Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question About Tarot Cards

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

johnsix wrote: »
    But there is no evidence that any from of divination predicts anything.
    Maybe someone should prove that it works before you start working out how it works.
    Perhaps a better question is: what does it work for?

I suppose you would agree that understanding of the contents and workings of our subconscious can be good and healthy?
    johnsix wrote: »
    2+2=4 no matter how you look at it. Doesn't matter how much you want it to equal 5, 2+2=4
    Sure. Unless you define the symbol "5" to designate the number four. Or you you define the symbol "=" to mean "is less than". And so forth. There is a reason why people don't talk very much about Truth outside of the (completely abandoned) Philosophy forum. It isn't a particlularly useful concept.

ntlbell wrote: »
    her exp is cards mine are words why should her weigh more on cards?
    Your "exp" is in words? Not from where I'm standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Sapien wrote: »
    Any instance of there being a number of possible explanations for a phenomenon, and any but the simplest of those being shown to be correct. Sometimes it is actually a zebra, and not a horse.

Indeed. The change of mindset of which I am talking is one in which you might be able to recognise how the ability of the mind to trick itself can sometimes be used to advantage. Apophenia, for instance, of which you are so fond, is exploited in divination processes to access the subconscious (or psychic faculties, depending on how much you're willing to consider).

Changing ones mindset does indeed change the truth. Unfortunately, it might require a change of mindset in order for you to be able to understand that.

Oh dear... I'm condescending again.

How does delving into ones own mind prove the ability to read not only someone elses mind but what their life holds for them? or the past they have all ready lived? can you explain how one interconnects to the other?

regardless of where we can go in our mind can you explain how it related to SOMEONE ELSE'S FUTURE/PAST?

changing someone's mindset has never been in discussion for the whole thread can you explain how this assits's in predicting SOMEONE ELSE'S PAST/FUTURE

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Your "exp" is in words? Not from where I'm standing.

are you lowering this conversation into a spelling competition or are you trying to predict what I have assumed about 6th based on the words he's typed?

this should be good....

How does delving into ones own mind prove the ability to read not only someone elses mind but what their life holds for them?
    I never said it did. There's only so much can achieve over a discussion board from a starting point of standard, common-or-garden skepticism-slash-atheism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Not really ntlbell, cos as fun as it has been watching your interactions here you are bound to overstep in to your trolling pattern.

Sometimes magic is a change of mindset.
    Magic is the art and science of affecting change in accordance with one's will.
    This change can occur 1) in the outer, manifest world; 2)in the magician's consciousness; and 3) most often in both, for changing one often changes the other.

are you lowering this conversation into a spelling competition or are you trying to predict what I have assumed about 6th based on the words he's typed?

this should be good....
    Oh deary, weary me. You claim to be justified in your dismissal of another poster because of your "exp in words", in a series of dreadfully poorly written and horribly misspelled posts, and then reprimand me for "lowering this conversation into a spelling competition"? Are you quite serious?

And, just to clarify, are you saying that being in your late twenties means that you can discount another person's insight or experience if it spans a period of time less than your age? It's rather hard to tell what exactly you're saying. What with the poor spelling and absence of punctuation, you know?

is the penny dropping here yet?
    You're becoming slightly more comprehensible, if that's what you mean.

For my part, when 90% of what a person writes in barely intelligible, I assume the person is a bit of a moron.

I still don't understand this:
    I've lived on this planet almost 30 years, and like the dear lady that has 17 years exp in tarot i have 30 years of life exp....

i have 30 years dealing with the odd delusional moron......

so she believes in something based on her 17 years exp of dealing with the cards, so i can only assume that my life exp of dealing with odd delusion moron holds as much weight?

so i can discount anything you have to say as nonsensical?
    Or were you just being flippant? It's hard to tell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ntlbell banned for personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭johnsix

Perhaps a better question is: what does it work for?

I suppose you would agree that understanding of the contents and workings of our subconscious can be good and healthy?
    Yea it's a part of psychology. Still your subconscious doesn't predict the future
    Sure. Unless you define the symbol "5" to designate the number four. Or you you define the symbol "=" to mean "is less than". And so forth. There is a reason why people don't talk very much about Truth outside of the (completely abandoned) Philosophy forum. It isn't a particlularly useful concept.
    Actually prue mathematics is the only place pure provable truth exists.
    Regardless of how you symbolise it, if i had two objects and then gain two more i would have 4 objects. We just shorten that to 2+2=4. If we where to take your example where 4 is symbolised by 5,

2+2=5

5=4 therefore 2+2=4.

No matter how you symbolize this concept, it is true. Mathematics sorta goes from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

then why use cards at all? is there any evidence, beyond the practitioners belief, that there is anything in them

It helps a lot!! I can't even emphasise how much strain it takes off of me. I'm pretty young but I seem to be very in tune. Maybe it is because I'm young that I feel like my head is buzzing when I 'get' something. I could tune into someone, give them correct information but end up with a horrible headache the next day. Having the cards helps to channel all the energy I think. I can'y explain it without sounding weird but it's like they give you something to lean on so your head isn't being wrecked with random messages!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

MizzLolly wrote: »
    I could tune into someone, give them correct information but end up with a horrible headache the next day. :D
    Why don't you tune into me now,give me your impressions and i will send you some paracetamol if you get a headache;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 shadowatching

IF the same cards came up, for the same person, but is told differently. BUT, with the same meaning, its a warning. BUT, if its the same person, with the same cards, its someoting to really look in to....

OK, its 3 am and if my thought is my spelling is off, then i must sleep, Good night for now all. I will be up in almost 4 hours for the day of stuff.

Advertisement