Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW2 Trivia

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ojewriej wrote: »
    Ok, few more:

They are easy, so no Wiki ;-)

1. Who (or what) fired the first (official) shots of WWII? What was the target?

2. What's Benzedrine, and how does it relate to WWII?

3. What was WAAF?

4. What's the name of the weapon pictured below? (and I don't mean Lee Enfields;))

781px-Mini-tanks-p012953.jpg

1. Germans dressed as Polish forces attacked the Gleiwitz radio station transmitter on night of August 31 1939 and Hitler declared war following day.

Of course some say WWII arose out of WWI and it all began in Sarajevo in 1914 ;)

2. Benzedrine was used in inhalers, but becuase it is amphetamine based it is also stimulant and was used by US forces in WWII ?

3. Western Australian Air Force :D
    Womens Auxilliary Air Force or wavves ???

4. Are those tanks small or far away ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Ok, few more:

They are easy, so no Wiki ;-)

1. Who (or what) fired the first (official) shots of WWII? What was the target?

2. What's Benzedrine, and how does it relate to WWII?

3. What was WAAF?

4. What's the name of the weapon pictured below? (and I don't mean Lee Enfields;))

781px-Mini-tanks-p012953.jpg

1) schlewsig hollstein in Danzig firing on a polish barracks (which held out for almost a month if I remember correctly).

2. Used to keep US pilots awake - though the luftwaffe also used stimulants.

3) Womens Auxillary ahem Force (dont know without checking)

4) Rollerskates for Himmlers experimental late war kommando units.

jmayo wrote: »
    4. Are those tanks small or far away ;)

Mein gott - Look at de Giant Tommies ! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Morlar wrote: »
    1) schlewsig hollstein in Danzig firing on a polish barracks (which held out for almost a month if I remember correctly).

2. Used to keep US pilots awake - though the luftwaffe also used stimulants.

3) Womens Auxillary ahem Force (dont know without checking)

4) Rollerskates for Himmlers experimental late war kommando units.

Ahhhh cr** should read questions fully, didn't spot the official bit :o

US pilots were using them in Afghanistan, it supposedly led to embarassing friendly fire killing of Canadians.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

1 Morlar got this one right, (well, almost).

The shots were fired on Westerplatte. 184 poles managed to defend it for 7 days against almost 3500 German marines and SS units, supported by artillery and Luftwaffe (40 Stuka Bombers). And only 15 polish soldiers died, against 200 - 400 Germans. Poles eventually had to surender as they ran out of ammunition.

The whole September Campaign laste just a little bit over a month.

2. You both got it. Benzedrine is basicaly amfetamine, used by US Air Force to keep their soldiers awake. Germans apparently used crystal meth.

3. jmayo got the full name right - Womens Auxilliary Air Force

4. Two hints - it's a german weapon, and whoover named it had to have sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

looks like Sgt bash from Robot Wars :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Night Flight

4. Two hints - it's a german weapon, and whoover named it had to have sense of humour.

Would it be the Goliath?
    Esentially a forerunner to modern wire-guided anti-tank missiles, this remote-controlled mini-tank was loaded with explosives, however it was very slow and vulnerable to enemy fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Would it be the Goliath?
    Esentially a forerunner to modern wire-guided anti-tank missiles, this remote-controlled mini-tank was loaded with explosives, however it was very slow and vulnerable to enemy fire.

Bingo

A) What was the cathedral of light ?

B) Which remembrance day did the reichsparteitag (Reich Party Day) replace ?

C) What does RZM stand for ?

D) What are the inscriptions on the
    a) Hitler Youth knife
    b) SA Dagger
    c) SS Dagger

E) Why was the inscription on the SA Dagger changed (and even ordered changed even on all previously issued daggers) ?

F) In which movie did an english actor and actress play a concentration camp prisoner and a camp SS Doctor whose love affair was rekindled after the war. How was the story of Salome related to the above movie ?

G) Which other famous movie did the actor from F play an ambitious German who joined the nazi party for advancement & marries into an industrialists family to inherit the steelworks only to be himself usurped by somone else the party had recruited. Hint in the film he also participated in the night of the long knives.

(Hint some of the questions are roughly linked).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Is Dirk Bogarde involved in F and G by any chance? Rattling around the back of my skull at the moment.

Must resist IMDB!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

dresden8 wrote: »
    Is Dirk Bogarde involved in F and G by any chance? Rattling around the back of my skull at the moment.

Must resist IMDB!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep tis Mr Bogarde himself - F & G relate to 2 of his more controversial movies (aside from 'the servant')

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

Dirk Bogarde allright - the night porter I think the other one is The Damned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Night Flight

Was it an effect at the Nuremburg Rallies ie hundreds of searchlights lighting up the night sky (Speer'd idea)

a) Hitler Youth knife Blood and Honour
    b) SA Dagger Alles fur Deutschland
    c) SS Dagger Mein Ehre Heisst Treue

F) In which movie did an english actor and actress play a concentration camp prisoner and a camp SS Doctor whose love affair was rekindled after the war. How was the story of Salome related to the above movie ?

The Night Porter?

Wolff wrote: »
    Dirk Bogarde allright - the night porter I think the other one is The Damned

Correct on both counts. Just found this on wiki which I thought was interesting enough ;

In April 1945, he claimed he was one of the first Allied officers to reach the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in Germany, an experience that had the most profound effect on him and about which he found it difficult to speak for many years afterward. His horror and revulsion at the cruelty and inhumanity that he witnessed in Belsen left him with a deep-seated hostility towards Germany; he wrote in the 1990s that he would disembark from an elevator rather than ride with a German.

"My views were formulated as a 24-year-old officer in Normandy ... On one occasion the Jeep ahead hit a mine ... Next thing I knew, there was this chap in the long grass beside me. A bloody bundle, shrapnel-ripped, legless, one arm only. The one arm reached out to me, white eyeballs wide, unseeing, in the bloody mask that had been a face. A gurgling voice said, 'Help. Kill me.' With shaking hands I reached for my small pouch to load my revolver ... I had to look for my bullets -- by which time somebody else had already taken care of him. I heard the shot. I still remember that gurgling sound. A voice pleading for death ...

"During the war I saw more wounded men being 'taken care of' than I saw being rescued. Because sometimes you were too far from a dressing station, sometimes you couldn't get them out. And they were pumping blood or whatever; they were in such a wreck, the only thing to do was to shoot them. And they were, so don't think they weren't. That hardens you: You get used to the fact that it can happen. And that it is the only sensible thing to do."

Was it an effect at the Nuremburg Rallies ie hundreds of searchlights lighting up the night sky (Speer'd idea)

a) Hitler Youth knife Blood and Honour
    b) SA Dagger Alles fur Deutschland
    c) SS Dagger Mein Ehre Heisst Treue

The Night Porter?

Correct on all counts.

This leaves ;

E) Why was the inscription on the SA Dagger changed (and even ordered changed even on all previously issued daggers) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Who said/wrote this?

"My conscience compels me to make the following declaration. In the solitude of my prison cell I have come to the bitter recognition that I have sinned gravely against humanity. I was responsible for carrying out part of the cruel plans of the "Third Reich" for human destruction. In so doing I have inflicted terrible wounds on humanity. I caused unspeakable suffering for the Polish people in particular. I am to pay for this with my life. May the Lord God forgive one day what I have done."

was that Hans Frank ? AKA (Jokingly) 'The King of Poland' in SS Circles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Morlar wrote: »
    Correct on all counts.

This leaves ;

B) Rememberance day Nov 11th ? (Guess)

C) Reich Zeug Meistere ?

E) Changed after the Night of the Long Knives with Rohms execution ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

marcsignal wrote: »
    B) Rememberance day Nov 11th ? (Guess)

C) Reich Zeug Meistere ?

E) Changed after the Night of the Long Knives with Rohms execution ??

I think it was originally (in part) a replacement for Sedan Day. RZM & Night of the long (SA) knives correct !

• Advertisement

Nope.
    Clue: Captured by British troops disguised as a farmer on 11/3/46 & executed by Polish Authorities 16/4/47.

Rudolf Hoss.

Advertisement