Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toll Trolls

• 13-06-2008 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

Do you like the toll trolls on 98fm in Dublin?

Do you like the Toll Trolls? 7 votes

Yeah they're great!
    0% 0 votes
    No they Go through my skin!
    100% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

I live in Galway so could you give me the lowdown on these trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I live in Galway so could you give me the lowdown on these trolls.

Sorry i should have mentioned they're on the dublin station "98Fm.

They are a comedy sketch in which two Breakfast show Presenters record a little comedy piece but change the pitch of their voices to a higher pitch so it's real funny.

You gan get a podcast. Just type in "Trollcast" to I-tunes.

Just listened to 20 seconds of it and I want those responsible to die.Harsh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Playing around with the tape recorder to make my voice high pitched was the funniest thing ever when I was 5 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Playing around with the tape recorder to make my voice high pitched was the funniest thing ever when I was 5 years old.

This guy ^^^^^ has the right idea... Bloody hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Absolutely fcuking hate them.

Its takes a complete lack of talent and imagination to think that messing about with high pitched voices on radio is in anyway entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Personally, I think they're exceptionally poor, and fall squarely into the "Listen to us. We sound silly" school of joke-free Iirsh comedy popularised by Jimmy Cricket and latterly Katherine Lynch.

On regional radio, (there are no doubt several , but this is one Im aware of ..) One of the KFM dj's has a similar slot, where, like the Morning show on 98, he assumes that playing his voice at a higher speed is sufficiently funny for the sketch to be accepted as humorous, without the need to include any actual jokes.

This is not true.

Older radio-heads will cite "Jim O Neill and Thing" on Radio 2 as the inspiration for this embarrassment, but the subtle difference is that Jim Sped up the voice AND remembered to include jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Just listened to 20 seconds of it and I want those responsible to die.Harsh?

fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Fago_25 wrote: »
    This guy ^^^^^ has the right idea... Bloody hilarious!

If you were to focus on the "5 years old" comment, I don't think he was agreeing with you, Fago.....

Funny coz the poll says there are four people with no comedic taste that voted this great.Sad eh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

M and 50 rock, their fame has reached limerick, have the first 2 cds - rather funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

As per other posters this type of sketch didn't originate on 98. I also remember in the mid 90s that The Strawberrry Alarm Clock with Colm Hayes, Joan Lee and Justin Mc Kenna having a similar sketch and it was called The Trolly Dolly's. It was funnier than 98's version.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

hmmm! i think 98 should have a look at boards and see what people think of their toll trolls............. very annoying like thats what people need to be hearing in the morning time two sqweeky little annoying voices coming out of the radio instead of music or news or somthing that god forbid might actually be funny.

Indie18 wrote: »
    hmmm! i think 98 should have a look at boards and see what people think of their toll trolls............. very annoying like thats what people need to be hearing in the morning time two sqweeky little annoying voices coming out of the radio instead of music or news or somthing that god forbid might actually be funny.

As far as I can tell the majority of people over all think they're brilliant.

As far as I can tell the majority of people over all think they're brilliant.

look at the poll

Indie18 wrote: »
    look at the poll

I said overall.. the majority of listeners to 98 haven't voted on this poll.

I know from being in different offices and hearing people talk about them that a lot of people find this sort of humour to be brilliant.

thats ok with me i mean who am i to bad mouth what people find funny different jokes for different folks (terrible i know). its just not for me neither is 98 fm for that matter but thats another thread.

Advertisement