebbels son - the rumour had it that he was Hitlers ?

• Advertisement

This one is a bit convoluted for a change ;

What is the connection between Frank Stringer (the Irishman who served in the Jager Battailon 502 of the Waffen SS)

and .......

The Arizona Patriots (an alledgedly anti-semitic anti federal govt/ pro weapons stockpiling group of people from the 70's).

Note there is no direct connection at all.

big hint;

Frank Stringers waffen SS unit was among those who took part in the Ardennes offensive dressed as american GI's.

This one is a bit convoluted for a change ;

What is the connection between Frank Stringer (the Irishman who served in the Jager Battailon 502 of the Waffen SS)

and .......

The Arizona Patriots (an alledgedly anti-semitic anti federal govt/ pro weapons stockpiling group of people from the 70's).

That's a tough one - it took some digging.

Would it be something to do with Arizona Patriots' leader Ty Harding starring in "Battle of the Bulge"?

Would it be something to do with Arizona Patriots' leader Ty Harding starring in "Battle of the Bulge"?

Bingo - Ty Hardin played a fictional character in the movie Battle of the Bulge' called Lt Schumacher.

This composite character was based on the activities of units like Frank Stringer's Jager Battailon 502 Waffen SS.

In later life the actor Ty Harding he led the 'Arizona Patriots' an alledgedly anti-semitic - weapon stockpiling group who were not fond of the federal government. Since then he has disbanded them and recently won some citizenship award or another.

Bingo - Ty Hardin played a fictional character in the movie Battle of the Bulge' called Lt Schumacher.

This composite character was based on the activities of units like Frank Stringer's Jager Battailon 502 Waffen SS.

In later life the actor Ty Harding he led the 'Arizona Patriots' an alledgedly anti-semitic - weapon stockpiling group who were not fond of the federal government. Since then he has disbanded them and recently won some citizenship award or another.

Great. I really liked that question, read some interesting stuff while looking for the answer.

I think the rumour was that he was not Goebbels son - the rumour had it that he was Hitlers ?

Yep got it in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There's some great stuff here guys, keep it up :cool:

There's some great stuff here guys, keep it up :cool:

Yeah I love peering in this thread too :p . Only got one answer right first so far, I thought my history was good. You guys are sick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Night Flight

Sepp Dietrichs good buddy Otto Skorzeny. SS Jager Battailon 502. Also under direct command of SS-Hautscharfuhrer Manns at one point or another.
    SS-Jäger-Bataillon 502 was Nazi Germany's main special forces unit from 1943-1944. Formed in June 1943, the unit was commanded by Otto Skorzeny and was based at Friedenthal just north of Berlin, consisting originally of the three hundred members of the former Sonder Lehrgang zbv Friedenthal. After an unsuccessful attempt to train members of an SS penal facility, Skorzeny obtained permission to recruit volunteers from the Wehrmacht, and a hundred SS personnel, fifty Luftwaffe and a hundred and fifty army personnel were admitted, allowing the formation of a headquarters company and two line companies. An intensive training programme was instituted.

In September 1943, fourteen members of this unit carried out the raid on Gran Sasso which resulted in the rescue of deposed Italian dictator Mussolini.
    They were later placed on standby for several operations that never took place, including a proposed kidnapping of Marshal Petain.
    In February 1944, a third company was formed from mainly Flemish and Dutch personnel with Hauptsturmfuhrer Hoyer as its commanding officer. In the same month, No. 1 and 2 companies of the battalion went to the Kurmark troop training area near Cologne for four weeks intensive training, after which they saw combat on the Eastern front for over a month. At the same time, a small detachment of veterans of the Gran Sasso raid were carrying out terrorist operations in Occupied Denmark; this group is known to have carried out ten assassinations, over thirty attacks on civilians and nearly twenty attacks on Danish factories.
    On 20 July 1944, No. 1 Company was deployed in Berlin, briefly occupying the Benderblock after the attempted assassination of Hitler.

In August 1944, fifty members of the unit carried out Operation Landfried in Romania, destroying road and railway bridges in an attempt to delay the Russian advance.
    In September 1944, SS-Jäger-Bataillon 502 was dissolved and its personnel absorbed into a new battalion, Jagdverbande Mitte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-J%C3%A4ger-Bataillon_502

From what I recall of the book Hitlers Irishmen the Jager Battailon were visited on October 1 1943 by Heinrich Himmler.

This is just 3 days before he made his infamous 'splendid jew' speech - (well worth reading imo).

http://www.holocaust-history.org/himmler-poznan/speech-text.shtml

So while he was watching the Jager Battailon do their sports show he most likely had that speech floating around in his head. Stunning to think of the coincidences and closeness to major moments in history that this group had.

• Advertisement

Ok, few more:

They are easy, so no Wiki ;-)

1. Who (or what) fired the first (official) shots of WWII? What was the target?

2. What's Benzedrine, and how does it relate to WWII?

3. What was WAAF?

4. What's the name of the weapon pictured below? (and I don't mean Lee Enfields;))

781px-Mini-tanks-p012953.jpg

Advertisement