Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&B wants cash deposit (via post) - dodgy?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Booking a B&B for later in the month... They've no Cr Card machine, and want a cash deposit in the post.

Is this a bit dodgy, or usual form of practice?

Is there not a 'B&B code' where Cr Cards have to be accepted?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dunno about the cc policy, but by cash I hope they mean cheque/draft cos no-one should send cash in the post.

Is the B&B registered, graded or approved by anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Never heard of a B/B asking for a fee up front .One normally pays on depatrure once everybody is happy with price and surroundings

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it's a busy place or they've been stung before why not, when you book a hotel they take you CC details and if you don't show up will charge you.

I'm assuming as Oryx said they mean cheque, don't send money. You could also send a post dated cheque, but it doens't make any difference as a bank will still clear it before the date if lodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I worked in the tourist office many years ago, and it is common practice for many to ask for deposit by cash up front. Naturally cheque, bank draft etc would be acceptable. If the property is booked with a tourist office though, you can cut this out, as the tourist office will take the deposit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

There is an annual charge for having a CC installed and maintained, and often small B +B's dont make enough profit to make them viable.

(This happened to me before, and I asked as a curious retailer :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

SDooM wrote: »
    There is an annual charge for having a CC installed and maintained, and often small B +B's dont make enough profit to make them viable.

(This happened to me before, and I asked as a curious retailer :) )

Sorry to go off topic, but ui'd love to know what the charges actually are? Do you have to pay a dial-up telephone fee for each transaction too or is that done away with now that there's broadband etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

All businesses who accept CC must have electronic terminal.

The cost of this varies from €15 - €25 per month depending on how much business you do.

A set-up fee of €100 can also apply, this is waived if its likely that your turnover will exceed certain amounts.

Comission on payments range from 1% to 3.5% for credit cards, up to 5% for amex, & 10c - 30c per transaction for laser

So small part-time B&B will not have the facility due to costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'd say that's a normal enough thing for B&B to request - it's probably all very safe and above board. Just remember that you're probably also going to have the pay the balance by cash too, so bring cash with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Yes its fairly normal practice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

mcaul wrote: »
    All businesses who accept CC must have electronic terminal.

The cost of this varies from €15 - €25 per month depending on how much business you do.

A set-up fee of €100 can also apply, this is waived if its likely that your turnover will exceed certain amounts.

Comission on payments range from 1% to 3.5% for credit cards, up to 5% for amex, & 10c - 30c per transaction for laser

Interesting to note here is that alot of shops in Ireland refuse to accept AMEX because of their inflated rates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

mcaul wrote: »

Costs may be one reason.

I'd say the other *ahem* advantages of running a cash business also appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Costs may be one reason.

I'd say the other *ahem* advantages of running a cash business also appeal.

You can still pay by cheque, and it would be hard to swipe cash under the carpet without Revenue breathing down their necks. Registered B&B's do get audited by random selection, same as any other business.

Advertisement