Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone watching Manuel Barroso on the TV?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Maybe Barosso is a facist but a better word and more factual one would be to call him an oligarch. I hope the British parliament votes against it, give Brown more hassle. If its passed in Britain I wonder if the Lords can block it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

axer wrote: »
    because it has to be ratified by all 27 countries or it is no good.
    Unfotunately there seems to be varying opinions as to what democracy is or is not. I would think that not letting the citizens of europe decide whether to accept the treaty or to let them decide and then go against their decision is undemocratic.

It is a waste anyone else ratifying since one cannot. It is just trying to make Ireland look bad i.e. to be able to say 26 have ratified except Ireland.

I am a bit puzzled by those that think Lisbon is still alive.

Not at all what I was talking about. If there is any "looking bad" it has been brought about by the people themselves.
    IMO This is how Europe tends to work, lumbering from one crisis to another and fixing things at the 11th hour. Their view is that a way has to be found to "fix" it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    lol, I really don't see the problem here, if 26 countries vote yes then why should the stupid working class people of Ireland who voted (witch comes in at around 75,000) hold back the vote of almost 500,000,000 bring it on José, if the people of Ireland are to stupid to yes then why should 26 countries who voted yes be given the finger ?
    That not democracy.

*yawn

Do you think it would be democratic if the Treaty was passed despite Ireland's rejection? Perhaps it would be if the Treaty didn't clearly state that ALL 27 states MUST ratify it.It makes no difference if the other countries continue ratification or not - even if it ends up 26 to 1, Lisbon is still dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Maybe Barosso is a facist but a better word and more factual one would be to call him an oligarch. I hope the British parliament votes against it, give Brown more hassle. If its passed in Britain I wonder if the Lords can block it?
    I think they can because (IIRC) the Parliament Act (remember the foxhunting saga) can only be invoked by the House of Commons if the issue is in the National Interest and I think it has to have been included in the government's manifesto/programme for government (ie, have been passed by the people at general election time) for that to be the case (or something like that). I may have this backwards!

Advertisement