Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Manhattan Strain

Options
  • 13-06-2008 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

I don't know if any of you are aware of the Dare to be Digital Competition, but it is a yearly competition where students pitch their game idea in the hope of getting to develop it over 10 weeks. Then at the end of the 10 weeks, the teams head over to Scotland to show off their game to the public. Three teams (there are 17 in total) then go to the BAFTA's where one of them will win the "One to Watch" award!!!

This year, my team entered the competition with a strategy game called The Manhattan Strain and were the only Irish team to go through to the development stage!!

We encourage you to check out blog on the Dare website and Vote for US :D and our website and give us feedback on the game, good or bad.

We really do appreciate it if you vote for us, it quick and easy to register and vote plus you get to see what's happening in each of the Dare teams. The voting isn't to vote which is the best game or anything, but it's nice to have a high score :)

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the game idea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

voted for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

MooseJam wrote: »
    voted for you :)

Thanks very much, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Voted!

Thanks!! Feel free to comment on the game idea, good, bad or indifferent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Benzino wrote: »
    I don't know if any of you are aware of the Dare to be Digital Competition, but it is a yearly competition where students pitch their game idea in the hope of getting to develop it over 10 weeks. Then at the end of the 10 weeks, the teams head over to Scotland to show off their game to the public. Three teams (there are 17 in total) then go to the BAFTA's where one of them will win the "One to Watch" award!!!

This year, my team entered the competition with a strategy game called The Manhattan Strain and were the only Irish team to go through to the development stage!!

We encourage you to check out blog on the Dare website and Vote for US :D and our website and give us feedback on the game, good or bad.

We really do appreciate it if you vote for us, it quick and easy to register and vote plus you get to see what's happening in each of the Dare teams. The voting isn't to vote which is the best game or anything, but it's nice to have a high score :)

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the game idea.

Ohhh, you poor, poor bastards....
    I was part of dare last year and all i can say is the best of luck, you've got a hell of a job ahead of you.

• Advertisement

Ohhh, you poor, poor bastards....
    I was part of dare last year and all i can say is the best of luck, you've got a hell of a job ahead of you.

Hehe, oh I am planned for that. Since we started, I have been working late nearly every day and have working weekends too. Alot of work to get done in 10 weeks :(

However the experience so far is awesome. Just yesterday we had Peter McNally from Havok showing us mapping techniques in 3Ds Max and how they went about making a real-time tech demo for an engine. I mean in 2 hours, this guy probably covered a whole semester's worth of information. It's so frigging cool seeing the professionals work.

We also have had Tony Kelly and Brendan from DemonWare giving us invaluable information about project management, interface design and a whole bunch of stuff. These guys worked on Call of Duty 4.

Were you a contestant in Dare or did you work as a tech guy for the teams?

I was team lead and a coder working mostly with AI. We has ah...interesting... team seeing as one of our artists sent us someone else's portfolio and we took him at face value.
    Finding out on day two that he couldn't even texture a box was....something special.

Anyway you think it's tough now, get ready for the 40 hours running up to the end of the project.

I hope you like coffee.
    I mean, really like coffee.
    because you won't after this :)

I don't like coffee :(
    But I do like lucozade :D

That was an aweful thing for your artist to pull, I think I would have killed him!!!

Benzino wrote: »
    I don't like coffee :(
    But I do like lucozade :D

That was an aweful thing for your artist to pull, I think I would have killed him!!!

nah, being himself was punishment enough.

nah, being himself was punishment enough.

haha

• Advertisement
Advertisement