Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect on the PC

Options
  • 13-06-2008 4:11pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got this a few days ago. Really impressed by it. Mouse & Keyboard works great with it.

Has anyone played both PC and console versions? Much of a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I've played the console version for an hour or two, much prefer the PC handling by far ! I find the Inventory system a little annoying though, when you reach the 150 item quota you find yourself getting rid of all the duplicate ammo types and weapons over and over again, one by one !! If you were able to multi select it'd make things a lot more hassle free.

The running speed can be annoying when trying to get from one place to another, its like a fast walk by the look of things ! In some of the missions the sheer amount of elevators is annoying, i realise they're used for loading purposes and all, but there's just so many !

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭WEST

I'm about 10 hours in on the PC version. Its a great game with a few flaws as stated by Pyr0. Just been able to select one item at a time in your inventory is a royal pain in the a*s

If you are into fast paced action, this in not for you. You do have a few fights with enemies but most of you time is spent running back and forth between different locations, looking at log files, and just talking to the characthers you meet.

If you like a game with a great story and like upgrading your characthers etc you will love it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Got tired of it on 360 as the controls are just ..... well they are crap compared to pc.
    Always said id wait for the pc version,picked it up but only played an hour or so but obviously the controls are so much better on pc, visuals are a lot better on a good pc,high res is and plenty of AA is so much better looking.
    Ive no framerate issues unlike the 360 version which is known to have fps issues in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Yeah i watched a couple of trailers on youtube about this game. looks really interesting alright. Will def have to pick it up and give it a lash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Ive got it for the Xbox. Its not great with the controller, but its not bad. Very good game, definitely worth a look on pc or Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Dose the game come with any kind of construction set for making mods or anything like that?

Dose the game come with any kind of construction set for making mods or anything like that?

Not sure, I dont remember seeing anything for making mods although I know there's a few mods out for the game already.

I finished the game yesterday after 11.5 hours of play, thought there would be more although I did not complete many of the side quests.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I've played the console version for an hour or two, much prefer the PC handling by far ! I find the Inventory system a little annoying though, when you reach the 150 item quota you find yourself getting rid of all the duplicate ammo types and weapons over and over again, one by one !! If you were able to multi select it'd make things a lot more hassle free.

The running speed can be annoying when trying to get from one place to another, its like a fast walk by the look of things ! In some of the missions the sheer amount of elevators is annoying, i realise they're used for loading purposes and all, but there's just so many !

They're all fair points - I'd have to agree with you. I haven't got that far into the game (Age of Conan has me sidetracked) but I could see the inventory thing being a pain in the ass. Easy thing to patch though.
    Dcully wrote: »
    Got tired of it on 360 as the controls are just ..... well they are crap compared to pc.
    Always said id wait for the pc version,picked it up but only played an hour or so but obviously the controls are so much better on pc, visuals are a lot better on a good pc,high res is and plenty of AA is so much better looking.
    Ive no framerate issues unlike the 360 version which is known to have fps issues in parts.

I was the same. I hate shooters of any sort on consoles. Just can't compare with mouse & keyboard for me or perhaps thats just what I'm used too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Aye it'd be very easy to change in a patch and I hope they do it. One major problem with the game though happens if you use a no-cd crack (and have bought the game of course) and try to use the Galaxy map, you just end up with a blank screen and are unable to progress. The no-cd also disables the "Save Game" option. A royal pain in the ass for people who play loads of games and don't wanna go switching cds all of the time, but a pretty good way to stop downloading.

So if anyone happens to replace their original exe with a no-cd, just use the "repair" function to get the original exe back.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Aye it'd be very easy to change in a patch and I hope they do it. One major problem with the game though happens if you use a no-cd crack (and have bought the game of course) and try to use the Galaxy map, you just end up with a blank screen and are unable to progress. The no-cd also disables the "Save Game" option. A royal pain in the ass for people who play loads of games and don't wanna go switching cds all of the time, but a pretty good way to stop downloading.

So if anyone happens to replace their original exe with a no-cd, just use the "repair" function to get the original exe back.

One of the benefits of buying digitally :) I'm always wary of no-cd patches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

You do realise that the game can be played without a disk in the drive once you install it from the cd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I would say the PC version would be better in terms of mods and graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Just finished it now a very good game with a in depth main plot which you can easily get into and with a dramatic moments where your choices are critical.

But im really really really pissed off with the fact that when you finish the main story thats it its finished you have to start all over again if you want to do side quests that you didnt do and i really pissed off that i cant go off and properly finish it now :mad:

Stev_o wrote: »
    Just finished it now a very good game with a in depth main plot which you can easily get into and with a dramatic moments where your choices are critical.

But im really really really pissed off with the fact that when you finish the main story thats it its finished you have to start all over again if you want to do side quests that you didnt do and i really pissed off that i cant go off and properly finish it now :mad:

If you load one of your most recent saves you should be able to go back to the Normandy and do the side quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

fantastic game,one of the most engrossing ive played this year. Played it for a few hours in my mates house and didnt really enjoy it,but after playing it on the pc i cant get enough of it, now to wait for the DLC :P

*cough* hope KOTOR 3 is as good as this,well hopefully the inventory wont be as annoying *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Lads, anyone got any idea how to fix the General Protection Fault error when starting the game up?

Bought it at the weekend installed it and once I 'Press Any Key' it freezes up and I get a general protection fault error message, can't play the game at all! Its a surprisingly common problem according to google but can't find a fix for it at all.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

i think this game is really disappointing its just a huge let down everything except the graphics, story and the setting was just... average

i started to get annoyed at the AI first not going were i told it to go, using their biotic in the first few seconds of battle getting stuck on walls not shooting etc then theres the enemy ai i did a Luna mission or something walked into the bunker and about 20 drones blobbed up together and charged me?! to beat that mission i had to "exploit" the ai, the worlds are boring to barren nothing there.

side quests simple collect this and that, combat i find is just boring did not like it at all, ah well each to their own i guess anyone want a copy of mass effect? i was expecting baldurs gate in space, i think the witcher is a better RPG..

Advertisement