Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Graph Paper 1 Thoughts.

Options
  • 13-06-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

SO i finished almost an hour early, did all i could and that was it.
    I thought the paper was much harder than previous years and they had a few little nasty things thrown in.
    I did
    Q1
    Q3
    Q4
    Q7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Yeah I agree it was harder then other years but still not too bad. Might have got my A1. As you said there were a few little nasty things thrown in!

I did:
    Q1, Q3, Q6, Q7 and some of 4

What did ye get for the distance in 1 (d)??

And also the inclination in Oblique plane??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

So much for the easy send-ff.

What was the end of Q3 like? The "touching" implications put me off it . . .

I did Q1 - All good - but can someone explain (c)?

I drew a line from B (65mm) parallel to DF in Drawing 1 - then drew brought it down to contact a Radius (65mm) from B in drawing 2 - then brought that point over to contact a radius (65mm) from B in Drawing 3 . . . From there I drew the line in, and got an angle (never measured it) that was extremely acute - like 15 degrees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

I thought it was a nice enough paper. Solids in contact was an easy one, I thought, no locus necessary.

The locus question was very standard, but for Q1 I found it hard to keep it all on the page.

I also got a very acute angle for 1(c).

I got 54mm I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

I thought it was tough alright. For Q1(d) I got 22mm, no idea how though. I i couldnt remember how do do it at all!

I love p2, so I hope that'll drag me up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 dshalloo

I thought it was a Nice paper!!

I did

1 - nice, not sure about part C I got 60degrees for the angle to plane abc and part d my distance was 32mm

3- Think i got full marks, just need to check out a part of the trace

4- Had trouble with this the plan was a little hard but got there in the end

5 - Lovely Question Deffinetly Lovely lots!!!

Can anyone say how they did the trace in 3c, its annoying me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Thoight the paper was a bit different, and a bit harder. Just made a small mistake I know from reading above

1 - Went good except couldn't find the angle of the line so said it was equal to dihedral angle. Also forgot to measure shortest distance, was in a rush at the end.

3 - Did not know the height of the cylinder (didnt notice the thin light line til after!) but made it look like the drawing. Went perfect except that I wrote on the side I didnt know the height of cylinder, so will be punished more that if I kept my gob shut!!!

5 - Went fine. Good indeed.

6 - Part (1) so so easy. Part (2), didn't know the necessary construction so I couldn't find the second focal point. Got a reasonable guess and drew an ellipse that was tangential to the line. Will be punished for lack of construction proof obviously though.

7 - Sèx on a sheet!!

So here's what I got the;

Q1 (a) - Correct
    (b) - Correct
    (c) - Very acute angle, shown in Drawing 3.
    (d) 54mm

Q2 - (a) - Correct
    (b) Line ended up going straight from P to the upper section of lABl?
    (c) Looking at Triangle ABC, I ended up putting C where "E" was, then A along lACl and finally B touching lDCl?

Q5 - (a) The combined movement of P more or less stayed in around the centre of the drawing, moving up, then down in the middle of the movement, before moving back up again - never too much distance involved in terms of measuring from the horizontal.
    (b) Confusing - ****ed up my whole test, this did. I put lOPl as a base, then was able to draw one half a spiral using six sections - then realising it should only be three sections (very messy job but It looked right).

Q6 - Disaster . . .

(a) Was the Directrix supposed to be along lAFl after swinging 0.8 off lFPl?
    (b) Horrible . . . Drew the triangle - Was "B" in fact a Vertex? And how did you get the Directrix? I blanked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I did pass.....Nice paper.I managed to do 5 questions...hopefully an A :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Not a nicest paper was it

Stumbled on Q1
    done ok in Q2
    done alright inQ4
    and i liked Q5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I think there was a mistake in 6 (b), there had to be. The definition of a tangent is a line that touches a curve at ONE point only.It could NOT go through a point on the "major axis". Totally disgusted with that. Otherwise twas a hard paper. Seemed generally poorly prepared, like a pre-paper. i think were due an easy paper 2 to compensate

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

1. line of of intersection was awkward made almost horizontal so my first aux view nearly went off sheet
    (c) i just said same as dihedral angle, used that view to do it
    (d) i got 54 or 74 cant remember, i defo did shortest horizontal distance though

3. quite easy a and b, c think i got plane right

4. easiest interpenetration ever, whole back was flat and one line of the intersecting thing didnt even go into it so hardly any points to find

5. wasnt sure sometimes what point to pick between the two on the two intersecting arcs, had to draw little sketches of the circle at tht point
    b was clever, had to do it every 60 degress in stead of 30 but it was easy enough

overall i thought it was a nice paper, dreading paper 2 though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

For the logarithmic spiral, was the interval angle 60 or 30, since they didn't state it. The angle between the two lines was 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

shortys94 wrote: »
    For the logarithmic spiral, was the interval angle 60 or 30, since they didn't state it. The angle between the two lines was 60.

I took it to be 60 as well.I think it was the only way of doing it.I found part (a) of that question a bit weird.My locus was all over the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 39 moosejoose

fivetwenty wrote: »
    I got 54mm I think...
    Ya got that too. I thought it was a good paper, ad Q3 done in 25 minutes which left a nice bit o time for the interpenetration Q. hoping for the A although paper 2 could go shkyow ways.

Yea, I took 60 too, but the radii were huge and I ended up doing only a few points, I primarily took it as 30, but unless they state the interval it must be 60 right?

For the oblique planes question, how do you find the side of the square pyramid for part (c)?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shanedownfall

I thought it was a fairly hard paper, can't believe it was as bad for the last year!

I did:
    2) Twas alright. But not sure if i got the B part right.
    3) Think i got it all, but i'm unsure about the elvation of the planes.
    4) Nice question, some bits were a little tricky though. And it was an awkward, as yet unseen intersecting shape.
    5) Part A was nice. But part B was weird. I also used 60 degrees as the intervals. But the radii were huge...
    6) Terrible question. Couldn't do the second part of A, and then couldn't do part B at all :(

Luckily i had time to do five.

Disappointed because i was very confident of an A1. No chance now. I'd have to get like 100% in p2.

Anyone that did the Area's question - did your dividing line from P end up touching the upper part of lABl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

Thought it was the hardest paper in a long while. So many little tricky bits.
    Did ques 1,3,4,5 and 7. Only solids in contact was on par with other years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

My answers:

Q1: dihedral angle 104deg
    inclination (c) 15deg
    (d) 74mm. Where is 54mm coming from? :(

Q3 was the easiest solids in contact ever, I thought. I thought C was pretty standard? setup 75deg on your adjustable and draw a cone over the sphere and a cone over the inverted cone's base. Traces looked grand.

Q5 was prob my worst Q unless my answers to Q1 are off. I got it done properly and all but I made a bit of a mess. Teacher always thought us to get extra critical points for the locus so I went and got P(3 and a half) for where P is at O but sure that's not critical at all. The examiner will just think it's strange and might dock a few marks but prob not too bad.
    For (B) I used 60deg too, would the marking scheme be looking for it split to 30? I'm not sure if that's possible, haven't thought about it. Seemed to be a grandy part (B) at 60 so I did that.

Q7 looked extremely tough but it was grand. For (b) inclination to the vertical plane I got 63deg - anyone else get an answer for this? I got an edge PLAN of the surface and there was the angle - this is correct right?
    (C) of this was different but I think I got it and I liked it.

declan_lgs wrote: »
    My answers:

inclination (c) 15deg

woo 74 !!!!! I was getting worried.......saw alot of 54's so far and a guy in my class got 54 too!

For the trace in 3 (c) You put a 75 degree cone over the sphere. Then you put another 75 degree cone touching the top of the original cone. trace is a tangent to these cones in plan. Hope that made sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I think there was a mistake in 6 (b), there had to be. The definition of a tangent is a line that touches a curve at ONE point only.It could NOT go through a point on the "major axis". Totally disgusted with that. Otherwise twas a hard paper. Seemed generally poorly prepared, like a pre-paper. i think were due an easy paper 2 to compensate

It ended up looking like this, I don't think there was a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

My answers:

inclination (c) 15deg

Q5 was prob my worst Q unless my answers to Q1 are off. I got it done properly and all but I made a bit of a mess. Teacher always thought us to get extra critical points for the locus so I went and got P(3 and a half) for where P is at O but sure that's not critical at all. The examiner will just think it's strange and might dock a few marks but prob not too bad.
    For (B) I used 60deg too, would the marking scheme be looking for it split to 30? I'm not sure if that's possible, haven't thought about it. Seemed to be a grandy part (B) at 60 so I did that.

Q7 looked extremely tough but it was grand. For (b) inclination to the vertical plane I got 63deg - anyone else get an answer for this? I got an edge PLAN of the surface and there was the angle - this is correct right?
    (C) of this was different but I think I got it and I liked it.

Yeah got 75mm for Q1(d). I'd say all the 54mm's are maybe cos people did the shortest distance between the lines.. but they asked for the shortest horizontal between them. It's different.. then again, my horizontal line true length was 55mm so maybe thats it!
    For question 5 i split it into 30 degrees radii. Made up something to get the ratio..final thing looked grand, but apparently my teacher said it wasnt right. Maybe you're just meant to use 60 degs.
    And yep.. got 63 or so degrees for the vertical cut on question 7.

starkinter wrote: »
    It ended up looking like this, I don't think there was a mistake.

Woah! I actually got that then!

Still - the Directrix I just couldn't find . . .

Was (a) really as simple as it looked - with the directrix occuring along FA, four-fifths the length of FB?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

i got 74 mm aswell, and i did shortest horizontal distance, for the tangent plane in 3, i drew the 75degree cone to the inverted cone but didnt do it to the spehere so it didnt work:(

emptyspoon wrote: »
    Yeah got 75mm for Q1(d). I'd say all the 54mm's are maybe cos people did the shortest distance between the lines.. but they asked for the shortest horizontal between them.

Hang on - is this the wrong idea then?

I got a parallel line in Drawing one with the horizontal axis below it, with the distance being 54? What was the way you did it?

there wasnt any problem with the conics question!!

I'll admit it was slightly harder then other years but no mistake in the question

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

fivetwenty wrote: »
    Hang on - is this the wrong idea then?

I got a parallel line in Drawing one with the horizontal axis below it, with the distance being 54? What was the way you did it?
    You get the view with the pair of parallel lines, and then you look in the direction of the X1Y1 so that in the new view, where the lines intersect represents the shortest horiz dist - bring this point back and back and you'll have a horiz line in elevation that represents the shortest horiz distance between the 2 lines. Then you basically mark the altitude of this line.

Other than marking the height it was a very typical Q1 (d)?

• Advertisement

You get the view with the pair of parallel lines, and then you look in the direction of the X1Y1 so that in the new view, where the lines intersect represents the shortest horiz dist - bring this point back and back and you'll have a horiz line in elevation that represents the shortest horiz distance between the 2 lines. Then you basically mark the altitude of this line.

Other than marking the height it was a very typical Q1 (d)?

Yeah, and I did mark the height and got 54mm between the lines.

I find it hard to believe that people got 74mm altitude given that lACl only reached 70mm altitude? Therefore the line couldn't possibly connect?

Advertisement