Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 Lane Driving

Options
  • 13-06-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

What is it about Irish people that makes them unable to drive on a road of more than two lanes??
    I know three lane roads are only a relatively new phenomenon to us but seriously...
    Every time I drive in/out the 3 lane section of the M7 I am faced with clowns who think it's perfectly normal to do 60kmh in the middle lane, while there is nothing to stop them being in the inside lane.
    If these eejits stuck to the lane appropriate for their speed there would be no undertaking and no people doing less than the speed limit in the outside lane because they have to overtake them.
    I think these people think that the middle lane is the inside lane because they have a lane to their right, therefore it must be, fookin dopes!!
    Anyhow rant over, off I go to the lovely M7 again...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

What is the exact law or rule of the road regarding three lane roads? I presume its the same as two lanes except there is an extra driving lane to the left for the slowest of traffic? When I did my test there was no such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Most people dont know how to drive on 2 lane roads, never mind 3 lanes.

X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

Some people struggle on single lane roads never mind 2 or 3 lanes.

I know the theory in england is that on the 3 lane motorways that it goes 50, 60, 70 mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

xabi wrote: »

X.

Can't drive on 1 lane never mind 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think that one of the problems (but just one!) is the signage on the road. The signs on the gantries is broken into 3 sections, one for each lane. The left most one has the name of the area that the next exit serves, the middle and right ones have Dublin/M50 (I can't remember the exact wording)

For people who don't know the road, this makes it look as if being in the left lane will bring you off the N7. So people wanting to go to Dublin or the M50 assume that they need to be in one of the other lanes, and trot along on their merry way.

This is reinforced by the fact that you need to be in the middle lane when heading out of town in order to go on to the M7, as the left lane turns off the N7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lightening wrote: »
    What is the exact law or rule of the road regarding three lane roads? I presume its the same as two lanes except there is an extra driving lane to the left for the slowest of traffic? When I did my test there was no such thing.

No, theres an extra lane on the *right*. The leftmost lane is still the leftmost lane as on a 2 lane road. Its not some magic lane you stay out of, which 80% of drivers seem to think...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

lightening wrote: »
    I presume its the same as two lanes except there is an extra driving lane to the left for the slowest of traffic? When I did my test there was no such thing.

Climbing lanes aside, there's no lane for slowest traffic. We drive on the left, and overtake on the right. So by rights, everyone should be in the left lane, unless they're actively overtaking the vehicle (or vehicles) in front. When they've finished overtaking, they should return the the left lane (unless there's a junction and they're turning right). This is applies regardless of the amount of lanes on the road.

So the right lane should only be used by cars that are overtaking the cars in the middle lane that are overtaking the cars in the left lane, returning to the left lane when finished. With everyone observing the upper speed limit and relevant braking distance for their speed and conditions.

Of course, real life is not so idyllic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Tazdedub wrote: »
    I know the theory in england is that on the 3 lane motorways that it goes 50, 60, 70 mph.

Did I miss the sarcasm here, or are you telling me something new and interesting?

Having spent years and tens of thousands of miles driving UK motorways I can confirm it is the same as it should be here. Left lane for driving, 2 other overtaking lanes - unless Tazedub can provide a linky otherwise :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

It's the N7 thats 3 lanes, just 2 on the M7 which makes perfect sense (but thats a whole other discussion)

I travel it every day and totally agree with you. The amount of times in the morning when its quiet that I have to move from the inside lane to the middle to the outside lane and then back into the middle and back into the inside lane just to overtake some clown in the middle lane dawdling along.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ah yes, the 4 lane overtaking manoeuvre, have done it myself many a time....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thank you phutyle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

MYOB wrote: »
    No, theres an extra lane on the *right*. The leftmost lane is still the leftmost lane as on a 2 lane road. Its not some magic lane you stay out of, which 80% of drivers seem to think...
    QFT.

Everyone knows the left lane is planted with land mines that will explode if you drive over them.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

xabi wrote: »

X.

+1

this is so true! what does my head in is the eejits that pull out on to the motorway and head directly for the overtaking lane even though there's no traffic on the road. ffs!!!! aaaaghhhhh.... i want to kill them all aaaarrrrrrrrrggghhhhhh!!!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Tazdedub wrote: »
    Some people struggle on single lane roads never mind 2 or 3 lanes.

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

People have a mental thing about it being a "slow lane" and dont want to have everyone passing them out. Generally HGV's etc are supposed to keep into the left, cars in the middle and overtaking on the right! Extremely complicated I know ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

bryanmurr wrote: »
    People have a mental thing about it being a "slow lane" and dont want to have everyone passing them out. Generally HGV's etc are supposed to keep into the left, cars in the middle and overtaking on the right! Extremely complicated I know ;)

Not totally true.
    Everyone is supposed to keep left. HGV's are allowed use the middle to overtake. They're not allowed use the right lane when the speed limit is over a certain level (80 or 100, can't remember).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

But sure three lanes would only confuse the poor uneducated Irish motorist even more, and anyway you can only drive in one at a time, unless like some people you feel the need to hog two at once.

Left is best unless your overtaking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JCDUB wrote:
    What is it about Irish people that makes them unable to drive on a road of more than two lanes??
    Haven't you been told ?
    The left lane is reserved for me, I get to drive in my own private lane most of the time on 3 lane roads :D
    MYOB wrote: »
    Ah yes, the 4 lane overtaking manoeuvre, have done it myself many a time....
    qft
    sometimes I stop in the middle lane in front of them for a few seconds, not much point really since they probably haven't a clue what's going on, but just maybe

Advertisement