Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA overturn portos champions league ban

• 13-06-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭

irish times breaking news:

http://0-www.ireland.com.ditlib.dit.ie/sports/soccer/2008/0613/1213305685582.html
    Uefa overturns Porto ban

Friday, June 13, 2008

Uefa's appeal body has overturned the decision to exclude Porto from next season's Champions League.

The original decision was taken by Uefa's disciplinary committee, who will now get the chance to examine the case again after their initial ruling was dismissed in light of new evidence.

A Uefa statement read: "The Uefa appeals body met today to hear the appeal filed by Porto against the decision taken by the Uefa control and disciplinary body on Wednesday, June 4th, in which the Portuguese club were not admitted to the 2008/09 Uefa Champions League.

"The appeals body decided, in the light of new evidence submitted in relation to domestic Portuguese appeals procedures, to refer the matter back to the control and disciplinary body for reassessment."

The statement continued: "Having listened to representatives of Porto, the Portuguese Football Federation, Benfica and Vitoria, as well as Uefa, the appeals body decided to annul the challenged decision and to refer the matter back to the control and disciplinary body for reassessment.

"The control and disciplinary body will meet next week to take a decision on Porto's admission to the 2008/09 Uefa Champions League. The date of the meeting will be communicated in due course."

The proposed ban came after a lengthy investigation known as Apito Dourado, or Golden Whistle, into alleged bribery by Porto of referees in matches in the 2003-04 season. The probe has been headline news in Portugal for several years.

Porto won the Champions League that season under the guidance of Jose Mourinho but the current Inter Milan manager was not implicated in the investigation.

© 2008 ireland.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Bad news for A.C. Milan, and anyone hoping to get Porto players on the cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Quaresma has already left apparently..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Do original punishments ever stick anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Do original punishments ever stick anymore?
    Leeds anyone ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i think thats a shocking decision. i mean its basically condoning bribery and corruption

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Leeds anyone ??

nah that doesn't count. the original punishment was inflicted 2.5 times ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

joker77 wrote: »
    Bad news for A.C. Milan, and anyone hoping to get Porto players on the cheap

What player were Milan looking at? Only porto player linked with an Italian team was Qua and he was linked with Inter.

Seaneh wrote: »
    What player were Milan looking at? Only porto player linked with an Italian team was Qua and he was linked with Inter.

i think he may have meant bad news for AC Milan as in they wont be getting Portos place now (they really shouldnt have anyway)

and the other part was separate i think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

WHAT A JOKE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

kryogen wrote: »
    i think he may have meant bad news for AC Milan as in they wont be getting Portos place now (they really shouldnt have anyway)

and the other part was separate i think

I doubt Milan are conceited enough to think they would, sure it was obvious that a team would just get a buy in the qualifiers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I doubt Milan are conceited enough to think they would, sure it was obvious that a team would just get a buy in the qualifiers...
    I do not think that that would happen. Must go and check the rules.

no there was talk on here a while ago and speculation about it thats all, i wouldnt subscribe to the idea myself either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I dont get this,they least could wait longer to pull back their decision,not put it on and just pull it back in 2 weeks,its funny....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

joker77 wrote: »
    Bad news for A.C. Milan,

Oh well..

blogimg_1725_30228-20080519080618524330.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ah poor flamini for all the good he has done for arsenal all he has to do is disrespect the fans and f*ck off and they all turn on him.......shocking!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

kryogen wrote: »
    i think thats a shocking decision. i mean its basically condoning bribery and corruption

Completely agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

They did the same for Milan 2 years ago, so why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I bet the "new evidence" that came to light was handed to the UEFA bigwigs in a brown envelope!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

grahamo wrote: »
    I bet the "new evidence" that came to light was handed to the UEFA bigwigs in a brown envelope!

I was thinking the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

grahamo wrote: »

don't be an idiot!!

i think it's obvious it was a cloth bad with a dollar sign on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement